PDA

View Full Version : Random internet disconnections while downloading..

Zoomj
24-02-2009, 14:48
I'm having a problem.. until now I've always had the top virgin media package (20mbit iirc).. but I've recently downgraded to 2mbit.. I don't really mind the speed, it's fine for me but whenever I download fast the internet dies within a matter of seconds. Online gaming is fine because (I assume) it doesn't take lots of b/w but if I download a file via http, BT etc. etc. the connection just dies.
I have a cheap router, Belkin.. 40£, about 2-3 years old (don't know the model).. I'm not sure if this could be the problem.. but it worked fine with the other package. I have reset the settings etc. Nothing seems to help. The modem has been constantly restarted/plugged and also doesn't help. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Also this problem is usually fixed by restarting the modem and not the router, and usually happens when I download at speeds >150kb/s.

I haven't phoned virgin media yet, let me know what you guys think. Thanks!~

chickendippers
24-02-2009, 15:06
What modem model have you got?
Does the problem persist when you remote the router and connect direct to the modem?

broadbandking
24-02-2009, 17:03
how do you remote a router lol?

Peter_
24-02-2009, 17:37
I'm having a problem.. until now I've always had the top virgin media package (20mbit iirc).. but I've recently downgraded to 2mbit.. I don't really mind the speed, it's fine for me but whenever I download fast the internet dies within a matter of seconds. Online gaming is fine because (I assume) it doesn't take lots of b/w but if I download a file via http, BT etc. etc. the connection just dies.
I have a cheap router, Belkin.. 40£, about 2-3 years old (don't know the model).. I'm not sure if this could be the problem.. but it worked fine with the other package. I have reset the settings etc. Nothing seems to help. The modem has been constantly restarted/plugged and also doesn't help. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Also this problem is usually fixed by restarting the modem and not the router, and usually happens when I download at speeds >150kb/s.

I haven't phoned virgin media yet, let me know what you guys think. Thanks!~
As chickendippers has advised try connecting direct to the modem as Virgin will ask you to do this, and it probably will be an issue with your router.