PDA

View Full Version : VM BB has seriously slowed since Friday 27/02/09?

DRZ400
01-03-2009, 15:13
Is anyone else having a problem ... my download rate has gone from a consistent 10meg down to 2meg ... dropping to 600K at times?

Reset the STB and still get 2meg max and have done for the last 3 days.

I purposely didn't download hardly anything Saturday and Sunday to make sure I wasn't being throttled but it's still 2meg max.

I spoke to the call centre in India and gave up twice.

In general the service from VM is excellent ... but the support from their offshore call centres is as much help as phoning my gran.

Hugh
01-03-2009, 15:30
DRZ, it may be helpful if you stated which area you are in, to see if others in that area are having problems (for instance, I am in Leeds on 10Mb, and not having any issues).

Peter_
01-03-2009, 15:34
You would be better calling up Customer Services and asking for an upgrade to a Stand Alone Cable Modem as with your present STB you can only receive 2/6Mb depending on model and as all 2Mb customers will be upgraded to 10Mb for free in the summer you will be better off with a SACM which if you want can upgraded to 20Mb, plus you would get a better connection.

They should be quite happy to upgrade you as the company would prefer all customers to swap to SACM.

Call Customer Care not Faults because they would have to transfer you as they cannot change your account.

Customer Care - 150 (Options 1 then 3)

------------------------------------------

I have just read your other thread and going with the above would probably mean a new 12 month contract and possibly a discount of some sort on the deal.

Ignitionnet
01-03-2009, 15:51
Moldova, note that the chap is a 10Mbit customer but is seeing only 2Mbit at the moment.

OP - let them know that you are on 10Mbit but are using a set top box, they will send you a shiny new cable modem.

You shouldn't actually be receiving 10Mbit via a set top anyway and systems have been being changed regarding config files, might explain why you are down to 2Mbit only now.

Peter_
01-03-2009, 16:06
Moldova, note that the chap is a 10Mbit customer but is seeing only 2Mbit at the moment.

OP - let them know that you are on 10Mbit but are using a set top box, they will send you a shiny new cable modem.

You shouldn't actually be receiving 10Mbit via a set top anyway and systems have been being changed regarding config files, might explain why you are down to 2Mbit only now.
But as I said the STB is only capable of 2/6Mb so probably on a Samsung so still not getting his speed of 10Mb, and we have both advised him to upgrade.

DRZ400
01-03-2009, 16:26
I knew the Samsung could only to up to 6mb and was surprised when for the last 3 months its been steaming in with a consistent 10Meg.

All of a sudden it dropped to 2 meg but come to think of it .. it did require a reboot on friday after the internet steady light started blinking at me.

I'm gutted as I just had Killzone 2 delivered and its lagging on my 2meg connection.

I phoned customer services and apparently they're going to send me a modem this week.

I persumed it must have been a fault as I've been on 10 meg for the last 3 months.

Ignitionnet
01-03-2009, 16:39
That is quite funky to get 10Mbit on a Samsung, maybe the issue with their ethernet ports has been fixed.

How's the upstream speed on it? If upstream is 256kbps as well you are on 2Mbit service.

DRZ400
01-03-2009, 16:49
Yeah .. I'm a programmer so know a bit about computers.. it was 10meg, I was well chuffed.

This is what I'm getting now.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/84.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

And this is my 'funky' 10Meg on a Samsung. 8)
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/85.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

punky
01-03-2009, 16:57
That is quite funky to get 10Mbit on a Samsung, maybe the issue with their ethernet ports has been fixed.

How's the upstream speed on it? If upstream is 256kbps as well you are on 2Mbit service.

I started a thread on this before, I have had a stable 10 meg on my Sammy STB for weeks: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33643036-10mb-with-a-sammy-stb.html

Like the OP, I now have 2 meg max 24/7 since around the the 27th in London (ex-C&W).

I think something's up. I've rebooted everything, happens on multiple OSes. I havethe mid config file. I can't see why they would roll back 10 meg STB speeds to 2meg when I have had a stable 10 meg and before then, a stable 4 meg (for years).

xocemp
01-03-2009, 17:00
Unless they want everyone on a SACM?

DRZ400
01-03-2009, 17:07
I started a thread on this before, I have had a stable 10 meg on my Sammy STB for weeks: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33643036-10mb-with-a-sammy-stb.html

Like the OP, I now have 2 meg max 24/7 since around the the 27th in London (ex-C&W).

I think something's up. I've rebooted everything, happens on multiple OSes. I havethe mid config file. I can't see why they would roll back 10 meg STB speeds to 2meg when I have had a stable 10 meg and before then, a stable 4 meg (for years).

Ahh so it's not just me ... there's going to be thousands of people out there that will know somethings wrong and wont know what to do.

I was perfectly happy with my 10meg connection on my Samsung.:D

I don't want a modem as I've run out of sockets!:(

punky
01-03-2009, 17:15
I don't want a modem as I've run out of sockets!:(

Same reason I don't want one really. Plus I don't want to be Internet-less for a week if someone screws up the change over.

General Maximus
01-03-2009, 17:46
strangely enough my speeds have been the last couple of days, they have been better than fine actually which is why i noticed it. Normally on Saturday evenings I never get more then 10mbits but last night I was getting 16-20 and I can only assume that it is because I have been moved over to the docsis 3 equipment.

Ignitionnet
01-03-2009, 18:19
Firmware fix resolved the Samsung issue I guess, it was that the ethernet port on them wouldn't do full duplex for whatever reason.

With the standardisation of the network I suspect there is nothing besides a mid config file for the STBs anymore so I guess cable modems it has to be.

Peter_
01-03-2009, 18:34
Unless they want everyone on a SACM?
Which they seem to very much want as they are easier to troubleshoot and probably cost less than a STB.

punky
01-03-2009, 18:37
Not for me, i'm trying to save them £100 on a modem. They'll probably try and stick me on another contract as well.

Peter_
01-03-2009, 18:39
Not for me, i'm trying to save them £100 on a modem. They'll probably try and stick me on another contract as well.
Try to get you in a new contract, never:p::p::p:

punky
01-03-2009, 18:52
They aren't supposed to for STBs -> modem swapovers but I have known it.

Peter_
01-03-2009, 20:12
They aren't supposed to for STBs -> modem swapovers but I have known it.
Only if you let them:D

Ignitionnet
02-03-2009, 09:47
Not for me, i'm trying to save them £100 on a modem.

Hehe take a 0 off that price and you're a lot closer to what a modem costs them ;)

punky
02-03-2009, 09:50
Just checked my speed, its exactly the same as it always is peak or otherwise.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/80.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Ignitionnet
02-03-2009, 10:41
You are on a 2Mbit / 200kbps profile - they've tidied up 'excess' profiles from the CMTS and they are not going to be put back on. You will not be able to get faster than this with an STB.

As no customer is supposed to be on 10Mbit via an STB all STBs are on 2Mbit / 200k, if you want to go any quicker you'll need a modem I'm afraid.

punky
02-03-2009, 12:00
Apalling service from VM yet again. They see fit to spam me with their 'offers', yet I don't get one dickie bird that they are going to cut my speed by 4/5 and they are going to charge me the same amount? That has to be illegal.

Now I have to wrangle to VM in India for what I am supposed to be getting anyway?

You never thought they could get any worse than NTL, but they do manage it.

xocemp
02-03-2009, 12:21
You never thought they could get any worse than NTL, but they do manage it.

The executive's, movers and shakers at the top, IIRC are still those of old NTL.

AndyCambs
02-03-2009, 13:13
Same reason I don't want one really. Plus I don't want to be Internet-less for a week if someone screws up the change over.
You don't need another socket, they'll send a cable splitter.

punky
02-03-2009, 13:25
You don't need another socket, they'll send a cable splitter.

I meant a mains socket. Already have it stretched pretty thin.

Peter_
02-03-2009, 14:21
I meant a mains socket. Already have it stretched pretty thin.
Just get yourself a decent Surge protector with at least 6 sockets and you will be sorted, mines a Belkin and I use all 6 sockets running from a single outlet.

munrobasher
02-03-2009, 16:16
Is anyone else having a problem ... my download rate has gone from a consistent 10meg down to 2meg ... dropping to 600K at times?

Yes I've got exactly the same issue. Noticed it was going slowly over the weekend. Same equipment (silver Samsung STB) and I lost internet connection briefly at one point, noticed the LED flashing on the front like you and rebooted it.

I reported it on the VM usenet groups and support said "You need a cable modem". Whilst this is most likely the fix, I'm interested why.

They (support) keep saying is "Samsung STB never suitable for 10Mbit/s" despite me saying "IT WAS WORKING BEFORE FINE!!". Actually, I'm sure the letter said "Please try rebooting your STB and it it goes faster, then great otherwise order a cable modem".

So I, like the original poster, was in this camp.

I suspect something has been changed and a new release to the STB code has been made either to prevent >2MBit/s to force everyone to upgrade or somebody has broken something with the upload.

Cheers, Rob.

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:10 ----------

Well it was working :D So it's the old adage of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Shame they didn't send our an email a few weeks ago if they were going to change something to completely break it.

What's rather annoying is that it's back to 2Mbit/s and not the 4Mbit/s that the Samsung STB was perfectly capable of.

Rob.

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

You are on a 2Mbit / 200kbps profile - they've tidied up 'excess' profiles from the CMTS and they are not going to be put back on. You will not be able to get faster than this with an STB.

Mumble, mumble - should have warned us!

Cheers, Rob.

---------- Post added at 16:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

Apalling service from VM yet again. They see fit to spam me with their 'offers', yet I don't get one dickie bird that they are going to cut my speed by 4/5 and they are going to charge me the same amount? That has to be illegal.

It is certainly not very customer friendly. I cannot believe SOMEBODY didn't think about this before they turned/tweaked whatever they have done.

Cheers, Rob.

DRZ400
03-03-2009, 17:43
This is great.

I was quite happy with my 10 meg going through my STB. Nice and stable ... worked a treat.

Today I received the modem (I didn't want). It did come through within a day so fair play to them for that. Anyway ... unpacked the cable modem (I didn't want) and realised that all it is, is the modem and power adaptor. Because I'm going from STB to STB/Modem I obviously need 2 coax inputs. Unfortunately I've only got one coax that currently goes into the STB so I have no means of being able to plug in the modem(I didn't want).

Not a problem ... back on the phone and explain the situation (eventually) they realise my problem and I'm cheerfully informed it'll cost me £25 to have an engineer come round and fit a coax into the bloody modem I DID NOT WANT.

Sigh .... why can't they just change my config on the STB back to the way it was and stop wasting everyones time, money, and effort.

punky
03-03-2009, 17:56
This is great.

I was quite happy with my 10 meg going through my STB. Nice and stable ... worked a treat.

Today I received the modem (I didn't want). It did come through within a day so fair play to them for that. Anyway ... unpacked the cable modem (I didn't want) and realised that all it is, is the modem and power adaptor. Because I'm going from STB to STB/Modem I obviously need 2 coax inputs. Unfortunately I've only got one coax that currently goes into the STB so I have no means of being able to plug in the modem(I didn't want).

Not a problem ... back on the phone and explain the situation (eventually) they realise my problem and I'm cheerfully informed it'll cost me £25 to have an engineer come round and fit a coax into the bloody modem I DID NOT WANT.

Sigh .... why can't they just change my config on the STB back to the way it was and stop wasting everyones time, money, and effort.

Here, here mate. They are trying to charge me £15 to post a modem I don't want either.

Of all the crap I have put up with NTL, this is the worst. I really am tempted to move to Be and to hell with VM. I beginning not to care about the 3 month notice anymore.

DRZ400
03-03-2009, 18:15
I got my modem for free but can't plug it in to anything.... they just want £25 for an engineer to come and fix something they broke due to a config change.

I'm not paying. Not in a million years and told them so. I was perfectly happy with it going through my STB.

I'm waiting for a call back.

Peter_
03-03-2009, 18:37
This is great.

They obviously sent the wrong pack out and you got a modem replacement pack and not a Quickstart self install pack with all the extra cabling and a splitter, but they want your STB changed and you should be able to get it changed with a manned install for free.

DRZ400
03-03-2009, 18:56
I'll phone them back tomorrow and ask for the Quickstart self install pack.

Cheers for letting us know the terminology.

The VM sevice is superb .. just seriously let down by the utterly rubbish offshore call centre.

DRZ400
04-03-2009, 14:34
I'm on the phone to India as I type this ..... they want to send me an ethernet cable.

I am rapidly losing the will to live.

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Gave up speaking to the idiots in India as i got nowhere in 20 minutes and phoned the disconnection department. Engineer coming next week.

All because they changed the config on my STB dropping my 10 meg BB that I was happy with to 2M has cost VM

1:-90+ minutes of staff time of phone calls.
2:-the cost of a modem.
3:-Courier charge.
4:-The cost of an tech to come to my house to plug in a splitter / coax.

Probably a couple of hundred quid as a man in a van isn't cheap!

DRZ400
04-03-2009, 17:53
And now my broadband has completely died.:mad:

It was absolutely fine as it was BEFORE they started dicking about with the configs on the Samsung Set Top Box!:mad:

If they hadn't of cocked about with it then I'd be a happy little customer sitting here with my 10 meg BB!:rolleyes:

Peter_
04-03-2009, 17:55
And now my broadband has completely died.:mad:

It was absolutely fine as it was BEFORE they started dicking about with the configs on the Samsung Set Top Box!:mad:

If they hadn't of cocked about with it then I'd be a happy little customer sitting here with my 10 meg BB!:rolleyes:
They have probably nuked your STB by accident and it does happen, if that is the case you may not get online till you receive your modem.

DRZ400
04-03-2009, 18:14
I've got the modem .... but no splitter and second co-ax.

The engineer isn't coming till monday. :(

I'm going to try a reboot..... all I can say is thank god for mobile phones and UMTS!!!

I don't hate Virgin Media and am actually VM's #1 fan.... it's just the offshore call centres are bloody useless and unfortunately as a customer, they're the face of Virgin Media. :(

DRZ400
04-03-2009, 21:43
Credit where credit's due ... a chap in India was actually quite helpful and re-activated my BB on my STB.

This must be phone call number 9 or 10 caused by them messing about with the config on my STB I was perfectly happy with. :(

punky
06-03-2009, 15:03
Just an update. Got my SACM installed, eventually* and my speed went straight back to 10mb again. Absolutely p'ed off with VM over this. I would complain but it isn't worth the hassle. So it looks like they want everyone on a SACM by fair means or foul.

* Got everything plugged in OK. Got to the activation page OK. Had to call. Got forwarded around 2 Scottish departments and a Liverpudlian one. Still kept sending me to the activation page. Get forwarded to the Indian CS. They "sent some signals" to it and managed to get it on. The Indian bloke was really shirty with me but kind of surprised me at the end when he said I had been "excellent" and thanked me for my help :erm:

DRZ400
07-03-2009, 18:07
Well they sent me ANOTHER modem .... without the coax required to plug it in.:rolleyes:

punky
07-03-2009, 18:08
Might just be quicker and easier for you to go to B&Q or something.

DRZ400
07-03-2009, 18:10
This must be costing VM a fortune.

1:-3 hours of staff time of phone calls.
2:-the cost of a modem.
3:-Courier charge.
4:-The cost of an tech to come to my house to plug in a splitter / coax.
5:-Cost of a SECOND modem.
6:-Cost of Courier charge for second modem.

probably passed £250 now due to them changing the config on my STB forcing me to go to a modem.

leexgx
07-03-2009, 21:38
if i understand all your missing is an splitter and 2x coax 1m cables at the start of this post once you receved your cable modem
goto maplins and Buy them for £8-10 total not that hard

any one using broadband via cable TV box should upgrade to the standalone modem, your cable TV box will likely crash less offen and get an better boardband service

DRZ400
07-03-2009, 22:48
Yep ... exactly what I'm missing but they're sending a tech round to sort it on Monday.

I don't know why they just couldn't send me the cables ... It's apparent that the bunch in India didn't understand what the problem was.

I work in telecoms and could sort it all out myself but It'd cost me £8. It's cheaper for me to get the VM tech to come round at the cost of £200 plus to VM.

I did plead with VM to send me the cables but they sent me ANOTHER modem via DHL instead!

The UK VM staff are brilliant ... but the whole companies let down by the staff in India.

DRZ400
09-03-2009, 14:16
Well ... A jolly nice tech came round and made up the two cables and gave me a splitter.

He said he didn't know what's going on as he's being inundated with similar problems. I explained the situation and he laughed. All a complete waste of everyones time and money.

Still ... I'm back up to 10Meg and I've seriously reduced my bill, so some goods come of it and I've a nice set of 'Disco Lights' to look at.:D

DRZ400
09-03-2009, 17:34
Here's the proof!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/58.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Mr_SEO
10-03-2009, 10:52
Hi Guys,

I deffo agree with you. This is the reason I had to upgrade mine to 20Mbps but since then I have some seriouse issues with Virgin Media. Be careful before you decide to upgrade yours too. They will restart your contract without telling you for another 12 months or 18 moths. Please read my post titled Virgin Media Horror (or type in Google "Virgin Media Horror" and third one on the results list".

Virgin Media is diffidently slowing down.

cableb0i
10-03-2009, 23:44
ahh glad I found this place.

I'm in Bristol on Virgin, supposedly 4meg connection (via cable modem) which is normally, I have to say, just fine.

Since about the weekend however, speeds have been slowing down like hell all the time, connections dropping, pages timing out etc etc... no idea what to do about it.

speed test :

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/53.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

any advice what to do would be greatly apprecitated

moaningmags
10-03-2009, 23:58

I'm in Bristol on Virgin, supposedly 4meg connection (via cable modem) which is normally, I have to say, just fine.

Since about the weekend however, speeds have been slowing down like hell all the time, connections dropping, pages timing out etc etc... no idea what to do about it.

any advice what to do would be greatly apprecitated

Cable no longer has a 4meg connection, you have been upgraded free of charge to 10meg and your speed test result looks like traffic management.

DRZ400
11-03-2009, 00:07

I take it you'll be on a set top box, if so you'll need to go on to a modem. It's a monumental pain in the bum getting it swapped over and will probably require a tech to come to your house to install the missing splitter and extra coax they DON'T send you in the modem pack.

He'll sigh and say he's getting a lot of call outs because of this.

---------- Post added at 00:07 ---------- Previous post was at 00:06 ----------

Oops .. just read you're already on a cable modem so it looks like your area is over subscribed.

cableb0i
11-03-2009, 00:16
i think it is, built up area and a LOT of other people on broadband.

moaningmags can you explain further what traffic management is please? thank you.

DRZ400
11-03-2009, 00:28
Traffic management won't affect you unless you seriously hammer your downloads.

cableb0i
11-03-2009, 00:33
Traffic management won't affect you unless you seriously hammer your downloads.

well......I've been ill for the last few weeks and have been seriously hammering my downloads :rolleyes:

please explain traffic management a little further...thanks

moaningmags
11-03-2009, 00:42
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

DRZ400
11-03-2009, 11:07
I've just had a call from a friend of mine who had the same problem, he says his 2Meg going through the STB is now back up to 9.9Meg.

cableb0i
11-03-2009, 18:25
todays results - a lot better (not on an STB, just regular cable modem)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/49.png (http://www.speedtest.net)