PDA

View Full Version : Sky HD+: What do I need / get?

MovedGoalPosts
16-02-2009, 12:54
So it's time to give up on Virgin Ever getting their HD offerings up to par. The £49.00 install offer of Sky is enough to entice me off the Virgin VIP package.

My VM boradband is good, so I'd keep that.

I only have a VM phone line, and am not going to pay for BT to install one as that would be a silly cost. I know the Sky STB needs a phone line:
Will it work with a Virgin land line?
How often does it dial out?
What type of number i.e. geographical, 0845, 0800?

The Sky HD+ box itself.
Is there an optical output for the sound so I can connect it to my amplifier that doesn't do HDMI?
It's surprising how often I am using both recorders on the V+ whilst watching something else. How many channels can be watched / recorded at once?

The install. Does the £49.00 include a dish and all cabling?

Which direction does the satellite dish point (North, South)? Trying to work out where it might actually go on my house as I don't really want it on the front wall.

Thanks.

Scrubbs
16-02-2009, 15:25
Can't help on most of your questions except to say if you look at your neighbours dishes you probably find they are pointing southerly.

etccarmageddon
16-02-2009, 17:01
the install cost should cover dish and cabling.

I'd ditch the VM broadband and get sky's free offering - which means you'd need a phone line (BT) installed but the sky box should be ok connected to your VM line. when it dials out it's to a free number except if you use interactive paid for features.

this site might help

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/

MovedGoalPosts
16-02-2009, 17:05
I currently get VM 20 meg. I'm not going to get near that on Sky free or otherwise.

Tezcatlipoca
16-02-2009, 21:04
Will it work with a Virgin land line?
What type of number i.e. geographical, 0845, 0800?

The Sky HD+ box itself.
Is there an optical output for the sound so I can connect it to my amplifier that doesn't do HDMI?
It's surprising how often I am using both recorders on the V+ whilst watching something else. How many channels can be watched / recorded at once?

Which direction does the satellite dish point (North, South)? Trying to work out where it might actually go on my house as I don't really want it on the front wall.

Thanks.

It'll work fine with a VM landline. Doesn't need to be BT. No idea how often it uses the line though or what number.

Yep, the STB has an optical audio output.

The STB has two tuners, so you can watch/record one channel while recording another.

"Standard" installation is free for new customers. Should include everything.

http://packages.sky.com/hd/

EBD3000
17-02-2009, 13:39
Which direction does the satellite dish point (North, South)?

Just to add a little bit to the above questions -

Very infrequently, I think its only the sky interactive services. Its free for stuff like pin resets/changes, upgrading/downgrading your package and account queries. You pay for the games and maybe the online shopping.

Everything is included in the install free unless its a special install i.e. if a pole is needed to mount the dish on.

Annoyingly (for me) South. Blasted trees! :mad:

etccarmageddon
17-02-2009, 15:25
for example... it dials up after you have used box office - for billing purposes.

mr_bo
17-02-2009, 21:48
You will love the sound quality when connected to an amp via optical. I went from v+ to sky hd and the difference is massive.

vbnmu
14-05-2009, 23:44
I have only just moved from VM (XL TV+ 2MB BB+ Basic Phone+ additional services+ V+ at a monthly cost of £76) to VM 2MB BB + Sky+.
I have a code for a free SKY+ box (Not Sky+HD) so that saved me £49. VM called me after I requested cancellation. Lady on the line offered me 2MB BB for 1/2 price for 6 months without the phone line = £10/month. After that period, I will try my luck again and hopefully get another good deal.

You can pay Sky £25 if you don't intend to connect your box to a phone line.

I could use a phone line but after my experience with VM, I have been put off having one.

So my old deal with VM was:
XL TV + 2MB BB + Basic Phone + 800 call anywhere+ Addition channel = £76

I now have:
Sky + incl. 3 packs (£18.50) + 2MB BB(£10) =£28.50

If VM don't renew the deal am going for (would have gone for that anyway until I wasn't offered 1/2 price BB):
Sky+ incl. 3 packs(£18.50) + Sky phone line (£10) + O2 BB(£7.50) =£36
+ Installation charge of £25 for Sky phone line

Admittedly, we have different reasons for wanting to leave VM but maybe this will help you. I have yet to pay Sky £25 for not having a phone line but will do so when I get a reminder.

vbnmu
15-05-2009, 03:24
Is it just me or does it seem like VM are fighting a losing battle to gain customers for their TV contents?