PDA

View Full Version : work advice needed

wwe
28-02-2009, 03:48
hi my manager told me today that from monday i have to take 3 weeks off as i been there 3 and a half years and not took any time off ive had 2 or 3days a week off sometimes but can they do that to you by saying you have to take 3 weeks i said ill take 1 if i have to but i don't want 3

moaningmags
28-02-2009, 03:50
If they're paying you then fine, take the time off.

wwe
28-02-2009, 04:07
ill be taking my hoilday pay but i don't want the time off i said ill do 4 shifts a week to get it down or just have a week off i don't want 3 weeks off can i refuse or is it up to them

Fingy
28-02-2009, 10:05
You want to refuse paid time off? :eh:

Kymmy
28-02-2009, 10:09
I think the managers doing you a favor...most companies do NOT allow the accumalation of holiday from one year to the next..I think he's saying take it off or lose it... Especially as the new tax year is approaching

Dai
28-02-2009, 11:13
I'd be reluctant as well, but only because I'd be concerned that if I took 3 weeks straight they might have time to discover they can manage without me..

;)

Halcyon
28-02-2009, 12:14
I agree with Kymmy. It's so that you don't accumulate too many days. Most companies don't let you port holiday days over year to year.
Otherwise you would get people building up half a year off work and it would cause too much disruption and work not getting done.

Don't you feel like a holiday? You must really love your job if you havent taken any holidays as yet.
If you are getting paid for it then go for it, relax and have a good break.

nomadking
28-02-2009, 12:24
Would the firm get into trouble with the "Working Time" Laws if you don't take the holiday?

wwe
28-02-2009, 13:23
what it is i do not want to take 3 weeks at one i don't mind taking a week now then another in april and then in may but not all at once as i only had 2 dys notice can i refuse to go

Kymmy
28-02-2009, 13:28
But April/May is a new tax year... You'll probably find that your holidays reset then and that you;ll have your usual full compliment of days off...

Talk to your boss, find out if it's a use it or lose it policy... as without seeing your contract not many here will be able to 100% advise you

wwe
28-02-2009, 13:37
got a meating with my boss on monday but im sure they just car't say u have to have 3weeks off if you don't want it

Halcyon
28-02-2009, 14:36
It's the fact you havent taken it in the previous years that is the issue. In most cases you can't let it mount up and that is why it has to be taken now or lose it all.
If I was you I'd certainly not lose it as any holiday is worth taking for all the hard work you have put in.

Hope meeting goes well for you.

Maggy
28-02-2009, 14:41
Wish I could take a three week paid holiday...

And yes most teachers do..but us supply teachers are the exception...:erm:

Tricky
28-02-2009, 15:28
Many companies especially financial ones make employees take at least a 2 week break every year as this is the amount of time that fraud can often be uncovered within. From a personal point of view I'd recommend that you're taking at least a week but preferably two weeks continuous each year

Matthew
28-02-2009, 16:00
If I was offered 3 weeks paid leave I'd be gone on it, i make sure every day of leave is used or take the most I can over into the next year. You really must love you job if you dont want to take it.

Hugh
28-02-2009, 16:07
<showing off mode on>
In the job I started just under a year ago, I get 38 days annual leave (with 3 extra for the Christmas shutdown), plus the standard 8 days Bank Holidays.

I make sure I take them all.
<showing off mode off>

Back on topic - take your holidays; you are entitled to them, and you are paid for them; if it's holiday year-end, it's usually use them or lose them (unless they will let you carry over 5 for a month or so).

I can't understand people who don't take their annual leave.:confused:

AndyCambs
28-02-2009, 16:09
You're not thought of any more for not taking leave due - in fact, you're probably put upon even more.
It's strange - people have fought long and hard to get paid leave from employment...

Raistlin
28-02-2009, 17:29
I don't get much chance to take my leave. The department currently owes me 51 hours off in lieu, and something like 10 days leave.

Kymmy
28-02-2009, 17:52
got a meating with my boss on monday but im sure they just car't say u have to have 3weeks off if you don't want it

If it's holidays that you have to take before the end of the financial year then simply yes they can...Most firms would make you take the time off than you lose it... That way they keep on the good side of the law

Hom3r
28-02-2009, 17:55
Where I work a guy had nearly 100 hours of lieu, and still had to take his 4 week annual leave and this was in october.

His other leave had been a mixture of leave carried over and Lieu, as he spent a lot of time in europe training.

wwe
28-02-2009, 18:21
car't i not refuse to take 3 weeks off ill take 1 week off but if i refuse do they get last word

Damien
28-02-2009, 18:34
<showing off mode on>
In the job I started just under a year ago, I get 38 days annual leave (with 3 extra for the Christmas shutdown), plus the standard 8 days Bank Holidays.

I make sure I take them all.
<showing off mode off>

Back on topic - take your holidays; you are entitled to them, and you are paid for them; if it's holiday year-end, it's usually use them or lose them (unless they will let you carry over 5 for a month or so).

I can't understand people who don't take their annual leave.:confused:

You have 38 paid holiday days a year? :shocked: Plus an extra 3 for Christmas? :erm: Wow. That's nice :D

I don't understand why you would not want to take all the days either, It's a day off and you get paid! No matter how much you like you job you should always take advantage of having more personal time to relax and pursue other interests.

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

car't i not refuse to take 3 weeks off ill take 1 week off but if i refuse do they get last word

They have be able to force you. I am still not sure why you don't want to take the time off though.

homealone
28-02-2009, 18:37

bear in mind your employer may not be required to pay you for holiday you do not take.

- so 'use it or lose it' may not just apply to the time off, but the holiday pay, as well....

Halcyon
28-02-2009, 18:40
At the end of the day you are being told to take it or lose it.

So take the holiday....... You've earnt it. Sleep in til late, relax, watch TV, go out and have fun!

soup dragon
28-02-2009, 18:50
unless you are a banker and you don't want your fraudulent actions to be uncovered in which case take the time off and spend it sweating and worrying that the next knock on the door will be the government making you take your huge pension as well!!!!

(obviously a joke!);)

superbiatch
28-02-2009, 19:37
You don't have an automatic right to get paid it, this is something usually negotiated with management (and very rarely happens in my experience). They can't force you to take it, but if you don't, you'll lose it - as simple as that. By law you are entitled to 4.8 weeks (including bank hols) paid leave (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10029788) in a year plus bank holidays, so because you've not taken it yet and the holiday year more than likely ends on 31st March they are pressurising you to take it - its in your interest, so take it!

Most people would love to be in your position! I've got a few days left myself to take but thats cos i'm lucky enough to start the year with 33 days plus bank hols etc.

wwe
28-02-2009, 22:01
i want to take a week off druing the summer as i plan on going on hoilday but i don't want 3 weeks off at once as ill be bored
in my meating on monday if i say im refuseing to take 3 weeks is there northing they can do

superbiatch
28-02-2009, 22:05
i want to take a week off druing the summer as i plan on going on hoilday but i don't want 3 weeks off at once as ill be bored
in my meating on monday if i say im refuseing to take 3 weeks is there northing they can do

Your new holidays will start from 1st April (i'm assuming), so you will book your summer holidays from your new allocation.

Work can't force you to take the 3 weeks, but if you refuse to then they don't have to pay you so its you that loses out. Do you understand what I mean? I don't mean to patronise you but i don't think you're grasping what everyone is trying to say to you.

wwe
28-02-2009, 22:33
yes m8 i understand so i can just say im not taking time off and there northing they can do i just lose my hoilday pay

superbiatch
28-02-2009, 22:38
As far as I can see there is nothing they can do to you, you could ask if there is any chance of being paid and if not tell them you understand you'll be forfieting the rest of your allowance. Whats your relationship like with your manager?

Halcyon
28-02-2009, 22:38
Well in that case do you really want to work and not get paid ?
I'm sure that if you take these 3 weeks holiday you can then take a week off in the summer from your newly issued 2009 holiday days.

homealone
28-02-2009, 22:49
Rightly or wrongly most employers want people who are 'team' players, who will join in & can be treated all the same.

Any-one who takes an individual path, even if it seems to be for a 'good' reason, is, potentially a problem in such a system.

What you seem to be wanting to do is be 'different', and not a member of the team.

You have that right and you seem to understand the financial implications of doing so - but do you understand how that appears to the other members of staff, your colleagues?

If work actually means that much to you I urge that you consider the wider implication of being part of the team & try to see how taking your holiday is actually something you can do to 'fit in' - and even let your hair down & have fun :)

wwe
28-02-2009, 23:16
what i know is he wants me to take it off from monday have 3 weeks off to get as must of my hoilday pay down 1 he only told me on friday and 2 i do not want it off yet as ive got northing planned so i want to just go back to work still from next week but this manager does check stuff like this but ive said i don't want any time off if they want to put me on 3 or 4 shifts and the rest hoilday pay ill do that but 3 weeks is far to much its not like i can go on hoilday yet as i got no passport yet im doing it sometime next month

homealone
28-02-2009, 23:23
what i know is he wants me to take it off from monday have 3 weeks off to get as must of my hoilday pay down 1 he only told me on friday and 2 i do not want it off yet as ive got northing planned so i want to just go back to work still from next week but this manager does check stuff like this but ive said i don't want any time off if they want to put me on 3 or 4 shifts and the rest hoilday pay ill do that but 3 weeks is far to much its not like i can go on hoilday yet as i got no passport yet im doing it sometime next month

you don't need a passport to holiday in the UK, you are just looking for excuses on that one ;)

wwe
28-02-2009, 23:36
no m8 on my meating on monday if i refuse to have 3 weeks off then yes ill lose my most of my hoilday pay but ill be alound to work just want to make sure befor meating

homealone
28-02-2009, 23:43
no m8 on my meating on monday if i refuse to have 3 weeks off then yes ill lose my most of my hoilday pay but ill be alound to work just want to make sure befor meating

We can't say, for sure, it will be dependent on your actual contract of employment, which your manager should go through with you during the meeting.

I'm going to be blunt now, for which i apologise, but if you worked for me I would think you were having a disruptive effect on the smooth running of the team & would be looking to have you transferred to another branch.

wwe
28-02-2009, 23:45
im just trying to get as much info about that as i can it just i don't want time off this is why im having meating about it to tell them that i do not want it off as thats when the main boss will be there

homealone
28-02-2009, 23:54
im just trying to get as much info about that as i can it just i don't want time off this is why im having meating about it to tell them that i do not want it off as thats when the main boss will be there

It is only time away from work, we can understand how important your job is to you but there is life beyond that - and you can do both things, it will do you good to discover what you can do outside of your role at work, if you will only give yourself a chance to find out.

- you have to be a bit brave & trust yourself - you won't regret it :)

Halcyon
01-03-2009, 00:13
The issue is that you should have really taken the time off each year instead of letting it mount up. Whether you were not told about this in your contract or your manager didnt make an issue but is making an issue now is something only you can know BUT...... These holidays are backdated days off that you need to take. You won't get them back.

As we enter the new financial year you will have new holiday days and I'm sure you can take some holiday in the summer or whenever you are planning your holiday.

Even if you go nowhere on holiday, chill out at home. Have some fun. Go out to town, Do whatever you enjoy doing in your spare time. Since you are into wrestling why not catch up on some matches if that's your thing.

Obviously you want to keep your job so if I was you I'd take the 3 weeks off. You are lucky your manager is letting you take all the days off now. Some would have said tough luck you didnt take them so you cant have them.

If you are getting paid then there is no reason why you should not take the days off.

Think about it this way, a good break will make you relaxed and refreshed for when you start back.

Stephen
01-03-2009, 01:18
Just take the time off. You are entitled to it and its good to take time to relax and chill.

Stop worrying and trying to find excuses. Just go with the flow and take a break
Download Failed (1)

wwe
01-03-2009, 01:39
don't u people not think 3 weeks is a lot will none of you get bored if you were me

Stephen
01-03-2009, 02:00
I would love to get told I had to take 3 weeks off!

You should have been taking the odd day or few days off over the year.
Download Failed (1)

cimt
01-03-2009, 02:01
Well, what does a normal Saturday consist of for you?

moaningmags
01-03-2009, 02:01
3 weeks off paid, I can only dream, or win the lottery.

wwe
01-03-2009, 02:02
what would u do with 3 weeks ill be bored on day 2 lol

cimt
01-03-2009, 02:06
Have you got family in a different part of the country you can go visit? That's one thing I'd certainly go do, see family.

Stephen
01-03-2009, 02:08
I can think of plenty of stuff to do!

Catch up with all my DVDs/Movies

Go to the cinema

Spring clean my house, lol.

Go on a few photo taking trips.

Sit and play the 8 xbox/PS3 games I never have time to play cause I am always working.

Meet up with friends for coffee and a chat.

Go to museums and exhibits that you might not have seen before.

To name a few things.

Halcyon
01-03-2009, 02:09
3 weeks is indeed a nice amount of time off but think about things you've always wanted to do and never had time to do.

Catch up on sleep, maybe buy a new game if you are into gaming, go out to the cinema, go to town, browse the shops, go into the countryside and get some fresh air, tidy your house, watch TV, listen to music, go spend a day in London, learn something new you've never tried before, or just do nothing.......holidays are intended to relax so take it easy.
Maybe go out and meet some new people too...you could go go ice skating, take a train to another town and go discover a new place for the day, go take some photos if you enjoy photography, read a new book, go to see some sports games, go check out the other fast food stores and rate the competition between all of them, etc.

Lot's of possibilities.

AndyCambs
01-03-2009, 06:47
I'm not suggesting it is in this case, but I have heard that it is considered a little suspicious when people who won't take time off work - why? Is there something that they think maybe discovered whilst they are away that could be classed as fraudulent - they're up to something and worried they may get caught out.

Nidge
01-03-2009, 09:08
I'm not suggesting it is in this case, but I have heard that it is considered a little suspicious when people who won't take time off work - why? Is there something that they think maybe discovered whilst they are away that could be classed as fraudulent - they're up to something and worried they may get caught out.

Well said mate, it happened where I used to work a few years ago, this manager didn't take any holidays, no days off no holidays whatsoever, this went on for well over 5 years, we thought well he must love his job. He had an accident on his motorbike and was in hospital laid up with both legs in traction.

2 weeks after he'd been off we started seeing well dressed people knocking around the office, we didn't think anything of it until the police appeared, tongues started wagging then we all got interviewed and found out the truth, he'd defrauded to company to the tune of £87,000. He didn't dare take any time off work because he was upto his neck in fraud. You've only got to read a thread like this and it all comes flooding back.

Take your holidays mate people have fought long and hard for the rights you have when at work.

AndyCambs
01-03-2009, 10:16
Well said mate, it happened where I used to work a few years ago, this manager didn't take any holidays, no days off no holidays whatsoever, this went on for well over 5 years, we thought well he must love his job. He had an accident on his motorbike and was in hospital laid up with both legs in traction.

2 weeks after he'd been off we started seeing well dressed people knocking around the office, we didn't think anything of it until the police appeared, tongues started wagging then we all got interviewed and found out the truth, he'd defrauded to company to the tune of £87,000. He didn't dare take any time off work because he was upto his neck in fraud. You've only got to read a thread like this and it all comes flooding back.

Take your holidays mate people have fought long and hard for the rights you have when at work.

I know of one manager who took too many holidays. Was refunding tickets to his own credit card rather than the companies they were owed to. Ended up with a couple of years inside and loss of his house under the proceeds of crime.

This is diversifying from the main thread of course, and I second the sentiments here. Did the Tolpuddle Martyrs die in vain here?

superbiatch
01-03-2009, 14:48
If you are still adamant you don't want the time off and your manager explains you have to, why not do something voluntary? I know you live in Blackpool and I'm sure there are many homeless initiatives, or elderly people's homes which would welcome some free help. You might also gain some useful experience :)