PDA

View Full Version : Local Area Connection problem,

AdamAdament
16-02-2009, 19:50
Up until a couple of days ago my broadband was fine, but now I keep losing internet access. I can log on and evrything will appear to be fine, but then I get a message pop up in the toolbar informing me: Local Area Connection. A Network Cable is unplugged.
I've checked and rechecked and my ethernet cable is as connected as it ever will be. I even tried a different cable, but still the problem occurs.
I contacted Virgin Support this afternoon who went through some things with me and they told me it was okay. Five minuted later I lost connection again.
Any suggestions please?

Frustrated :confused:

moaningmags
16-02-2009, 20:21
What lights do you have on the modem when it says network cable unplugged?
Sounds like the modem is rebooting, but it equally could be a failing ethernet cable, faulty nic or faulty port on the modem.

AdamAdament
16-02-2009, 20:50
According to Virgin Support, all the lights that are supposd to light up, do.
I also tried a new ethernet cable to see if that made a difference. It didn't.
I get internet access, but it comes and goes. I'll be using it and it will suddenly loose the connection, giving the message that I previously mentioned.

moaningmags
16-02-2009, 20:57
Which modem do you have?
Does the pc activity light or the enet light depending which modem go off when you get the message?
How often does it happen? If it's happening frequently you should be able to see what lights go off on the modem.
Have you had the message network cable unplugged when you've been on the phone to support?