PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Speed

privateb
19-02-2009, 17:49
Hi guys I am on 10meg bb but have just done a scan on thinkbroadband and it is only giving me 2mb here is the link:-
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/12350655499503951730.html

Is there any reason why I am only getting 2 mb I did the test 3 times and it was about this speed every time.
Thanks

on in an hour!
19-02-2009, 17:51
Hi guys I am on 10meg bb but have just done a scan on thinkbroadband and it is only giving me 2mb here is the link:-
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/12350655499503951730.html

Is there any reason why I am only getting 2 mb I did the test 3 times and it was about this speed every time.
Thanks
sounds like your mistaken about your speed privateb,type 192.168.100.1 into your address bar,use password:root and user name: root.click on modem configuration and post the figures.;)

Ernie_C
19-02-2009, 17:59
The upload speed, at almost 512Kb, shows that you are on the 10Mb product and not subject to traffic management (STM).

There are many reasons for not achieving your rated speed. The most likely is general contention but there are many more .......

Perhaps asking for some support on the appropriate Virgin Media newsgroup will help you understand if this is a Virgin Media issue (such as UBR oversubscription, high transaction rate,....) or something closer to home.

moaningmags
19-02-2009, 17:59
Your upload speed is just less than what's given for 10Mb and more than what's given for 2Mb.
Go to
http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/?C=S;O=D

Select a file more than 1G in size, select to save it. If the transfer rate is 900Kb/s or more, that's 10Mb, if it's less than that leave the first file running and start a second file from the page, sit the two of them side by side and add the transfer rates of each together.

privateb
19-02-2009, 18:02
sounds like your mistaken about your speed privateb,type 192.168.100.1 into your address bar,use password:root and user name: root.click on modem configuration and post the figures.;)

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

moaningmags
19-02-2009, 18:05
You're on 10Mb, use the link I gave above to get an accurate measurement of your download speed.

Stop the files once you've got the information, don't want you getting traffic managed.

Ernie_C
19-02-2009, 18:06
Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled
This confirms what was said in posts #3 and #4.

on in an hour!
19-02-2009, 18:08
This confirms what was said in posts #3 and #4.
this confirms what was said in post #7,confirms what was said in posts #3 and #4 :D :D :D

privateb
19-02-2009, 18:14
Thanks all

Welshchris
19-02-2009, 23:41
Your upload speed is just less than what's given for 10Mb and more than what's given for 2Mb.
Go to
http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/?C=S;O=D

Select a file more than 1G in size, select to save it. If the transfer rate is 900Kb/s or more, that's 10Mb, if it's less than that leave the first file running and start a second file from the page, sit the two of them side by side and add the transfer rates of each together.

This gamefiles link shouldnt be given out atm as their server is still giving problems i have reported the problem and this is what i was told on their newsgroup.................

We have had intermittent issues with gamefiles giving poor speeds when
testing. This is still under investigation
and I will check for an update.

--
Kind Regards
Patrick Ackbar
Virgin Media Technical Support
http://status2.virginmedia.com/
Please bottom-post when responding to aid viewing for all readers, thank
you.

moaningmags
19-02-2009, 23:48
Which is why I gave the link I did.
It links to gamefiles but gives the files from the biggest first.
Most people go to the site and take Battlefield.
For me, the site is consistently accurate.

Welshchris
20-02-2009, 00:11
but not for all so i dont think its wise giving it as just because its accurate for u, doesnt mean it will b for others and could cause others to question their connection when it doesnt need to be.

moaningmags
20-02-2009, 00:33
They're already questioning it using inaccurate speed testing sites. Most people test their speed repeatedly and at various times of the day, given the issue with gamefiles is intermittent, it will test correctly some of the time, also given the op appears to be satisfied I'll guess it worked for them too or they were happy with the advice from everyone who contributed to the thread.