PDA

View Full Version : Do you 'nip it in the butt'? Well you shouldn't!

Russ
24-02-2009, 23:47
And here's why..... :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4799157/Damp-Squid-The-top-10-misquoted-phrases-in-Britain.html

downquark1
24-02-2009, 23:51
On youtube somewhere there's a video of John Cleese ranting at americans for saying "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less"

bmxbandit
24-02-2009, 23:51
Strange. Only 3 of the 10 'misquotes' I've ever heard anyone say... though I must admit I didn't know that #10 was incorrect.

mischievious
25-02-2009, 00:26
On youtube somewhere there's a video of John Cleese ranting at americans for saying "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less"

It is possible that he meant what he was saying. He is very literate not without fault but it is likely that this was deliberate.

downquark1
25-02-2009, 00:28
It is possible that he meant what he was saying. He is very literate not without fault but it is likely that this was deliberate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCUsPnKD1gk

Here it is.

mischievious
25-02-2009, 00:42
I admit to 8 & 10. However I don't think the artilce is aimed at many of us, but what has become the "CHAV" culture. All I know is it is supposed to be about burberry, tracksuits tucked into socks, ASBO style cars, init, "know what I mean" etc....

:D

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCUsPnKD1gk
Here it is.

Thanks I very much liked the vid.... his point seemed very clear. His point was toward americans who say "I could care less". Then goes onto state that if 0 were the value you'd assign to "I couldn't care any less" should be stated as "I couldn't care any less". If you say "I could care less" then this is above the value 0 which in fact means that you could care less as this is higher than 0 and therefore you can care the difference between 0 and the value that you currently feel.

This has been mis-interpreted, please watch it again, I know he speaks fast and pausing and re-runs may be necessary but the very first thing he says gives a clue, "I don't want to be rude but why do Americans say I could care less"

soup dragon
25-02-2009, 09:28
the one that gets on my nerves is ' should of or should off' instead of should have.

"I should of been at work 10 minutes ago":mad::mad:

Sirpingalot
25-02-2009, 10:30
the one that gets on my nerves is ' should of or should off' instead of should have.

That one gets me to. I mean.. too.

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 ----------

And of course, let's not forget the infamous double negative; popular amongst Britain's finest..

"I didn't do nothing officer".

Druchii
25-02-2009, 11:11

Misheard version of "should've" IMO.

Osem
25-02-2009, 11:18
I must be getting old - I knew all of the correct versions..... :(

wigro
25-02-2009, 17:01
My mate used to say,,,,a sprout to catch a mackerel,,,, instead of sprat .

Did my head in grrrrrrrr :)

Paul
25-02-2009, 17:15
I get 3,4,5 and 9 correct - 1,2,6,7 and 8 wrong - and have not heard of 10.

Maggy
25-02-2009, 17:26
Well I'm a literary genius then..I knew every one of those and I can say hand on heart I've never heard ANYONE misquote them apart from the glisters one...I knew that one particularly because I studied it for GCE.

xpod
25-02-2009, 18:01
I`ll happily admit i dont spoke the best English but the only one of those i misquoted was 7.
I`d normally say "all that glistens is not gold"

mischievious
25-02-2009, 20:32
"I didn't do nothing officer".

Surely you were going for "nuffink" :)

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Well I'm a literary genius then..I knew every one of those and I can say hand on heart I've never heard ANYONE misquote them apart from the glisters one...I knew that one particularly because I studied it for GCE.

Genius like that also seems to have the ability to be absorbed by those around you :D

lucy7
25-02-2009, 21:01
I am just going to have to nick this thread for my other forum, it will go off on so many avenues, me thinks!!!!