PDA

View Full Version : upgrade speed has not happened

Gandalfthegrey
01-03-2009, 00:33
Hello all,

Hope you are having a great day!

I am :) Anyways I upgraded my broadband speed to 10mbps from 2 and my tv channels to the xl package.
Today I got a e-mail comfirming my chosen upgrades had been "actioned".

Lots of extra tv channels turned white on the list and I was pleased to see them and leapt on my pc to check my broadband speed.
Hmm still 2mbps.....
Ok, so ill shutdown the pc and switch off the modem at the wall socket like it says to do if u have problems connecting.
Started the modem up waited for it to be ready and connected then booted up the pc and off to another bb speed test site - still 2 (ish)
Hmm wierd.
I know its gone through (the upgrade), it says so on selfcare and plus I suddenly now have all the functions of pcguard - which are now free with the package ive upgraded to. I live in the oxfordshire area close to oxford itsself, I have the modem with power light enet end recv sync and ready lights on it (and virgin media logo on it), not sure the name of it. It used to be ntl in this area, so it will be using thier equipment i assume.
My question is do I have to do something on my pc to set the speed up to what ive requested, will it suddenly just work when they get round to activating it or something else I probably never thought of?
Maybe I have to run naked round the room or something?
Seriously though, I dont like the idea of paying for a service im not actually recieving, so if it lasts a while i'll tell virgin media to only charge me my old rate as thats the level of service im actually getting.
Hope someone knows what im supposed to do - sit n wait i expect, but i may be missing something!

moaningmags
01-03-2009, 00:41
Which modem do you have?
Go to http://192.168.100.1 username/password is root/root if required.
Bit Rate
20480000 bits/sec
Bit Rate
768000 bits/sec

That's the 20Meg config, you will either have 1024 or 2048

Gandalfthegrey
01-03-2009, 00:53
Ooh, this is new to me ive logged in, i notice it says "cable modem software upgrade failed" at the top of the event log.
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2148000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 256000

The modem has 256 on a label underneath and says "trade name ambit" in small writing on the same label if that helps to identify it.

moaningmags
01-03-2009, 00:56
Ok, the upgrade hasn't gone through although it should have after you rebooted the modem. Time to call in and have them send the signal to your modem manually.

When they do this and tell you it's gone through, the modem should auto reboot, stay on the phone while logging back into that page it should then show the 1024

Gandalfthegrey
01-03-2009, 00:59
Excellent, thanks for the speedy reply(s) moaningmags,
Im assuming its the tech support ill have to call, or can the normal call centre send it an update signal?

moaningmags
01-03-2009, 01:03
Either of them can do it.

dd11
01-03-2009, 01:04
I upgraded my broadband over the phone at an indian call center, the woman told me she had just upgraded it, and it may take up to 24 hrs etc.

5 days later still nothing, rang up again, got a british person this time, and she said that the indian person hadn't done anything, so the nice british lady then done it and 10 mins later it was upgraded and working.

Gandalfthegrey
01-03-2009, 01:04
sweet
Thanks for all the help
Take care and if i talk to you again tomorrow - it means they never fixed it!!
O7

keyholder
01-03-2009, 11:36
I upgraded my broadband over the phone at an indian call center, the woman told me she had just upgraded it, and it may take up to 24 hrs etc.

5 days later still nothing, rang up again, got a british person this time, and she said that the indian person hadn't done anything, so the nice british lady then done it and 10 mins later it was upgraded and working.

Make sure you get credit for the 5 days of no upgraded BB, as no doubt you will be chraged for them :)

Peter_
01-03-2009, 12:07
Make sure you get credit for the 5 days of no upgraded BB, as no doubt you will be chraged for them :)
If the upgrade was not actually put on the account then no charge would have been made.