PDA

View Full Version : Problems in the Brighton Area as of 23/02/09

omnitrio06
26-02-2009, 16:07
Hello, firstly I want to apologise for not using an ISP email address, that's simply because I have no idea what mine is and I've never used it before and don't intend on trusting VM with my mail.

Basically, I wanted to say that I'm in the BN1 area of Brighton and since monday have experienced ridiculously slow internet speeds (I'm on a 2MB line with an NTL modem). I called up for assistance and after going through the typical "Have you tried resetting the modem?" lark (Which I had, many times.) the guy said he didn't know what the problem could be. I asked if there was an area fault and he said "Ah yes the BN1 area is experiencing a connection drop at the moment it will be fixed by 1pm Tuesday".

Reassured by this, I waited to no avail. Wednesday 9pm I phoned up again and told them the situation and how it should have been fixed on tuesday, and he said "Yes there is a problem in the BN1 area but there is no estimated time for a fix, it could be 1 hour or 24 hours".

Alas it's Thursday now and still nothing, although from 1am - 11am the internet has been it's regular speed (I usually get 250kbs on a good day, now I get 2-13kbs). I'm not sure if this means that things are being fixed or what really. But I want to ask:

-Is anyone else in Brighton (or anywhere really) experiencing a similar problem?
-Do you think this has anything to do with the news of upgrading 2MB to 10MB?
-Has anyone else been in a situation like this? If so then how long did it take/what did you do to get it fixed?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: For some additional information, not only is browsing and downloading very slow, occasionally the connection will cut altogether. Sometimes this requires a modem reset (then back to the slow speeds) other times I just have to wait and it will come back up again (But still with the slow speeds).

Stabhappy
26-02-2009, 16:17
Please post your modem downstream power, SNR and upstream power levels from http://192.168.100.1

If you need to login, the username is root and the password is root.

HSp8
26-02-2009, 16:19
I went from 20Mb to 50Mb on Tuesday so can't tell now.

But a mate of mine in BN1 has mentioned about veeeeeeeerrrrryyy slow speeds for the last couple of days - he's a torrenter

omnitrio06
26-02-2009, 16:23
Please post your modem downstream power, SNR and upstream power levels from http://192.168.100.1

If you need to login, the username is root and the password is root.

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 1
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -1.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 34.1 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Not sure if SNR is included in there, I've never been aware of 192.168.100.1. Thanks for the help.

Stabhappy
26-02-2009, 16:59
Power levels are good, not sure about the Downstream frequency. You'll have to wait for someone with a little more knowledge to point you in the right direction.

omnitrio06
26-02-2009, 17:01
Power levels are good, not sure about the Downstream frequency. You'll have to wait for someone with a little more knowledge to point you in the right direction.

Okay, thanks alot.

Silverfoxx
26-02-2009, 18:49
Ive just been on the phone to Virgin an estimated date for the problem to be repaired in Brighton is 11/03/2009.

omnitrio06
26-02-2009, 19:25
Ive just been on the phone to Virgin an estimated date for the problem to be repaired in Brighton is 11/03/2009.

For crying out loud what on earth are they doing? I have work related responsibilities to be getting on with and this internet is unusably slow. Thanks for the information anyway.

I can't believe this. What sort of problem takes 2 weeks to fix?

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

sorry to double post, I just phoned them up now (listening to the phone music) and apparently there is no BN1 slow internet problem (oh really?) but the service is unavailable in Brighton. What are they playing at? For a communications company they clearly do none amongst themselves.

Raistlin
26-02-2009, 19:29
I have work related responsibilities to be getting on with and this internet is unusably slow.

If you're paying for a business service then take a look at the Service Level Agreement and see what it says the fix time should be.

Silverfoxx
26-02-2009, 19:31
I should of got the ticket number whilst on the phone.

I was getting so enraged by the robot trying to tell me to turn on off the modem and go through the usual scripted routine, even though third time of calling this week.

The CS provided by VM is laughable I am checking out the sky packages now as think its time for a change dont want VM to get my money anymore...

omnitrio06
26-02-2009, 19:41
If you're paying for a business service then take a look at the Service Level Agreement and see what it says the fix time should be.

I'm not paying for a business service, I just rely on what should be a good service to provide me with a usable internet, even if it means I can't download large files.

I'm finally off the phone and after telling me that they new nothing about the 11th of March, I waited for a long time listening to the same 3 songs on a loop. Finally I got an answer and there is a problem in Brighton but it'll be fixed by the 11th of March. So basically I waited on the phone for god knows how long to find out that my previous statement was correct.

This is 'support'. When she laughed a bit I could feel myself boiling over. :mad:

Silverfoxx
26-02-2009, 20:21
It is annoying to say the least...

By any chance did you get hold of the Ticket number? so I can get updates on its resolution?

omnitrio06
26-02-2009, 20:36
It is annoying to say the least...

By any chance did you get hold of the Ticket number? so I can get updates on its resolution?

No, forgot to ask. I will next time I call them though. Seeing as I have such poor internet for the next couple of weeks I'll be sure to call them up every day just to let them know that people get bored and do annoying things when you don't give them the service they pay for. Which reminds me, I'm going to ask for a refund too, maybe a 2% reduction for every day I have to put up with slow internet.

xocemp
26-02-2009, 20:48
No, forgot to ask. I will next time I call them though. Seeing as I have such poor internet for the next couple of weeks I'll be sure to call them up every day just to let them know that people get bored and do annoying things when you don't give them the service they pay for. Which reminds me, I'm going to ask for a refund too, maybe a 2% reduction for every day I have to put up with slow internet.

Once the issue is resolved then call customer care they will refund you what you are entitled to. Oh and when you call up everyday to be annoying and point out that your bored, just remember the person you speak to is a human being and not the entity VirginMedia so why not put all that annoyed/bored energy into writing a letter of complaint.

I hope your issue is resolved before the time given :)