PDA

View Full Version : Ready light flashing but no internet connection

bnrightnw
27-02-2009, 19:09
Hi,

I hope this thread hasn't been posted before but I have an annoying situation.

I have an ambit modem with a cable connection to virgin media. The internet is not in my name as it is included (I think) in the rent I pay for my room. The internet has been working fine up until recently, when I tried to connect the modem to my pc and my computer keeps identifying the network but not connecting to the internet. The modem has a solid sync light, the ethernet connection is fine, the send is flashing but the receive seems to be doing nothing and the ready light is continually flashing.

From what I understand the ready light seems to need to be a constant for me to connect to the internet. Now my question is this, as the internet isn't in my name I was wondering if I just lucked out with getting an internet connection for the first few months in my room and virgin have cut off the service as it isn't in my name or if there is a problem with the modem or connection for another reason, that is fixable.

Any help from you clever guys would be much appreciated.

Peter_
27-02-2009, 19:16
Hi,

I hope this thread hasn't been posted before but I have an annoying situation.

I have an ambit modem with a cable connection to virgin media. The internet is not in my name as it is included (I think) in the rent I pay for my room. The internet has been working fine up until recently, when I tried to connect the modem to my pc and my computer keeps identifying the network but not connecting to the internet. The modem has a solid sync light, the ethernet connection is fine, the send is flashing but the receive seems to be doing nothing and the ready light is continually flashing.

From what I understand the ready light seems to need to be a constant for me to connect to the internet. Now my question is this, as the internet isn't in my name I was wondering if I just lucked out with getting an internet connection for the first few months in my room and virgin have cut off the service as it isn't in my name or if there is a problem with the modem or connection for another reason, that is fixable.

Any help from you clever guys would be much appreciated.
Check first with the person who rents you the room that they have not cancelled the Virgin connection, you can then as a 3rd party report the fault to Virgin on 0845 454 1111

bnrightnw
27-02-2009, 19:17
does this mean that it is a common sympton of the internet being disconnected?

Peter_
27-02-2009, 19:20
does this mean that it is a common sympton of the internet being disconnected?
It can mean that you have been disconnected or just that the is a fault, you will not know until you check with your landlord.

graf_von_anonym
27-02-2009, 23:25
A flashing ready light basically means that while the modem is talking to the cabinet, it is not able to connect to the network past that. It can be an account issue, or a signal issue, or a broken modem, but it's more likely to be the first two than anything else. Phoning technical support should be the first course of action.

Peter_
28-02-2009, 06:27
A flashing ready light basically means that while the modem is talking to the cabinet, it is not able to connect to the network past that. It can be an account issue, or a signal issue, or a broken modem, but it's more likely to be the first two than anything else. Phoning technical support should be the first course of action.
Contacting his landlord and confirming that he has not been disconnected is the first course of action in this case as Tech Support will just refer him back if disconnected as they cannot deal with the issue or even inform him of the disconnection.

graf_von_anonym
28-02-2009, 06:57
They can, if memory serves, say "there is an account issue, please have the account holder contact us". It may just be that the modem needs reactivated after an account update, or it could be an SNR issue at the UBR or the like. I'd say pester Virgin Media before contacting the landlord, because odds are the landlord will just end up having to phone VM anyway.