PDA

View Full Version : Help with virgin media support, how-to??!

billyhoward
16-02-2009, 15:38
Hi all,

I just wondered if any you guys have a good way of getting virgin media's attention! I'm really getting frustrated with VM because of the issues i am having, and yet for the issue to be resolved.

The issue i'm having is an intermittent issue, whereby I get packet loss and internet browsing is incredibly unusable.. it takes about 3 minutes to load a page, and never actually completely loads the page.

I've been on the phone countless times with VM, I have been informed that this has been esculated, and found out it wasnt! i've been promised 3 calls back, and havent received a single phone call.

One guy said the SNR on my line was below what it should be.

This is getting quite stupid.

I'm on the 50meg line.

It seems to be mostly in the evening that this happens.

I just need to know the best way to get to 2nd or 3rd line support, so that i get someone who can actually resolve my issue!

I've also had an egineer over to look at things, which go us no where!

Thanks for any guidance
Billy

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Also, what should the signal levels me on my new 50meg cable modem?

Billy

rjsetford
16-02-2009, 15:47
I had exactly the same issue at you (albeit I'm on a 10mb service not a 50mb).

The second engineer that came out to me swapped my modem, knocked the signal up at the street box a touch and fitted an isolator. Touch wood, that seemed to cure it.

Get an engineer out and don't let him go until it's fixed. Go for a morning or an afternoon slot, that way they can contact their networking dept to make any changes beyond the street cab. If you take an evening slot and they turn up at 6:45-7pm, you might not get things sorted that night.

Hope that helps,

Rich

billyhoward
16-02-2009, 15:52
Hey rich,

Thanks for the reply! It's nice to know it's not just me with this issue. Was your issue intermintent also? Just the danger is that the engineer will come when it's working!

Billy

Magilla
16-02-2009, 17:24
Hi all,

I just wondered if any you guys have a good way of getting virgin media's attention! I'm really getting frustrated with VM because of the issues i am having, and yet for the issue to be resolved.

In my experience there isn't any effective way to contact VM.

The issue i'm having is an intermittent issue, whereby I get packet loss and internet browsing is incredibly unusable.. it takes about 3 minutes to load a page, and never actually completely loads the page.

Sounds exactly like my connection.

I've been on the phone countless times with VM, I have been informed that this has been esculated, and found out it wasnt! i've been promised 3 calls back, and havent received a single phone call.

All the phone is good for is collecting lies and misinformation.

One guy said the SNR on my line was below what it should be.

This is getting quite stupid.

I'm on the 50meg line.

It seems to be mostly in the evening that this happens.

Oversubscription?

I just need to know the best way to get to 2nd or 3rd line support, so that i get someone who can actually resolve my issue!

Good luck with that.

joglynne
16-02-2009, 17:42
You could always try posting on the virginmedia news groups which have proved very effective for members in the past, I know that they are UK based and are there up to 10pm. Set up instructions here:-

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up.php

...and you will need the virginmedia.support.broadband.cable group.

I know the techs deal with services up to 20Mb, I may be mistaken but I thought that the 50Mb service had a separate helpline for problems?

rjsetford
16-02-2009, 18:07
Hey rich,

Thanks for the reply! It's nice to know it's not just me with this issue. Was your issue intermintent also? Just the danger is that the engineer will come when it's working!

Billy

It was certainly worse in the evenings, after 5pm but my packet loss was evident troughout the day. I also esured that the bods on 151 made a note of the 20%+ packet loss that they were able to see as well.

Rich

brundles
16-02-2009, 18:59
You could always try posting on the virginmedia news groups which have proved very effective for members in the past, I know that they are UK based and are there up to 10pm. Set up instructions here:-

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up.php

...and you will need the virginmedia.support.broadband.cable group.

I know the techs deal with services up to 20Mb, I may be mistaken but I thought that the 50Mb service had a separate helpline for problems?

Seconded for the news groups - I'll now only request support via them because of the number of times I've been messed around, passed round the houses and given generally duff information by telephone support staff.

The last issue I had was resolved via the newsgroups very quickly.

chickendippers
16-02-2009, 20:03
It's all in the Code of Practice: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/index.html

Section 5.5.