PDA

View Full Version : Caller Display?

hansi
01-03-2009, 10:21
I recently bought a Tesco cordless twin handset phone and there is a time/date setting on it. I have noticed that although the time is always correct, the date doesn't change. Before anyone says to contact Tesco, I have a Virgin phone line, and I just wondered, is it that I don't have caller display that the date doesn't change, or could the phone be faulty? If it's the former, then I will get caller display added, and if it's the latter, I will call Tesco. Thanks.

on in an hour!
01-03-2009, 10:54
I recently bought a Tesco cordless twin handset phone and there is a time/date setting on it. I have noticed that although the time is always correct, the date doesn't change. Before anyone says to contact Tesco, I have a Virgin phone line, and I just wondered, is it that I don't have caller display that the date doesn't change, or could the phone be faulty? If it's the former, then I will get caller display added, and if it's the latter, I will call Tesco. Thanks.
if your in an ex-NTL area you will struggle to get the caller display on your line :(

hansi
01-03-2009, 11:08
Oh. I used to have it but discontinued it some time ago. I was unaware that it's difficult to get in Cardiff. I'll ring Virgin to check.

Stephen
01-03-2009, 11:13
if your in an ex-NTL area you will struggle to get the caller display on your line :(
Thats not true. I am Ex-NTL and have had caller display for about 3.5 years
Download Failed (1)

on in an hour!
01-03-2009, 11:16
Thats not true. I am Ex-NTL and have had caller display for about 3.5 years
Download Failed (1)
i didnt say you couldnt get it,i said you may struggle ;)

BenMcr
01-03-2009, 11:53
You will only struggle if you are in an Area Reference between 20 and 22 (it's on your bill)

If you have a Area Reference between 01-18 or 24-31 you can *usually* get it

hansi
01-03-2009, 12:04
I just checked and I'm in Area 25 so should be ok. Will ring them tomorrow. Thanks for the help.:)

Welshchris
01-03-2009, 14:24
hansi im in Area 25 also and i was told i could get it but would cost an extra £5 a month on my bill, to hell with that!

moaningmags
01-03-2009, 14:27
hansi im in Area 25 also and i was told i could get it but would cost an extra £5 a month on my bill, to hell with that!

It should be £1.75 not a fiver, I'd call back.

Mr_Moo
03-03-2009, 19:50

CLI (caller line identity) has nothing to do with the fact that your phone doesn't change its date. CLI simply presents the calling number to your phone (I'm sure you know this, so I won't go on...).

progers
05-03-2009, 21:31
CLI (caller line identity) has nothing to do with the fact that your phone doesn't change its date. CLI simply presents the calling number to your phone (I'm sure you know this, so I won't go on...).

Not true, my phones get the date and time from the Virgin CLI signals; it's a common feature that most CLI phones use. The date and time is transmitted along with the CLI

BillySmasher
08-03-2009, 20:28
Can anyone shed any light on why I can't get Caller ID (I'm in area 20)? This technology is such old hat I can't understand why it's not available to me?

I've had it for years with BT and TalkTalk and I've been without it for 2 days now I've switched to Virgin and already it's driving me insane :mad: to the point where I'm seriously considering telling them to cancel the phone service and revert back to TalkTalk.

Also, I'm paying £2.50 a month for Anonymous Caller Reject. But if they can't give me Caller ID how do they know if the caller is Anonymous or not? And if they can tell a number is anonymous why can't they give me the numbers of the calls that aren't? :confused:

Is this something I'm just never going to get from Virgin or are they likely to switch it on at some point?

Is there a number I can call which will get me through to someone in the UK who can help (in my experience in dealing with the sub-continent call centres for broadband issues, they are fine for the basics, but hopeless if you need something a little more techincal - and why wouldn't they be when they're several thousand miles away?)?

All help gratefully received.

Martin.

BenMcr
08-03-2009, 20:31
If you cannot get Caller Display, you cannot get Caller Display.

Customer Services will not be able to give you the technical reason as they do not know - this would apply for both the UK and offshore call centres.

BillySmasher
08-03-2009, 20:37
Wow, quick response Ben, thanks.

But why can't I get it? Someone somewhere must be able to tell me why and when I'm going to get it surely?

BenMcr
08-03-2009, 20:41
From what I understand the exchange equipment was designed before Caller Display and is not upgradeable (unlike it was in other areas)

It seems Nynex/Videotron/Cable & Wireless skimped a bit on costs!

Unfortunately it would now cost too much to upgrade the equipment compared with the revenue it would generate

BillySmasher
08-03-2009, 22:05
Great :(

I'll have to think about whether to switch back to, or rather stop the cancellation of, my TalkTalk account. I can't see the point of a retrograde step in my services. The only thing giving me pause is that it means my broadband is going to cost me £15 a month more...

At the moment, that doesn't seem a good enough reason to stay with Virgin for my landline.

roland69uk
08-03-2009, 22:19
You will only struggle if you are in an Area Reference between 20 and 22 (it's on your bill)

If you have a Area Reference between 01-18 or 24-31 you can *usually* get it

I have caller display and i am in area 20

BenMcr
08-03-2009, 22:21
Yup. there a few areas that can get it, but the rule of thumb is no you can't

chuzzlemonkey
08-03-2009, 22:23
I have caller display and i am in area 20

Thats rare! lol....have actually never seen an area 20/22 account with caller ID.

Locky33
30-03-2009, 21:04
Just added this service i in area 5 cost £1.75 i asked for it free but they said no lol. Nice to add it to my land-line it hardly used but it a modern dect phone so designed for it.

hansi
31-03-2009, 07:16
It's £2 from May!

BillySmasher
31-03-2009, 07:50
It was deal-breaker for me. After 4 days without and confirmation from Virgin it wasn't coming any time soon, if ever, I cancelled my landline and reverted back to a more modern provider :rolleyes:

Oh well, at least the 50Mb broadband works as advertised :D

BenMcr
31-03-2009, 10:07
It's £2 from May!
No it's no - Caller Display stays at £1.75

hansi
31-03-2009, 13:52
Call Features** Individual chargeable call features
Change £0.25

BenMcr
31-03-2009, 13:57
Yes - but not for Caller Display

hansi
31-03-2009, 14:04
Thank you ;)

Locky33
31-03-2009, 16:05
I do wonder why Virgin cant or wont put small things like caller display free in a bundle like the voice-mail service. At least it is a low reasonable price and staying at the price Ben's information usually reliable ;)

blenky
01-04-2009, 00:21
Can anyone shed any light on why I can't get Caller ID (I'm in area 20)? This technology is such old hat I can't understand why it's not available to me?

I've had it for years with BT and TalkTalk and I've been without it for 2 days now I've switched to Virgin and already it's driving me insane :mad: to the point where I'm seriously considering telling them to cancel the phone service and revert back to TalkTalk.

Also, I'm paying £2.50 a month for Anonymous Caller Reject. But if they can't give me Caller ID how do they know if the caller is Anonymous or not? And if they can tell a number is anonymous why can't they give me the numbers of the calls that aren't? :confused:

Is this something I'm just never going to get from Virgin or are they likely to switch it on at some point?

Is there a number I can call which will get me through to someone in the UK who can help (in my experience in dealing with the sub-continent call centres for broadband issues, they are fine for the basics, but hopeless if you need something a little more techincal - and why wouldn't they be when they're several thousand miles away?)?

All help gratefully received.

Martin.

Yes its a git. I've been asking for it for years and years (I'm in area 20) but its a non starter. For that reason we still use BT and the Virgin phone line is only used to call the free Virgin help line.

Babu
01-04-2009, 19:47
I'm also in area 20. I called customer services yesterday about another issue and asked whether I could get CLI on my line. She activated it yesterday and it's working today!

on in an hour!
01-04-2009, 20:30
I'm also in area 20. I called customer services yesterday about another issue and asked whether I could get CLI on my line. She activated it yesterday and it's working today!
area 20 is north west isnt it?? (i may be wrong) ;) just checked,must be a ntl/telewest mix because sussex,solent and wessex are area 20 as well as most of the NW.

Babu
01-04-2009, 23:57
I'm in Beckenham, Kent.

blenky
02-04-2009, 00:06
area 20 is north west isnt it?? (i may be wrong) ;) just checked,must be a ntl/telewest mix because sussex,solent and wessex are area 20 as well as most of the NW.

I'm area 20 and in Hove. Ex Nynex/Cable & Wireless/ntl

Mr_Moo
02-04-2009, 11:13
Since when has Sussex, Wessex and Solent been in the northwest? Kind of gives it away with the Solent bit.

I would say these are ex-ntl as I don't deal with them and I'm ex-telewest regions.

on in an hour!
02-04-2009, 19:06
Since when has Sussex, Wessex and Solent been in the northwest? Kind of gives it away with the Solent bit.

I would say these are ex-ntl as I don't deal with them and I'm ex-telewest regions.
if youd taken the time to read the post you would have noticed that my first reply was area 20 is NW,then,if you could have been bothered,you would have noticed that it says 'ive just checked',then go on to name the other areas that id found were 'area 20'.i do not need telling what is where in relation to towns/cities/counties in britain thank you very much!! :rolleyes:

Mr_Moo
02-04-2009, 19:57
Be clearer, next time.

injuneer
03-04-2009, 17:04
From what I understand the exchange equipment was designed before Caller Display and is not upgradeable (unlike it was in other areas)

It seems Nynex/Videotron/Cable & Wireless skimped a bit on costs!

Unfortunately it would now cost too much to upgrade the equipment compared with the revenue it would generate

It's not the exchanges that are the problem (Nynex used SystemX, same as BT) it's the kit in the street that is not upgradeable (well it is but as you said, too expensive to do & by now well & truly obsolete!).

on in an hour!
03-04-2009, 21:38
how is this not clear?? :dozey:

Mr_Moo
04-04-2009, 05:31
You contradict yourself twice. You use little or no punctuation. And also purely because you associate NW with franchise 20 , along with Sussex, Solent, Wessex... Together they are a mix, yes. Though NW is telewest as such, and the rest are ntl.

Forget it., both ways.

comex
05-04-2009, 11:48
area 20 is br postcode areas in north west kent and parts of se london like penge and se19

on in an hour!
06-04-2009, 09:30
area 20 is br postcode areas in north west kent and parts of se london like penge and se19
its also most of NW england (ex-ntl areas) ;)

weesteev
06-04-2009, 23:26
Area Reference 20 is the ex-NYNEX franchice and includes some of the following areas all over England...

Stoke, Stockport, Warrington, Derby, Poole, Manchester, Brighton, Portsmouth, Hove, Bromley, Gosport, Bournemouth, Macclesfield, Worthing, Oldham, Salford, Orpington, Bolton, Dover, Aylesbury, Folkestone, Ashford, Peterbourgh, Dagenham.

Hope this helps.

Mr_Moo
07-04-2009, 17:18
its also most of NW england (ex-ntl areas) ;)

Liverpool, Knwolsey, Preston, Blackpool, etc = ex-telewest.