PDA

View Full Version : Keeping calls with Sky

pgchimp
24-02-2009, 08:18
Hi

I am currently with BT phone, and sky tv, free broadband with sky, and sky talk for free evenings and weekend calls

Today the man is comming to install VM. phone line and

I am having 10meg bb

and a virgin phone line installed from new

Question is, i think i signed up for the phone line to include calls as well, but i will only get free weekend calls with virgin??????

Can i have the virgin line (Same number by the way) and keep calls with SKY to keep the free evenings and weekend calls to 01.02.03 numbers

Pog66
24-02-2009, 14:00
firstly if you have requested that you keep the same phone number then you will lose the capability to make calls via BT & SKy Talk package. You will also still be paying BT line rental unless you cancel.

The other point depends on what call package you have with Virgin - XL allows free calls to landline numbers all the time.

HANHAM97
24-02-2009, 19:29
So with XL there's no connection charge for normal phone calls ?

icklelight
25-02-2009, 00:00
as long as u stay on call less than an hour calls to dialling codes begininng with 01 or 02 or 03 will be free and have NO connection charge :D

dave_dph
25-02-2009, 07:08
firstly if you have requested that you keep the same phone number then you will lose the capability to make calls via BT & SKy Talk package. You will also still be paying BT line rental unless you cancel.

The process of porting the number will automnatically close the BT account.

Mr_Moo
25-02-2009, 18:04
Also, if you got XL phone, then you get free calls all of the time.

Gadgie
02-03-2009, 22:00
We are changing over to Sky talk soon, its £10 line rental (£5 for the first 3 months) then £5 for all calls 24/7.
Total of £15 a month, we were paying VM £18.50 a month, £11 rental & £7.50 for all calls 24/7.
We thought that a BT line was required, but Sky told us that it will be a Sky phone, so no BT line required.

Tezcatlipoca
02-03-2009, 22:42
We are changing over to Sky talk soon, its £10 line rental (£5 for the first 3 months) then £5 for all calls 24/7.
Total of £15 a month, we were paying VM £18.50 a month, £11 rental & £7.50 for all calls 24/7.
We thought that a BT line was required, but Sky told us that it will be a Sky phone, so no BT line required.

What you have is effectively a "BT line", it's just been unbundled/rented* by Sky so you actually pay them the line rental instead of BT.

*EDIT - I had thought Sky Talk line rental was LLU (local loop unbundled) like their on-net broadband is (i.e. uses Sky equipment in the BT Exchange), but some Googling suggests they use (or at least did use) WLR (wholesale line rental) for landline provision - this is where Sky rent lines from BT in bulk & then re-rent them to the end user (similar to non-LLU ISPs re-selling BTWholesale broadband services).