PDA

View Full Version : Issue logging into router

djmagnifique
24-02-2009, 23:30
I have the netgear wgr614v9 router and have a minor issue when it comes to logging in to it to check the log file etc.

I have to enter my username and password twice to log in, is this normal?

if this isn't normal does anyone know what I can do to resolve this?

Cheers.

rjsetford
25-02-2009, 08:33
Sounds like a browser issue. Which web browser are you using?

Graham M
25-02-2009, 08:34
If it were me, I'd try clearing my cookies

djmagnifique
25-02-2009, 09:38
i'm using firefox 3.0.6

Clearing the cookies didn't work

Peter_
25-02-2009, 09:52
Do you get a Virgin log in screen and then have to put 192.168.1.1 into the browser and then input the username and password again, because normally only happens on a router that is being set up for the first time after a pinhole reset and no new details have been inputted into the router.

Below is how I would connect you up over the phone using an ethernet cable after a pinhole reset, give it a try.

-----------------------------------------------

First you need to fully uninstall the software from your computer, by first going to the system tray by the clock on desktop and exiting the wireless manager, then go to start > control panel >unistall programs> now unistall the wireless manager from here then exit .

Next ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router and you will see a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into press the reset button in this hole for approx 10 seconds then switch off the router and modem

------------------------------------------------------------

Quick router set up for the V9

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.

djmagnifique
26-02-2009, 11:08
All sorted now, rebooted the router and when I tried to log in it brought up the red innitial set up page, put the details in, restored my settings from a backup and now I only have to enter the password once to get into the settings.