PDA

View Full Version : Disasterously slow net connection, and Virgin tech support = useless

moroboshi
28-02-2009, 00:38
I'm supposedly on a 20mbit line, at least that's what I pay for, but I've never had more than 12mbit in reality. Recently though the speeds have been getting worse and worse.

My connection is so slow now playing online games is impossible due to lag, streaming video (even ultra low quality stuff like YouTube or iPlayer is impossible), and running various online speed testers bring back results around the 400-500kbits range.

I've contacted tech support multiple times and they always either blame my router (despite me having run the same tests and had similar results without the router), or had me run various ping and download tests only to then not bother to get back to me. I'm lucky if I can get them to reply at all, and even then it takes them 4 days to respond to an email. And this is with me being nice and polite, which given how terrible the service is I feel is more than they deserve.

I'm close to just throwing in the towel and leaving Virgin completely. Their TV service with it's near total lack of HD is a joke, and now their once decent broadband is horribly slow and has ridiculous caps on it.

As a last ditch attempt (and as Virgin tech support seem to have given up) here are my modem stats:

Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.9 dB

Thanks all.

moaningmags
28-02-2009, 01:00
Post in the newsgroups.
What's your upstream power level?
An email is pointless, use the newsgroups or call repeatedly until you get some help.

Any tests you run, do with the modem straight to the computer.
Then your router can't be blamed.

moroboshi
28-02-2009, 01:13
Calling tech support is a nightmare. I really don't fancy sitting on hold for half an hour only to be told to unplug my modem, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in again.

Here's my upstream power level - Upstream transmit Power Level : 41.0 dBmV

Which news group are you talking about?

moaningmags
28-02-2009, 01:47
The Virgin Media support newsgroups manned by 2nd line support

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up-outlook-express-exntl.php

Tells you how to set them up, giving screenshots for Outlook Express but works the same for any email client.

The group you're looking for is virginmedia.support.broadband.cable
New post
Make sure you post your modems power levels and signal to noise ratio.
They won't take any notice of speedtests, so go to
http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/?C=S;O=D

Select one of the files and start to download it taking note of the file transfer rate.
Leave that running and start a 2nd download and sit them side by side.
Take note of both transfer rates.
When you start the 2nd file, does the 1st file drop in speed or do you get a similar speed on the 2nd file?
If you get a simialr speed on each try running TCP Optimiser.
Again, put this info into your post.
The groups are manned 8am - 10pm.
They also have an SLA of 4 hours, if you post at 3am you should have a response there by 12pm given they don't start until 8am.

Which modem do you have?

HTH

moroboshi
28-02-2009, 01:56
I'll have a look at the news group tomorrow, thanks.

I already did the download test you mentioned, or one very similar to it, on Virgin's instructions. I was getting around 700-800k/sec.

My modem is an 'NTL 250' I guess. At least that's what it says on the bottom.

Oh and what is a TCP optimiser?

icestar2
28-02-2009, 01:56
Post in the newsgroups.
What's your upstream power level?
An email is pointless, use the newsgroups or call repeatedly until you get some help.

Any tests you run, do with the modem straight to the computer.
Then your router can't be blamed.

The people on the newsgroups are great but the engineer's sent out are not always as good. I've had them out twice. Once the guy told me he was going to fix the signal levels on my modem. He plugged something into it but after he left he had not changed anything they were all the same :(

Second guy left a mile of cable that was no use and was just in a ball next to the TV. I meant it really is loads I have no idea why he left so much.

Anyway at the end of the day nothing the enginners do will change anything. I know I can get my full 20mb because I get it after midnight everyday. I just get random traffic managment for some reason whether I use the net or not that day. Usually the same time's. I guess my area is just over subscribed and I will have to live with it for now :(

moaningmags
28-02-2009, 02:02
Some computers don't allow enough open connections and that can be one reason why you don't get full speed, running TCP Optimiser allows more connections meaning a faster speed.

@icestar2
Any time I've had an engineer out for an issue, I've never taken his word for what he's doing, I've always questioned what he's doing, why he's doing it and what it will achieve.
I did this before I worked for Telewest, actually I've also done this with the guy who came to fix my tumble dryer and the guy who came to fix my washing machine.
Just because you don't fully understand what's involved in fixing the problem doesn't mean you shouldn't question the person who does.
No way would I let any kind of tech for any service leave my house with a job half done or not done to my satisfaction. If more people did this, there'd be happier customers of all services, not just VM.

icestar2
28-02-2009, 02:09
Some computers don't allow enough open connections and that can be one reason why you don't get full speed, running TCP Optimiser allows more connections meaning a faster speed.

@icestar2
Any time I've had an engineer out for an issue, I've never taken his word for what he's doing, I've always questioned what he's doing, why he's doing it and what it will achieve.
I did this before I worked for Telewest, actually I've also done this with the guy who came to fix my tumble dryer and the guy who came to fix my washing machine.
Just because you don't fully understand what's involved in fixing the problem doesn't mean you shouldn't question the person who does.
No way would I let any kind of tech for any service leave my house with a job half done or not done to my satisfaction. If more people did this, there'd be happier customers of all services, not just VM.

Agreed and great advice. The First Tech told me he was adjusting the signal levels so I took him at his word but after checking I seen nothing had changed :(

The second Guy I was not in for but came back to find way to much cable.

Just gave up in the end and decided to live with it. Just had to stop playing online FPS games (Ping were to insane) which is not a bad thing I guess as I probably played to much anyway. Just annoying knowing your paying for a service that your not really receiving :mad: