PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting intermitently

Reverynd
20-02-2009, 20:08
Hi guys,
Having a problem where my Virgin cable modem will reset itself if the upload rate goes above about 40kb/s. I have a 20Mb line though torrents will only d/l at about 300-400KB/s. It's one of the first modems they supplied so it's quite old, though Virgin assured us that it would be capable of 20Mb.

This is the cable modem configuration information:
Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
MAC address : ***********
IP address : ***********
Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.25 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.15 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 49.00 dBmv

any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Reverynd

MOD EDIT: Personal details removed from information

Peter_
20-02-2009, 20:10
All power levels are fine are you connected to a router.

Which model is it please click the Chetnet link to see all NTL modems http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4

Reverynd
20-02-2009, 21:46
Hi, thanks for the quick response.
I checked the link, my modem is the 'ntl:home Series 100'. All power connectors are fine. It doesn't matter if it's connected to a router with multiple machines feeding off it, or just one computer attached directly to the modem, it will disconnect randomly.

Reverynd

Peter_
20-02-2009, 22:07
I checked the link, my modem is the 'ntl:home Series 100'. All power connectors are fine. It doesn't matter if it's connected to a router with multiple machines feeding off it, or just one computer attached directly to the modem, it will disconnect randomly.

Reverynd

If you have an NTL100 then you need a replacement being on 20Mb, ring tomorrow morning and you should get a UK call centre.

Check this link out and it will tell you if a modem is required then speak to Tech Support How to order a new modem link
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service_20MB.html

cabsandy
21-02-2009, 07:17

Reverynd

That is a VERY old modem-it;s probably goosed.Phone em up and tell em' there are blue sparks coming out out of it.That should ensure a swap and you'll be sorted

Reverynd
20-03-2009, 22:52
Just a quick update. Got my modem replaced with an 'Ambit 256' and it seems to have solved all my problems. I can now have multiple connections running different internet applications and the connection has been fine.

Thanks for all your help!
Reverynd