PDA

View Full Version : peugeot 407 head unit

jayofcastleford
17-02-2009, 22:55
i have a 407 year 2005
i just got it and i have subs and amps from my old car i would like to install.i cant get rid of the head unit as thats the central part of the car controling most the functions on the dash but the head unit does not have rca ports to wire to the amp.
so what do i do any sujestions.
i bought a rca adaptor but the signal from the head unit is so small the subs and amps hardly pick it up caouse i have been told that the car has its own amp located near the rear of the car so any sujestions.
i was goin to try anbd install my own head unit in the place of the ash tray but been told the speakers that come in the car would sound bad.
is this true?
or any sujestions on how i could connect my amp to the oridginal head unit?

punky
18-02-2009, 09:28
Does it look like this?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/59.jpg

If it does, i'd mount a second head unit in the space by the gear shifter. Then you can extend the ISO connectors (if it has any) or splice the speaker wires. Of if you can't mount it there, then you can mount it in the glovebox (if there is room). Can work out expensive though to replace the parts to stock.

If you find the cables going to its own amp, you may be able to splice and use that if its a sufficient gauge.

pabscars
18-02-2009, 10:46
dont know if it will help, but i used to be well into my car stereos, subs amps etc, i had a similar problem on my 306, but i did change the head unit, but found the amps had to be turned up full to get them to really sing, so i purchased a Pheonix Gold (check spelling) line driver, which boosts the signal from the head unit into the amp, (normally wired up behind the headunit) or where ever suits, but this enabled me to turn the amps right down and stopped them from overheating.

Basically its just a mini amplifier that amplifies the signal before it reaches your amp, its not much bigger than a fag packet, so its easy to tuck away somewhere in your install,

i dont know if this is what your after but its worth a look on the PG website.

Back in the day they were 200 quid a pop, but i got one off ebay for £60 quid, and it was worth every penny and a piece of cake to wire up

jayofcastleford
18-02-2009, 14:10
if i mount a second unit will i still be able to use the on board controls on the standard head unit?

pabscars
18-02-2009, 15:14
i cant be 100% sure but it depends how compitent you are at wiring, if you plan a whole new install, complete with fresh power supplies, running good quality speaker wire etc, then i dont see why you need to interfere with the standard head unit, but isnt the standard head unit din sized anyway, or is it part of the cluster of instruments, i cant tell on the picture

punky
18-02-2009, 15:48
if i mount a second unit will i still be able to use the on board controls on the standard head unit?

Yeah, because you won't be touching the other head unit.

ShadowTD
18-02-2009, 16:36
You want one of those OEM integration units, like the Alpine FIT or Rockford Fosgate 360.1 or JL Cleansweep. These take the signal from OEM units, tidy it up and give you nice preouts. Some of them do a lot more.