PDA

View Full Version : Just got 50! or how I lost my internet.

danO3109
22-02-2009, 22:26
ello cableforum,

I got 50mb installed on friday. A pretty cool engineer guy plugged in the modem, used an ethernet to test it on a pc, ran a speedtest that downloaded at about 30mb and off he went.

I took the router he gave me out, installed it like the instructions said, went to my pc with a wireless card in, and started browsing the internet: It was really slow. I'd click on my google bookmark and it'd take 20-30 seconds to load google, or just stay as a white screen then say network interrupted.

I tried using the ethernet to go from the router to this pc, no luck. Tried connecting the ethernet wire from the modem to the pc, it works great.

So, what i'm wondering is, could the problem be with the router, the way the router's set up, the wireless signal or none of the above?

Any help would be appreciated! Dano :dunce:

EDIT: Oh, I thought i'd add, to confuse matters more,

When I play an online game like CallofDuty2, I get a really good ping (around 15 on a british server) and when I download I get around 5mb/s. It's literally just web browsing that has been slowed to a crawl for some reason.

broadbandking
22-02-2009, 22:32
Just call in 151 its free

danO3109
22-02-2009, 22:33
Just call in 151 its free

The way I read that was like I was supposed to understand what you meant straight away. Oh god please don't let it be something really easy to understand and me look like an idiot for saying "what"? :erm:

i-Set
22-02-2009, 22:47
The way I read that was like I was supposed to understand what you meant straight away. Oh god please don't let it be something really easy to understand and me look like an idiot for saying "what"? :erm:

hehe if you have virgin media line rental, then calling 151 is a free call to technical support. Which I think is for 50mb people, whereas 150 is for other customers, however I may be wrong on that.

but yh just dial 151 if you have virgin telephone and you'll go through to technical support.

danO3109
22-02-2009, 22:50
hehe if you have virgin media line rental, then calling 151 is a free call to technical support. Which I think is for 50mb people, whereas 150 is for other customers, however I may be wrong on that.

but yh just dial 151 if you have virgin telephone and you'll go through to technical support.

ah, thanks for the clarification, but no virgin telephone :( just the 50mb cable.

moaningmags
22-02-2009, 22:50
You should have been given a direct number for the 50mb support team.

151 is tech support for tv, phone and broadband.
150 is customer services or 20 other options.