PDA

View Full Version : Time to say GOODBYE to "virgin media"

keyholder
26-02-2009, 19:07
Why ? ....

Past 4 days ive had net , but at under 700 Kb's all day every day.Im on 10 Meg pack. I gave it 3 days as I thought it might of had something to with the pc gurad, but no.

So today i rang up Vm, explained whats wrong, then got asked to do the usal crap, unplug reboot etc, so did that, got everything else plugged in etc, and i get my 10 meg as i pay for :), Thier explanation? oh everything is fine, its your pc, ahuh ok , yet all 6 pcs in the hosue are reporting the same problem. :dunce:

NOT even 5 mins had past ( i bet when the call ended) i was back down to less than 500Kb this time. rang back up again, same rigmarole, Yet this guy said i wasnt even a cable customer :erm: :confused: WHAT ???

So i got passed to Customer care, :erm: who then made sure that i was a cable customer, oh yes, ermm yeah i already knew i was. :rolleyes: So they re-pass me back to tech department, and surprise surprise got me back to my 10 meg again.

YET AGAIN. not 5 mins passed, iwas back down to less than 500kb AGAIN!! yet nothing is wrong with my modem according to them ..

So ive said F**K it, Ive had enough. Im leaving. Direct Debit already canceled, And VM will recieve a call first thing in the morning. No doubt they will ask why i want to leave n then try and resolve the issue :rolleyes: Usally the case.

even thoe i live approx 2.3 miles from the exchange id rarther put up with bt or whoever else's best 8meg package than put up with this crap.

So goodbye virgin media.

Time to find a good deal for adsl :D seeing as there is plenty about that shudnt be a problem :D

Peter_
26-02-2009, 19:12
Be careful of cancelling your direct debit as if the are any outstanding patments to be paid and they go to your bank and cannot retrieve your payment then your going to have a £5 handling charge and a failed payment charge (£15 in total) on top of everything else.

Raistlin
26-02-2009, 19:14
You may find yourself up a well known creek without a paddle if you've cancelled the DD already. If they try to take a payment and it bounces they'll just add an extra charge to the bill and expect you to pay that I would think.

You sure you're not being STM'd? How much do you usually download?

keyholder
The best part is ... THEY OWE ME !

Cheers for the info :) but they wont be getting another penny off me.

soup dragon
bye:)

Peter_
26-02-2009, 19:17

I hope they do owe you as the last thing you need is them chasing you for money, good luck with your new provider.

keyholder
26-02-2009, 19:24
You may find yourself up a well known creek without a paddle if you've cancelled the DD already. If they try to take a payment and it bounces they'll just add an extra charge to the bill and expect you to pay that I would think.

You sure you're not being STM'd? How much do you usually download?

Nah rob, i defo not been Stm'd, Modem's been off all day. well infact since 10 pm yesterday till 2 this afternoon when i got back in from work. it was still rubbish, so i then unplugged it again, set of to work again n when i got back approx 5.45, only then has it been plugged in.

Maggy
26-02-2009, 20:07

Well if you don't mind your credit rating taking a pummelling that's fine..if it were me I'd finish with them properly by cancelling in the proscribed manner.Cancelling a DD without warning will always lead to trouble when it comes to contracts.:shrug:

keyholder
26-02-2009, 20:16
Well if you don't mind your credit rating taking a pummelling that's fine..if it were me I'd finish with them properly by cancelling in the proscribed manner.Cancelling a DD without warning will always lead to trouble when it comes to contracts.:shrug:

arhh see, now virgin media say they will check your credit rating etc.

In over so many years my credit report has no mention of virgin media even when i first got with them. so when they say they are going to do a credit check make sure ur eligiable for BB or anotehr service, I wud expect they are doing something else lol or their workstation is going into melt down. + my credit report is only 418 :D bad bad boy. :p: :angel: No one in thier right mind would give someone like me credit now, not with a rating like that.

84% of the uk have a higher rating than i do lol accordin to experian.

Maggy
26-02-2009, 20:19
Well that's your choice..I suspect in a recession though, people will find matters may change...;)

keyholder
26-02-2009, 20:21
now that youd think, But... its not been like it since it were ntl ;)

+ everytime they change thier system and your cut off your bill all of a sudden dissappears also :D

martyh
26-02-2009, 20:54
as long as keyholder cancels before the dd is due he will be fine
you don't get credit scored by vm ..how can you ..you're not getting credit you pay in advance so keyholder is right in that they owe him
i had a similar situation with sky when i cancelled and joined vm they owed me a month subs but they won't refund they just keep transmitting for a month and then try to bill you again

Welshchris
27-02-2009, 01:44
Nah rob, i defo not been Stm'd, Modem's been off all day. well infact since 10 pm yesterday till 2 this afternoon when i got back in from work. it was still rubbish, so i then unplugged it again, set of to work again n when i got back approx 5.45, only then has it been plugged in.

Just because ur modem has been off doesnt mean ur not being STM'd lol.

I know this sounds weird, Last may i went to London and my modem was off for 3 days, upon returning and putting the PC on all that downloaded was an AntiVirus update and i was STM'd. I contacted Virgin Media on the newsgroups and was told i was being STM'd cos of large downloads and i said how since ive been away for 3 days and modem was off, they never did get back to me.

leexgx
27-02-2009, 06:05
my self i would never use ADSL braodband connection just plane slow have you even gone to http://www.samknows.com to check what poor speed you may get from there as 2.3km is not realy close to it

allso when your saying 400-700kb where are you getting that number from internet explorer or an test web site and how are you maxing the download out (KB and kb are not the same meaning) and what time of the day

me is thinking now it was not an good idea to recommend users to goto virgin (more users = less bandwidth for me)

Horace
27-02-2009, 07:52
He's 2.3 MILES away, not KM. You're going to have fun running 6 PC's on the lousy connection you're going to get from DSL. You were better off staying where you were.

southwell
27-02-2009, 08:36
Damn 3.7km away, thats going to be slowwww, i'd be amazed to see over 3mb.

rjsetford
27-02-2009, 12:41
arhh see, now virgin media say they will check your credit rating etc.

In over so many years my credit report has no mention of virgin media even when i first got with them. so when they say they are going to do a credit check make sure ur eligiable for BB or anotehr service, I wud expect they are doing something else lol or their workstation is going into melt down. + my credit report is only 418 :D bad bad boy. :p: :angel: No one in thier right mind would give someone like me credit now, not with a rating like that.

84% of the uk have a higher rating than i do lol accordin to experian.

AFAIK Virgin report to Equifax, not Experian.

And if you want my advice, I'd look at rebuilding my credit score if I were you.

keyholder
27-02-2009, 14:28
He's 2.3 MILES away, not KM. You're going to have fun running 6 PC's on the lousy connection you're going to get from DSL. You were better off staying where you were.

I had a conection before, with Ukonline, max speed we got was just under 4 meg with no packet loss on dsl. + it was usable and stable. We also had 6 pc's running off that also + what other devies like, Wii, Mobiles & pda's running off it. no probs at all.:D

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

AFAIK Virgin report to Equifax, not Experian.

And if you want my advice, I'd look at rebuilding my credit score if I were you.

Oh i ent bothered about my credit rating, I pay with cash not credit no more.

Yeah i know what u mean about experian / equifax, But everytime a person / company searches ur credit report, any credit agency will be able to detect it, regardless of who they use or dont use. :)

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

my self i would never use ADSL braodband connection just plane slow have you even gone to http://www.samknows.com to check what poor speed you may get from there as 2.3km is not realy close to it

allso when your saying 400-700kb where are you getting that number from internet explorer or an test web site and how are you maxing the download out (KB and kb are not the same meaning) and what time of the day

me is thinking now it was not an good idea to recommend users to goto virgin (more users = less bandwidth for me)

lee, no matter what i used the net was abismal, torrents, maybe 5kb @ most. gogole page took over 4 seconds to load, various web sites would time out, took forever to check for emails. it was stupid, I never got above 1 Meg at all! Yet, my pings were as low as they usally are. ( 10 - 25 ms ) Hence why i rang uo asked whats up, all of a sudden i get internet, & at full 10meg, 2 mins later, its **** again. :mad:

AndyCambs
27-02-2009, 14:40
Strange - not long ago you were praising them:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33645787-by-far-the-worst-provider-page-2.html#post34734458

keyholder
27-02-2009, 14:48
hahah how times change :P

yeah but to be fair, credit where credit is due,. . .

But to be fobbed off about nothing wrong with my modem or line, n then to say im not a cable customer, quite frankly takes the biscuit. oh of course india always think its ur pc.

What muppets are VM employing. ...

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

and i wudnt go as far as praising them lol :D

AndyCambs
27-02-2009, 14:51
Plus with six computers on the internet, it's likely that your downloads are higher than most. I believe you use torrents.

Stuart
27-02-2009, 15:02
Oh i ent bothered about my credit rating, I pay with cash not credit no more.

Yeah i know what u mean about experian / equifax, But everytime a person / company searches ur credit report, any credit agency will be able to detect it, regardless of who they use or dont use. :)

You might not be saying that if you need credit (such as , say, a mortgage) in future. Also, companies who don't necessarily give credit use your credit score to determine if you are a good customer. As such, you may be limited in your choice if you (say) wish to change Electricity provider.

Also the method used to update the various reference databases isn't (in my experience) reliable. As such, one agency may not report the same thing as another.

keyholder
27-02-2009, 20:13
You might not be saying that if you need credit (such as , say, a mortgage) in future. Also, companies who don't necessarily give credit use your credit score to determine if you are a good customer. As such, you may be limited in your choice if you (say) wish to change Electricity provider.

Also the method used to update the various reference databases isn't (in my experience) reliable. As such, one agency may not report the same thing as another.

Ive already got a mortgage but anyhows.. ..

With my vm line still active i thought id test the speed, and to no surprise.. on a 10 meg line, Yes hardwired to the modem, modem been off all day, etc etc blah blah.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/4.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

What a speed :cool:

Turkey Machine
27-02-2009, 21:44
Ive already got a mortgage but anyhows.. ..

With my vm line still active i thought id test the speed, and to no surprise.. on a 10 meg line, Yes hardwired to the modem, modem been off all day, etc etc blah blah.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/4.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

What a speed :cool:

Have they given you a new modem yet? If so, are they gonna send a tech out to sort the connection?