PDA

View Full Version : VM Phones - What happens in a power cut?

KingDaveRa
22-02-2009, 19:05
I've heard this from an otherwise reliable source, but I want it confirmed by somebody else.

Assume I had a bog-standard phone attached to a VM phone line. Just your average handset, totally powered by the line.

What happens during a total local power cut?

In the case of a BT line, it'll stay on for as long as the generators at the exchange are fuelled and running. I've heard VM's lines go dead, however, which I could kinda believe as a lot of the kit is roadside, and presumably powered from there too, so it's feasible it would go off.

Is it true, or false? Or perhaps differs by previous franchise area?

v0id
22-02-2009, 19:33
There's usually a battery backup power supply in the cabinet in case of a powercut

Nikesh
22-02-2009, 19:47
Last time we had a power cut, we could still use the Virgin landline.

moaningmags
22-02-2009, 20:25
Last time we had a power cut, we could still use the Virgin landline.

Same here, I usually phone the leccy company for an update.

KingDaveRa
22-02-2009, 23:14
Fair enough. I did wonder, from a safety point of view.

Thanks for the answers :)

Pog66
23-02-2009, 11:39
had a power cut last week - Virgin landline was fine for the couple of hours it was out we were able to phone electric co for status updates

demented
23-02-2009, 16:26
Yeap. Used to have about half a dozen powercuts a year until 2-3 years ago. Always worked throughout.

Gavin78
23-02-2009, 17:05
I'm stuffed either way in a power cut, soon as the power goes off my cordless phone loses signal to the base unit.

moaningmags
23-02-2009, 17:06
I keep a corded phone in the hall for just that purpose.

Peter_
23-02-2009, 18:40
I'm stuffed either way in a power cut, soon as the power goes off my cordless phone loses signal to the base unit.
As Mags says you should always have a corded phone for emergencies and most cordless phone instructions advise this and the is no excuse not to have one considering they start from as little as £2.99.

Paul
23-02-2009, 18:48
VM phone lines work exactly the same as BT (in most cases the phone exchanges are the exactly the same technology).

Matth
23-02-2009, 21:02
I remember losing the VM line in a big powercut, so while the cabinets have some backup (or are maybe powered from elsewhere), I'd say VM is not quite as robust as BT.

dizzi
23-02-2009, 22:16
I have a corded phone... no idea where I've put the blasted thing because I was going to put it on the other phone socket (when I find that as so far I've found three BT sockets and one Virgin one in this house but there's meant to be a second one somewhere!)... but I have one... somewhere

Nedkelly
23-02-2009, 22:22
They have a battery back up once the power goes the cab will alarm to let us know that the power has gone .Then we go out and power up the cab so you do not loose your phone. If BT brought the fibre into the street they would have the same problem .All Headends Hub sites have generator back up :)

zing_deleted
23-02-2009, 22:30
As Mags says you should always have a corded phone for emergencies and most cordless phone instructions advise this and the is no excuse not to have one considering they start from as little as £2.99.

The chances of my 2 mobiles being flat out of battery at the same time is pretty remote so Ill not be buying a wired phone anytime ever lol

Peter_
23-02-2009, 22:35
The chances of my 2 mobiles being flat out of battery at the same time is pretty remote so Ill not be buying a wired phone anytime ever lol

If you have a landline connected in your property then a corded phone can be a lifesaver because if the ever the is a time when all power in your area goes off it does not matter how much battery you have as the repeaters have to use mains power to work but your landline will work, you never require a back up till you actually need it.

The are 3 mobiles in my household but a landline can be essential.

Maggy
23-02-2009, 22:42
The last time I lost the VM phone was during a thunderstorm and everything went except the electrics.So no BB or TV...It was the only time it has ever happened and the phone was back within an hour..The rest took longer and I never did find out what the issue was...:erm:

Mr_Moo
25-02-2009, 18:07
I remember losing the VM line in a big powercut, so while the cabinets have some backup (or are maybe powered from elsewhere), I'd say VM is not quite as robust as BT.

Haha.

Peter_
25-02-2009, 18:08
Haha.
:confused:

Mr_Moo
25-02-2009, 19:05
I find it amusing that from matth's deepful findings that he concludes BT is more robust than VM, that's all.

Peter_
25-02-2009, 19:45
I find it amusing that from matth's deepful findings that he concludes BT is more robust than VM, that's all.
My thought exactly but I was puzzled by the "ha ha ha" hence my puzzled smiley , better than words.;)

tweetypie/8
26-02-2009, 12:28
I've heard this from an otherwise reliable source, but I want it confirmed by somebody else.

Assume I had a bog-standard phone attached to a VM phone line. Just your average handset, totally powered by the line.

What happens during a total local power cut?

In the case of a BT line, it'll stay on for as long as the generators at the exchange are fuelled and running. I've heard VM's lines go dead, however, which I could kinda believe as a lot of the kit is roadside, and presumably powered from there too, so it's feasible it would go off.

Is it true, or false? Or perhaps differs by previous franchise area?

false.

Matth
27-02-2009, 18:44
Having both a BT line and a VM line (really ought to tighten down now modem use is nothing to nothing).

Lost VM line in powercut - YES
Lost BT line in powercut - NEVER

I conclude that VM's outage coverage is not as complete.

Another thing, how well covered are the various mobile networks?

Mr_Moo
28-02-2009, 14:23
Virgin Mobile uses T-Mobiles network.

BexTech
02-03-2009, 16:24
I've lived in several areas of Brum and had many a power loss, every time the cable landline has gone down, yet neighbours BT lines still working.

Mr_Moo
03-03-2009, 20:01
Virgins/ntl:telewests network uses 35 volts D.C on their lines and BT uses 55 volts D.C. Now I'm not sure exactly how BT's network works, but considering they use telegraph poles and the line/signal probably has further to travel they would need the extra voltage to carry it. Therefore upon the misfortune of a small commercial power outage the chances that the same source of power is in the same area is slim. Thus being why when you have a power cut in your area and have a BT line, it is not affected.