PDA

View Full Version : Connection Issue - Specifically Uploads

ally3009
27-02-2009, 23:54
Hi there,

Before I start I realise the period of time this has been occuring is not all that great but as it affects my work I thought I see if I could get some insight. Basically the connection today has been pretty rubbish. I'm on a 10mb cable connection, downloading data has been pretty slow despite what speed checkers are telling me.

The main issue however is with uploading. The speed checkers take about 5 mins to even start registering and then they go crazy whilst netmeter states nothing is happening. Definately not a pc issue as its affected two laptops and a desktop.

What speedcheckers/apps do people recommend for checking speed and monitoring?

I've got my modem details, doesn't look too bad, think the downstream poweer level is a bit high. Not sure on the modem type but its been with us since Telewest (pre ntl merger):

Downstream Value
Frequency 339000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB
Power Level 7 dB

Upstream Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 34000000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 44 dBmV

----edit----
Uploads have been tried on email systems (notes, outlook and webmails) and ftp - email based ones just flat out refused to send or upload even very small kb files, whilst ftp was slightly better but kept cutting out.

Also done the usual disconnections of the router and modem
-----------

Is there any other details I can give that may help?

Thanks
David

Peter_
28-02-2009, 06:33
Hi there,

Before I start I realise the period of time this has been occuring is not all that great but as it affects my work I thought I see if I could get some insight. Basically the connection today has been pretty rubbish. I'm on a 10mb cable connection, downloading data has been pretty slow despite what speed checkers are telling me.

The main issue however is with uploading. The speed checkers take about 5 mins to even start registering and then they go crazy whilst netmeter states nothing is happening. Definately not a pc issue as its affected two laptops and a desktop.

What speedcheckers/apps do people recommend for checking speed and monitoring?

I've got my modem details, doesn't look too bad, think the downstream poweer level is a bit high. Not sure on the modem type but its been with us since Telewest (pre ntl merger):

Downstream Value
Frequency 339000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB
Power Level 7 dB

Upstream Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 34000000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 44 dBmV

----edit----
Uploads have been tried on email systems (notes, outlook and webmails) and ftp - email based ones just flat out refused to send or upload even very small kb files, whilst ftp was slightly better but kept cutting out.

Also done the usual disconnections of the router and modem
-----------

Is there any other details I can give that may help?

Thanks
David
Your power levels are normal for your connection so any issue has to be elsewhere and as you get the same problems with other machines you will need to call in and speak to an agent, try this morning and you may get a UK based agent.

When you test the other computers you are running direct and not through a router I presume as it could be your router.

Check this link to see what model your modem is http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service_20MB.html

ally3009
28-02-2009, 11:37
Unfortunately woken up and its still very poor, thanks for the reply. I need to try direct to the modem with the laptops and then give them a call

Thanks David