PDA

View Full Version : Womens lingerie in Saudi Arabia!

frogstamper
25-02-2009, 10:19
There seems to be a backlash developing in this ultra conservative country, against of all things the sale of women's lingerie!!
The ridiculous scenario of men only sales assistants in lingerie shops is rightly upsetting a lot of women, in a country which has an almost unhealthy obsession with keeping men and women segregated this appears to be farcical.
Add to this women cannot be measured for any garments because of strict laws on male/female fraternisation, and the fact the religious police will not allow changing rooms on the premises, buying a pair of knickers becomes quite an ordeal for these already downtrodden women.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7908866.stm

Kymmy
25-02-2009, 10:21
Strange isn't it...they have two different religious rules of women can;t work and women can't associate with male strangers...and what do they do..they support the women can't work rule..

:(

Russ
25-02-2009, 10:31
Not saying I agree with the Saudi way of life (in fact I don't) but....

Rana Jad is a 20-year-old student at Dar al-Hikma Women's College, and one of Reem Asaad's pupils and campaign supporters.

"Girls don't feel very comfortable when males are selling them lingerie, telling them what size they need, and saying 'I think this is small on you, I think this is large on you'," she says.

What if the males are just being honest?

LondonRoad
25-02-2009, 10:33
What if the males are just being honest?

Universal Rule number 1 when dealing with women's size:

NEVER NEVER EVER be honest. :D

Kymmy
25-02-2009, 10:39
Honest or not it's not really the issue... You're talking about an ultra conservative country that employs a very harsh legal standpoint (based on a religious standpoint) against male and female fraternisation (unless married but then it's not that relaxed in public)

I'm just amazed that they've chosen the fraternisation over women working as the least of the issues...

frogstamper
25-02-2009, 11:00
In my opinion Kymmy the Saudi establishment uses the fraternisation excuse in a lot of cases, like this, purley to keep women out of the work place.
From the point of view of the Saudi male they seem quite content to keep "their" women subjugated, even enlightened Saudi men are soon put down by the religious police when suggesting maybe that women can drive or god forbid even vote.
Of course all these rules for women are couched in the catch all statement, "we are looking after our woman",:rolleyes: in reality they are frightened of losing the upper hand.