PDA

View Full Version : What Did I Sign Up For?

Mechanicus
17-02-2009, 19:02
Hello. Tonight I had a phonecall from Virgin. My whole family was 'round, and being a bit noisy, but they were offering me something. The account is in my mum's name so she talked to them, and she ended up agreeing to pay for something, but she is not entirely certain about what.

The important points she managed to hear were '£15 postage', 'Long-time customers', something about a new service or something, and some sort of box which plugs into the phoneline possibly (they asked where the line was, but I don't know if they meant the phone line or broadband line). Oh, and there was something about cancelling if we don't want it.

Can anyone tell me what we have gotten ourselves into?

Hugh
17-02-2009, 19:50
No, sorry, not on the information you have supplied.

However, I would recommend you ring them back and find out the details as soon as possible.

BenMcr
17-02-2009, 19:50
sounds like they've chucked a 'Free' TV box your way. I would definately phone back and double check

It usually goes wrong and people get upgraded to TV L or XL 'for a month' and then can't downgrade again.

Mechanicus
17-02-2009, 21:12
I spoke to my mum again and she said they definitely asked where the phone line was. Also, she vaguely recalls them mentioning about something free for life, as long as we kept the phone line, although she doesn't know what.

They also told me (I spoke to them briefly but couldn't really hear them either) that I would retain my current discount for phone and broadband.

Hugh
17-02-2009, 21:14
I spoke to my mum again and she said they definitely asked where the phone line was. Also, she vaguely recalls them mentioning about something free for life, as long as we kept the phone line, although she doesn't know what.

They also told me (I spoke to them briefly but couldn't really hear them either) that I would retain my current discount for phone and broadband.
Again, my recommendation - if you don't have a full picture, ring them up (when it's quieter) and get the full facts, then make a decision.

Mechanicus
17-02-2009, 21:23
Again, my recommendation - if you don't have a full picture, ring them up (when it's quieter) and get the full facts, then make a decision.

I was hoping to avoid doing that, because of the hassle of explaining it, but if nobody can give me any guesses by tomorrow, I'll guess I'll have to.

*sigh*

The new family car turned up today, so I'm trying to juggle insurance quotes for 2 people, trying to sort out driving lessons, cancelling existing insurance policies, and now this! :(

broadbandking
17-02-2009, 23:12
Your mum has agreed to the free tv package however call up and make sure its the free tv and not a higher package which they are going to give you free for a month and then charge you until you downgrade.

Mechanicus
17-02-2009, 23:25
Your mum has agreed to the free tv package however call up and make sure its the free tv and not a higher package which they are going to give you free for a month and then charge you until you downgrade.

Right, thanks for the info. I have no interest in free TV, as I have Sky upstairs and downstairs.

I think it's really bad that they phoned us up, after 6pm, when we were clearly busy (lots of noise in the background) and try and sell us something. Also, I am on a no Cold Calling list.

Also, when I cancelled Virgin's TV package (when they lost the Sky channels), I clearly remember telling them I was switching to Sky - you would have thought they would have noted that on my account!

Also also, the only number they gave us to phone was 150, so I am going to have to navigate the useless phone sytem to sort it all out! :(

Also also also - how bloody cheeky is it to charge us £15 postage for what is essentially a freeview box, which sell for less than that in the shops?!

BenMcr
17-02-2009, 23:40
I think it's really bad that they phoned us up, after 6pm, when we were clearly busy (lots of noise in the background) and try and sell us something. Also, I am on a no Cold Calling list.
You could have said no!

Also, when I cancelled Virgin's TV package (when they lost the Sky channels), I clearly remember telling them I was switching to Sky - you would have thought they would have noted that on my account!
That was over 12 months ago - maybe now the Sky channels are back they might have thought you want to swap back?

Also also, the only number they gave us to phone was 150, so I am going to have to navigate the useless phone sytem to sort it all out! :(
There are only 4 options! - Press option 4 which is for 'anything else'

Also also also - how bloody cheeky is it to charge us £15 postage for what is essentially a freeview box, which sell for less than that in the shops?!
Show me a Freeview box that has access to the VoD content that Virgin has

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:38 ----------

P.S Sorry to labour the point - you could have said no!

AndyCambs
18-02-2009, 12:27
You just can't please some people...

broadbandking
18-02-2009, 13:18
You just can't please some people...

You can't but you have to watch out for sales rep's they are very good at wording things make you say yes and some can be rather pushy.

nffc
18-02-2009, 14:40

Don't forget if you phone most homes before 6 people are working, so evening is actually the best time to speak to people.

Also, if you're a VM customer it's not cold calling, and because you have dealings with them they can call you even if you're TPS (which strictly, is a block on unsolicited sales calls where you have no dealings with the company).

xpod
18-02-2009, 15:06
Without meaning to be rude this is all too common.Not just the pushy sales reps playing on peoples ignorance but the people themselves.There`s far too many customers who dont have any real idea exactly what services they pay for or indeed what services they actually receive.

The only time i recall an unsolicited call from VM is back when we upgraded from the STB to the 4Mb cable modem.We got a call out the blue a couple of weeks later asking how we liked the faster service but more specifically to inform us that the 1MB STB line had also been left on and VM were happy to let us know that we wouldn`t be charged for it.............:erm:
Great...a freebie from them i thought.Made up for some of the past nonsense.2 lines was certainly handy at times.
It wasn`t till some time later i discovered that far from being a freebie it had only still been on at all because the buggers couldn`t turn it off for many of us ex NTL users going from the STB BB to a SACM connection.