PDA

View Full Version : Lag on Xbox 360

Nor
17-02-2009, 16:07
Lo fellas,

Over the past week I've found myself getting pretty bad lag in Fifa 09. Happened in COD4 too. I have run a series of speed and packet loss tests on my PC and the connection seems fine - reasonably low latency and zero packet loss.

Resetting my router (Linksys) has on ocassion sorted the lag on the 360 temporarily. Anyone have any ideas what to try next? I have a new router coming from Virgin btw.

*sloman*
17-02-2009, 16:30
Couple of questions:

Are you wired or wireless with the 360?

Have you got a DMZ option within the router?

Give you xbox a static IP e.g 192.168.2.10 and set that ip in DMZ.

This may help?

If you have not got a DMZ option, enable the following ports for the Xbox IP

The following ports must be available to your Xbox 360 console for Xbox LIVE to operate correctly:
TCP 80
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074
UDP 53
TCP 53

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

Let me know if any of this helps!

PS is this now and again or all the time as everyone get lag now and again.

Nor
17-02-2009, 16:33
Couple of questions:

Are you wired or wireless with the 360?

Have you got a DMZ option within the router?

Give you xbox a static IP e.g 192.168.2.10 and set that ip in DMZ.

This may help?

If you have not got a DMZ option, enable the following ports for the Xbox IP

The following ports must be available to your Xbox 360 console for Xbox LIVE to operate correctly:
TCP 80
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074
UDP 53
TCP 53

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

Let me know if any of this helps!

Hi Slo, thanks.

I use Ethernet to connect to the 360 from my Linksys router. My 360 has a static IP and have those ports forwarded to make sure there are no NAT restrictions. My 360 has always been pretty much lag free, until this last week.

I am wondering whether the network card inside the 360 is flakey, but I unfortunately don't have access to another 360 so I can rule that out. I don't game on the PC anymore either, so can't really check it that way. The most obvious reason is that my VM connection has high latency and packet loss, but the tests I've run via my PC don't seem to show anything too bad.

*sloman*
17-02-2009, 16:48
hum maybe the network card is on it way out!

There is an Microsoft Xbox 360 Ping 17 Test Disc floating around the internet. I think this was left in a customers 360 after he sent it away for repair my Microsoft.

I am work at the moment and we have a locked down internet so cant post a link.

Google 'Microsoft Xbox 360 Ping 17 Test Disc' and have a read to make sure this is legit.

Also try to ping your 360 from your PC (wired) to make sure it not your router causing the problem

ping -t 192.168.2.10

you would expect only a few ms

Nor
17-02-2009, 17:05
Great thinking. Will give it a bash.

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Can't get it to ping my 360 (192.168.1.250) for some reason, just timing out.

*sloman*
17-02-2009, 18:58
You need to have SSID Discovery and UPnP services enabled for it to work

Nor
18-02-2009, 14:52
I'm using Ethernet, but have enabled UPnP Slo and no joy.

*sloman*
18-02-2009, 15:11
Hi Nor

Just looking on http://xbox-scene.com

someone gave this reply

Xbox 360 actively rejects pings. ICMP packets have nothing to do with TCP/IP. You don't have to be able to ping something for it to work. XBOX 360 is a perfect example. Yes it uses TCP packets to communicate and it can communicate across a network in a range of different ways but ICMP is not one of them. ICMP is just for connectivity testing only. It is turned off in a lot of cases for security purposes.

The only other way to test the router is ping PC to PC or PC to another networked attached system/storage.

Is your 360 still in its 1yr warranty?

Nor
18-02-2009, 15:14
Hi Nor

Just looking on http://xbox-scene.com

someone gave this reply

Xbox 360 actively rejects pings. ICMP packets have nothing to do with TCP/IP. You don't have to be able to ping something for it to work. XBOX 360 is a perfect example. Yes it uses TCP packets to communicate and it can communicate across a network in a range of different ways but ICMP is not one of them. ICMP is just for connectivity testing only. It is turned off in a lot of cases for security purposes.

The only other way to test the router is ping PC to PC or PC to another networked attached system/storage.

Is your 360 still in its 1yr warranty?

Thanks mate, yeah it's only a couple of months old.

In between this post and the last one I made a UPS fella delivered me a new router from Virgin :) so I'm going to plug it in and see if it sorts out the gaming issues. The problem seems to be intermittent, which makes me think it's more likely to be the Virgin network than something my end, but going to try all this first. Router was only £7.50 so worth a shot.

*sloman*
20-02-2009, 12:58
Nor

You have not peed anyone off on XBL?

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/microsoft-investigating-xbox-live-hackers-534807