PDA

View Full Version : BT line left live after PORT

pgchimp
24-02-2009, 12:47
Hi Yet another post , so much to learn, anyway the engineer has just left after installing VM phone line with Number port and 10 meg BB

The Speedtest.net gives me 9.998 download and 512kbps upload so i am well pleased after having 2-3 meg off SKY for the past 12 months

Anyway heres the problem the engineer PORTED over the BT number to Virgin line and all works well, but the BT line was left live and active. I know this as i am still on it now on ASDL until i set up VIRGIN on the other computer.

Anyway i asked the teckie when the BT line becomes dead and he said that it doesnt, ok the calls incomming and outgoing now go on the virgin line and he says that it is now the law of the land that all homes must have an active BT line installed

I said surely BT will continue to charge me for this and he reckons not so long as it isnt used for calls, BB etc.

He said VM do not cancel the line and there is no need for me to do anything if i dont use it as i will not be charged line rental by BT

Ploease clear this up for me, if i do ring to cancel BT line rental will they kill the number i have just had PORTED over to VM

I am confused on this one

Thanks

zing_deleted
24-02-2009, 12:51
My BT line has given me a dial tone and ive not paid them for ages. I think it just means the line is stillactive should you need to go back you wont have to pay any install costs.

dave_dph
25-02-2009, 07:14
There will still be a dial tone on the BT line but you won't be able to make a call apart from 17070 and maybe 150. My line has been in this state since I ported to voip.co.uk almost 2 years ago.

Dial 17070 on the BT line and you will see that the line has been allocated a new number, as you have ported the old number to Virgin. You will not be able to make & receive calls on this new number.

If 17070 doest work try 1470 17070.

BT will not charge you as in effect you do not have a BT line, it is in soft disconnect state.

Mr_Moo
25-02-2009, 18:03
By soft disconnect status, dave means that there is no software supporting the line on the exchange at BT's end.