PDA

View Full Version : Very Frustrating Tech Support

Beer_Monster
23-02-2009, 10:09
Hey ,sorry to make my 1st post a negative one, but i'm looking for a bit of advice.

I've been having huge problems with my internet connection for the last 6 months, ever since we got the free 10Mb "upgrade". I've made a few complaints on the virginmedia support newsgroups and those guys have been pretty straight we me and told me it's an over subscribed UBR ( in fact one guy tole me it was one of the worst cases he'd seen) ,there was no date for the upgrade and he'd pass the complaint on.

It's come to the point where connection is unsuitable for purpose between 4pm and midnight due to Huge packetloss, slow download speeds and ultra slow web browsing.

I phoned VM this morning, itinitally to enquire about the 50Mb connection (i figured that 50Mb is hugely overkill for what i need, but i NEED a reliable connecion) but was told it would be an extra £35 a month on top of my other services (XLTV, XL phone, V+ & extra boxes). Too much, so i phone cancellations, went thru the blurb, got put thru to Faults in Cardiff......And this is where it REALLY got my back up. The nice lady told me there was definatly no over subscribtion issues in my area ,and that it was the STM kicking in. I know the STM limits and maybe hit it 3 times a week ( busy family etc), i told her i'd already got a fault number for the issue, proved that it wasn't the router or any anti virus i've got. yet she point blankly refused to admit any issue and wanted to book a tech out ,despite her telling me all signals were healthy on my modem.

I'm thinking of binning the lot after 12 years with telewest and virgin. Is there anything else i can do?

broadbandking
23-02-2009, 10:27
What UBR are you on?

Beer_Monster
23-02-2009, 12:30
cable.ubr01.shef.blueyonder.co.uk

It's a case of every single night between the hours or 4PM and midnight, it's just about unusable. Like i said, i've provided traceroutes and speedtests to virginmedia.support.broadband.cable and they've confirmed it's a very over-utilised UBR, but the girl on the end of the phone this morning denied there was a problem at all despite me giving the fault reference and the tech guys name from the newsgroups.

Am i asking too much here? I didn't want to pay an extra £35 a month for 50Mb, I was thinking it was going to be £15 a month on top of what i was paying. I definatly do NOT need 50Mb connection, but i DO need a reliable connection and don't mind paying for one, whether it's to virgin or some other provider.

xocemp
23-02-2009, 12:36

Downstream port utilisation or TX load as it can also be know as.

Magilla
23-02-2009, 13:10

It's a case of every single night between the hours or 4PM and midnight, it's just about unusable. Like i said, i've provided traceroutes and speedtests to virginmedia.support.broadband.cable and they've confirmed it's a very over-utilised UBR, but the girl on the end of the phone this morning denied there was a problem at all despite me giving the fault reference and the tech guys name from the newsgroups.

Am i asking too much here? I didn't want to pay an extra £35 a month for 50Mb, I was thinking it was going to be £15 a month on top of what i was paying. I definatly do NOT need 50Mb connection, but i DO need a reliable connection and don't mind paying for one, whether it's to virgin or some other provider.

Identical in S7 (cable.ubr04.shef.blueyonder.co.uk). Unusable for anything but basic browsing, online play is a none starter.

Got a call from retentions the other night and they explained Sheffield is the worst affected area.

Expecting a call back to see if anything can be done.

I explained that after months of waiting and tens (if not hundreds) of emails, phone calls and postal letters I still had no idea when the upgrade would go ahead.

He assured me that he will call back with a date for the upgrade sometime this week.

Beer_Monster
23-02-2009, 13:15
I'm in S8, To be honest, i think i'm at a point where i'm gonna bin the lot after the phonecall to tech "help" this morning. If they had said "yes there is a problem, this is what we can do to resolve the poor service" i would have been fine, but to blatently lie to me and deny any problems at all is a real kick in the nuts.

broadbandking
23-02-2009, 13:32
Sheffield has always been one of the worst areas of the VM network

The PIT
23-02-2009, 20:10
I'm in S8, To be honest, i think i'm at a point where i'm gonna bin the lot after the phonecall to tech "help" this morning. If they had said "yes there is a problem, this is what we can do to resolve the poor service" i would have been fine, but to blatently lie to me and deny any problems at all is a real kick in the nuts.

Telling lies sounds familiar I had the same problem with Customer services. You don't have a ticket number sir you've never called up before so we can refund you.

Something has happened in S8 as my speeds do sometimes get to 20 meg for a few minutes before diving down to 4meg or much less. Still loads of packet loss though so gaming is useless.

problem is the S8 problem has been know since April so why were they signing people up to a service they couldn't supply.

---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:02 ----------

Sheffield has always been one of the worst areas of the VM network

Doesn't really help us though and again they should not lie.

maxim1
23-02-2009, 23:38
Virgin have introduced Traffic management, you are being CAPPED

moaningmags
24-02-2009, 00:26
Virgin have introduced Traffic management, you are being CAPPED

Introduced!!!!
Traffic management has been in effect since May 2007

Beer_Monster
24-02-2009, 06:55
The Traffic Management isn't what i'm hacked off about, I can get around that by dl'ing any large data out of hours, it's the peak times having silly pings and 40% packetloss when i'm not even close to STM limits.

I'm pretty livid that Virgin Media refuse to admit that there is a problem and accept responsibility, even though i have a fault number and admission from other tech dept that there IS a problem, but cannot give a timeframe when it will be resolved.

Very Very poor

Trybrow
14-03-2009, 14:40
lol i just signed up to virgin media again after getting fed up with leaching, and inquired about the TM policy and they told me you can download 1000 kilobytes per day before being throttled to 2mbits for 24 hours! sounds good! when pressed on the figures the moved up to 10,000 kilobytes, but that was as high as they could go. i knew this was bull so i checked the updates policies. i can live with those. funny how the guy i spoke to said his supervisors and the whole department didnt know the TM policy and neither did the tech support that he got the figures off. i helped him out in the end.

Stabhappy
14-03-2009, 20:48
Cable or ADSL? Plus, 1000kb is a rediculously low amount. Some webpages are bigger, I assume you mean MB? and even then, that paticular measurement doesnt add up to any cable service, and at the moment the throttling is only for 5 hours.

Sounds like the advisor you were talking to was making up numbers