PDA

View Full Version : Router doesn't work after switching from STB to modem -- help please :)

montyny
23-02-2009, 13:37
Hello,
At my Dad's there is a Motorola router (WR850G) running X-WRT. This was working ok with the old NTL set top. However, a few weeks ago, this died and Virgin replaced it with a new, seperate modem.

Since then the router will not connect / register with the modem. He is able to run his ethernet to usb adapter directly, so his PC has internet connectivity if he bypasses the router.

I know with ntl the unit (MAC) had to be registered, is there anything that needs to be done now with the modem? I don't recall what speed the network interface is on the router - do you think that is likely to make any difference?

Searching google, I see others have had problems with routers connecting to Virgin modems, but I have not seen any resolutions or explanations. Anybody have any ideas? On top of that, I'm not around at the moment to look at it directly, so that complicates matters.

Thanks,
Bryan.

homealone
23-02-2009, 13:46
:welcome:

try removing any settings for port forwarding in the router, make sure it has 'obtain an IP address automatically & DHCP server is enabled & then turn everything off. Start the modem first & give it a chance to settle down (at least 30 seconds), then turn on the router & again give it a chance to settle down. Then turn on the computer - you should get an IP a be able to connect.

- <edit> I meant remove MAC cloning, not port forwarding :dunce:

montyny
23-02-2009, 15:18
:welcome:

try removing any settings for port forwarding in the router, make sure it has 'obtain an IP address automatically & DHCP server is enabled & then turn everything off. Start the modem first & give it a chance to settle down (at least 30 seconds), then turn on the router & again give it a chance to settle down. Then turn on the computer - you should get an IP a be able to connect.

- <edit> I meant remove MAC cloning, not port forwarding :dunce:

Thanks for the quick reply Gaz. I'll double check, but I'm sure that it's using it's own mac, and that DHCP is enabled (as client for WAN and server for LAN). One thing though talking about MAC, the router is running OpenVPN. I don't know if that may be interfering. Obviously it wouldn't hurt to trun that off at this point, but that would probably have to wait until I get back there.

homealone
23-02-2009, 18:01
Thanks for the quick reply Gaz. I'll double check, but I'm sure that it's using it's own mac, and that DHCP is enabled (as client for WAN and server for LAN). One thing though talking about MAC, the router is running OpenVPN. I don't know if that may be interfering. Obviously it wouldn't hurt to trun that off at this point, but that would probably have to wait until I get back there.

let us know how you get on :)

montyny
19-01-2010, 15:49
Hi,
I came across this old posting and thought I'd post the resolution in case anyone ever had a similar issue.

In the end I believe the issue was with the DHCP client on the router I had - it was running an older version of openwrt. I upgraded the router firmware and it started working flawlessly.

Unfortunately the router upgrade took more memory and I couldn't run all of the apps on the router that I was previously running. :(