PDA

View Full Version : Identifying your location in an unfamiliar area.

Osem
24-02-2009, 12:43
Sadly my wife recently found herself in the position of needing ambulance assistance for our youngest whilst they were out walking in an unfamiliar area. She called 999 on her mobile but didn't know the name of the street in question and in her state of panic had great problems explaining to the operator where she was whilst trying to assist our child at the same time. I know the authorities can and do trace the location of mobile phone calls for various reasons but am I right in presuming that his takes time and would not be a realistic possibility in such circumstances?

Presumably the only way of overcoming this problem would be for her to carry some form of Sat Nav system with her or can anyone suggest an alternative?

Cheers!

Russ
24-02-2009, 12:52
Google maps can help as that triangulates your position to within about 300 yards on a normal phone, but perhaps a GPS enabled handset would be an idea? Something like the G1, N95, iPhone etc? Unfortunately they don't come cheap but they will pinpoint your location to the street.

Hope the little one is ok btw

zing_deleted
24-02-2009, 12:57
I was under the impression the emergancy services can triangulate your position from the mobile phone and I think that can be done quickly

Osem
24-02-2009, 13:07
I was under the impression the emergancy services can triangulate your position from the mobile phone and I think that can be done quickly

I know they can do it - it's just whether it's possible and quick enough in such circumstances. Certainly the operator didn't suggest it as an option despite spending what seemed like an eternity trying to find out where they were and knowing that a child's life was at risk. :confused:

Russ - He's OK now (if not cured) btw - just another of the very many hurdles he's had to face in his short life... :(

zing_deleted
24-02-2009, 13:08
I know one of the roadside assistance can do it so I am sure the emergency services can. (the one Vinnie used to advertise)

Russ
24-02-2009, 13:11
I know they can do it - it's just whether it's possible and quick enough in such circumstances. Certainly the operator didn't suggest it as an option despite spending what seemed like an eternity trying to find out where they were and knowing that a child's life was at risk. :confused:

Russ - He's OK now (if not cured) btw - just another of the very many hurdles he's had to face in his short life... :(

Glad to hear it - I have Google maps on my G1 and it pinpoints my exact location within seconds and I know the N95 does too. I'm assuming the iPhone and the SE C905 would as well so it's something I'd advise if it's an option.

Osem
24-02-2009, 14:19
What she'd really want would be something very simple and quick to use in an emergency. She'd also need to be able to use the phone for the emergency call at the same time - not sure if that's possible....

Russ
24-02-2009, 14:32
On the G1 and N95 you can use Google maps while still on a call if that helps?

lauzjp
24-02-2009, 14:49
have a look at the link (http://thelink.clickapps.com/) website, was browsing yesterday and they had loads of applications available (most at a cost) for many phones - there may be something useful on there.

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

but as Russ said, perhaps your wife would be better off getting one of those super new phones :shrug:

Osem
25-02-2009, 22:51
Thanks for the feedback all. The Mrs reckons she'd prefer some form of dedicated gps device like a cheap sat nav or gps locator as opposed to another mobile phone so I think we'll go down that route. We just need something which is simple to use, reasonably accurate and gets a quick fix.

:tu:

Damien
25-02-2009, 23:00
Thanks for the feedback all. The Mrs reckons she'd prefer some form of dedicated gps device like a cheap sat nav or gps locator as opposed to another mobile phone so I think we'll go down that route. We just need something which is simple to use, reasonably accurate and gets a quick fix.

:tu:

That would be better I guess since you can use it at the same time as the phone.

rogerdraig
25-02-2009, 23:20
i would go for the N95 ( i got one ) its very good with google maps shows you map or satellite view and can give your gps co ords which should allow the emergence services to locate you exactly

plus it means you only need keep one devive charged up

tweetypie/8
26-02-2009, 13:48

your right zing they can.

Osem
26-02-2009, 14:51
your right zing they can.

I know the authorities can do it but the point is can they do it quickly enough? My wife was having great difficulty trying to explain where she was and for quite some time yet the operator never once gave the indication they could locate her via her mobile phone. That's what makes me think that it can't be done quickly enough in situations like these possibly because of the limits of the technology or even the processes/permissions involved.

papa smurf
26-02-2009, 22:13
I know the authorities can do it but the point is can they do it quickly enough? My wife was having great difficulty trying to explain where she was and for quite some time yet the operator never once gave the indication they could locate her via her mobile phone. That's what makes me think that it can't be done quickly enough in situations like these possibly because of the limits of the technology or even the processes/permissions involved.

http://www.mobilelocate.co.uk/?gclid=CNK_qLaM-5gCFQsEZgodhmpLkw