PDA

View Full Version : Are you throttled?! :td:

KungFuKitty
27-02-2009, 23:31
Hi everyone :dozey:
I'm just wondering how much people are throttled during peak times, i don't mean under the 'terms' they have provided.. i'm talking about constantly every peak time you get throttled.
Anyone else experiencing this? I get capped to 5mb download speeds everytime it hits peak time, without fail!
I need to call them soon to resolve this as it's driving me nuts, has anyone had this problem / regular occurance? If so have you done anything about it?
Please share your experiences and resolutions if you've found any!
Thank you
- KFK. :)

ally3009
27-02-2009, 23:44
Most of the time its not too bad, but i have noted times where, even when i've been away, where i boot up and my speed is clearly throttled for no apparent reason

are their any post detailing the exact limits of when the throttling occurs?

Just seen in the other thread - day by day by hour

Halcyon
27-02-2009, 23:56
Most of the time it is fine but at times it does tend to become a bottleneck and traffic is crawling.

punky
28-02-2009, 00:03
I seem to be permanantly traffic shaped these days.

graf_von_anonym
28-02-2009, 07:07
Your poll is based on a pair of suppositions, which may or may not be true, but, from the evidence that we have, the latter is far more likely to be the case.

There's no doubt that Virgin Media have STM in place, and the information about that is clearly available.

There is, however, doubt that Virgin Media have a parallel system of bandwidth management operating in sufficient secrecy that both staff and customers are unaware of it, save for the alleged effects it has having on connections.

There is a trial of a new STM regime, but that's been clearly discussed. Historically, ISPs have been capable of keeping this sort of thing secret from their customers and their staff, the key example being BT's trial of Phorm, but given the furore over that I find it hard to imagine that Virgin would do the same here. The real problem is the inconstancy with which this alleged secondary monitoring scheme is being applied, if indeed the Packet/Application/Routing-Analysis Network Operation Inhibiting Apparatus is real. Currently the only common factor that I can see is that people who are experiencing slow downloads are blaming something that Virgin Media is doing. That does not Scientific Rigour make.

Toto
28-02-2009, 11:04
Your poll is based on a pair of suppositions, which may or may not be true, but, from the evidence that we have, the latter is far more likely to be the case.

There's no doubt that Virgin Media have STM in place, and the information about that is clearly available.

There is, however, doubt that Virgin Media have a parallel system of bandwidth management operating in sufficient secrecy that both staff and customers are unaware of it, save for the alleged effects it has having on connections.

There is a trial of a new STM regime, but that's been clearly discussed. Historically, ISPs have been capable of keeping this sort of thing secret from their customers and their staff, the key example being BT's trial of Phorm, but given the furore over that I find it hard to imagine that Virgin would do the same here. The real problem is the inconstancy with which this alleged secondary monitoring scheme is being applied, if indeed the Packet/Application/Routing-Analysis Network Operation Inhibiting Apparatus is real. Currently the only common factor that I can see is that people who are experiencing slow downloads are blaming something that Virgin Media is doing. That does not Scientific Rigour make.

:clap: :clap:
Nuf zed

Zhadnost
28-02-2009, 11:42
I get throttled sometimes, but I don't think it's especially unfair, so I don't have a vote.

chickendippers
28-02-2009, 13:06
We rarely even trip STM and there are 5 of us using the internet.

alferret
28-02-2009, 16:06
We manage out bandwidth efficiently to comply with STM. What do we need right this minute that we cant wait till tomorrow for? Absolutely nothing.

Martyn
28-02-2009, 18:08
i get throttled constantly, every day, even if im on it all day or not!!

Graham M
28-02-2009, 18:25
i get throttled constantly, every day, even if im on it all day or not!!

That's more likely to be a problem with your connection than "Throttling"

KungFuKitty
01-03-2009, 15:46
Your poll is based on a pair of suppositions, which may or may not be true
Indeed it is, though, i'm not saying VM have some kinda secret regime going on to throttle users they dislike lol. I'm saying that, perhaps falling in and out the 'high usage' marker every now and then gets you put on the traffic management system for longer and/or more regular.
I say this because it happens without fail at peak times for me and always limited to 5mb's worth of connection, later though, around 12-1am(ish) clearing back up to the speeds i pay for.
Yes i do go over the cap fairly often every couple-or-so weeks, for that i should be capped for, i expect no less. As for many users i've seen post about this in various threads thoughout the forum, it's obvious there are some problems that need resolving. Also that doesn't mean it's the customers fault every time, yet, there's little help in the matter.
It's not as if this is some conspiracy thread, it's a poll to see how many other users are experiencing a problem which seem to be due to STM, given the regular times and occurances.
Thank you for the input none the less, just a matter of interest and to see if anyone has had this and perhaps resolved the problem somehow.
- KFK.

PS: Regular timing + slower speeds = ???
You could say over subscription, you could say fault on my line... you could say alot of things, but... alot of people are experiencing this, if somebody has resolved it somehow i'd love to hear it.. rather than some form of flaming. ;)

Maggy
01-03-2009, 17:08
Nope..not been throttled for ages..but then I don't do much beyond browsing and emailing during peak times...;)

Of course that doesn't include those sites that throttle my downloads to protect their bandwidth anyway...and that happens at any time of day.:erm:

RubberyDuck
01-03-2009, 17:17
On 50MB (Do I Count), so I hope not. Well not since I got it installed (2 Days ago).

KungFuKitty
01-03-2009, 17:32
On 50MB (Do I Count), so I hope not. Well not since I got it installed (2 Days ago).
Congratz on the 50meg line :)

v0id
01-03-2009, 17:38
I expect I've been throttled quite a few times, however if I have I've never noticed it as whenever I want to use my full speed I get it

graf_von_anonym
01-03-2009, 20:04
I'm saying that, perhaps falling in and out the 'high usage' marker every now and then gets you put on the traffic management system for longer and/or more regular.

Not to my knowledge, though Virgin Media should be able to tell you when you are being (and more importantly when you have been traffic managed. It could be the case that overheads above what you're seeing in download are taking you over the thresholds, or that upload is doing you. I know that not all first line agents have access to it, but my suspicion is that anybody in complaints or retentions could find it for you, and if you used the newsgroups they could probably give you an idea as to how frequently it occurs. I'm loathe to say that they will be able to tell you, because I'm not sure how that information interacts with the Data Protection Act. Odds are, as it relates to your connection rather than you as a person you'll be good to get it over the phone, but you might need to catch somebody reasonable before that occurs.

The main reason I'm concerned about the suggestion of the Packet/Application/Routing-Analysis Network Operation Inhibiting Apparatus is it makes it too easy for people to blame Virgin Media for something that might be of their own doing, or, more likely, another issue within the connection that's being masked. It's human nature to leap at the first credible answer, but it's bad technical support.

Peter_
01-03-2009, 20:48
Well it is Sunday and I have downloaded 3Gb today well within the Traffic management period and I am still getting full speed.