PDA

View Full Version : Does a V+ box have a cable modem in it?

Sinate
14-02-2009, 18:06
Hi,

I currently have a Samsung STB that I connect my wireless BB router to. If I upgrade to a V+ box, can I keep the same set-up?

Virgin tried to get me to use a separate cable modem, but the dam thing was so unreliable I just reverted to what worked and made sense (after a fault, the CM just refused to reconnect, but the old Samsung was happy as Larry).

Cheers,

Steve.

chickendippers
14-02-2009, 18:13
No, the V+ box does not have modem functionality.

If you were unable to switch to a SACM it sounds like a member of staff screwed up the setting in your account. We switched and it worked perfectly.

Sinate
14-02-2009, 18:38
Thanks for that info.

I also gave up at a time when it cost an arm and leg to get BB support.

Will keep the same set-up for the time being until Virgin get a nice set of HD channels and then I'll run the risk of switching over to the cable modem.

Cheers,

Steve.

Aser
15-02-2009, 17:33
If you could get internet through your samsung STB even after virgin sent you the cable modem, then it sounds like virgin didn't register your cable modem mac address properly. As far as I know only one mac address can be registered to your account. That means either the STB can work or the cable modem and not both.

For the record, most people find cable modems to be more stable and more reliable than STBs for internet access.

Sinate
15-02-2009, 17:45
Yes, it does seem strange. When the engineer left, it worked fine. And after fighting with it I did manage to get it working again after a fault/power outage. But I just got fed up, as when I poked the Ethernet cable back in the STB it worked like a treat. At the time it saved money calling India and trying to explain. I'm only on a 2Mb connection, so maybe the STB can handle that fine.

chickendippers
15-02-2009, 17:59
Yes, the STB can handle 2Mb fine.

moaningmags
15-02-2009, 18:13
Yes, the STB can handle 2Mb fine.

Unless it's ex-Telewest, that only does 1Mb.