PDA

View Full Version : By far the worst provider

ryan4katie
14-02-2009, 14:58
virgin media is by far the worst internet provider in my eyes

they are shocking my partners father just subscribed to Virgin media by word of mouth. they are brilliant no problems.

i am one with virgin media and not a happy customer, i get capped even if i download legal files in peak times, customer support is very poor, well my partners father has now been lumbered with a 12 month contract with them, he gets seriously high pings, shocking download rates, 2mb download speed out of 20mb.

not up to stands for browsing the web to slow at loading pages up like ebay, i formatted his computer for him put everything back in internet is still the same so i get onto the phone to customer support for him as he dont know nout about computers, well they turned round and said they will send him a new modem i set that up for him guess what still poor. so i put it on format again put everything back in even rung them back and they did a scan and turned round and said it was spyware.

wouldnt mind we had only been on ebay.co.uk and they said spyware

SnoopZ
14-02-2009, 15:04
No problems here, 9/10

Dai
14-02-2009, 15:09
It seems to be a bit of a 'postcode lottery'. I'm very happy with my connection, reliable and pretty much up to max for most of the time.

I know it's not the same for everyone but it's a damn sight better than my neighbour's ADSL.

yorkshireborn
14-02-2009, 15:45
is he in his cooling off period if so get him to cancel

brimurray
14-02-2009, 16:29
I was sceptical about going over to VM. I did so in July last year simply because I did not wish to wait up to 20 days for my ADSL re connection!
I have had a 100% reliable connection since then at 19700+KBs going down to around 12 - 1300 KBs at peak times(UBR oversubscription) on downstream and a consistent upstream of around 730 KBs.
Customer service has always been quick, responsive and very courteous. Absolutely 1 st class, streets ahead of any previous experience (AOL,BT,Orange).
I have now XL TV and once again superb service.
I am in Edinburgh (ex Telewest) and honestly cannot recommend VM highly enough. Credit where credit's due.

Ernie_C
14-02-2009, 16:53

they are shocking my partners father just subscribed to Virgin media by word of mouth. they are brilliant no problems.

i am one with virgin media and not a happy customer, i get capped even if i download legal files in peak times, customer support is very poor, well my partners father has now been lumbered with a 12 month contract with them, he gets seriously high pings, shocking download rates, 2mb download speed out of 20mb.

not up to stands for browsing the web to slow at loading pages up like ebay, i formatted his computer for him put everything back in internet is still the same so i get onto the phone to customer support for him as he dont know nout about computers, well they turned round and said they will send him a new modem i set that up for him guess what still poor. so i put it on format again put everything back in even rung them back and they did a scan and turned round and said it was spyware.

Given that you were vociferous on here some ten months ago now, I AM AMAZED what little regard you have for your partner's father - to allow him to contract for this awful service!!

AppleSauce
14-02-2009, 17:37
ISP's can't please everyone, no matter which ISP you look at you'll always come across people who are unhappy with the service.

It's just the luck of the draw at the end of the day.

Pushkar
14-02-2009, 20:03
If you don't like the service yourself, then why are you still with them?

scrotnig
14-02-2009, 23:08
I appreciate that's your personal experience and that's perfectly valid.

My experience is different. I have what must be a great rarity in the UK...I pay for a 20mb service, and it actually runs at 20mb.

No, really. You can do any speed test you like and the lowest result it can give is 18mb.

homealone
15-02-2009, 00:29
I appreciate that's your personal experience and that's perfectly valid.

My experience is different. I have what must be a great rarity in the UK...I pay for a 20mb service, and it actually runs at 20mb.

No, really. You can do any speed test you like and the lowest result it can give is 18mb.

I also have the 20mb service & it tends to be very reliable, doing exactly what it 'says on the tin'.

People getting less than they pay for should continue to complain & get the problems investigated, but 'by far the worst provider' is subjective, at best :)

scrotnig
15-02-2009, 00:44
I also have the 20mb service & it tends to be very reliable, doing exactly what it 'says on the tin'.

People getting less than they pay for should continue to complain & get the problems investigated, but 'by far the worst provider' is subjective, at best :)
I totally agree. I think Virgin Media's service is excellent overall. And that applies to the TV and phone too. It's so good it gets easy to take it for granted, I wouldn't use anyone else.

It's the second anniversary of my V+ this month, it's still the same one and it's quite literally faultless. I've a standard box too and I've had that one since 2003 (it's a Samsung). Again, the worst I see on either is the occasional reboot.

I get 20mb broadband, a V+ box, an ordinary box, phone with 24/7 free landline calls, TV package is everything except sports and movies, and the whole lot is about £62. All things considered, I think that's pretty good.

ryan4katie
15-02-2009, 11:50
Given that you were vociferous on here some ten months ago now, I AM AMAZED what little regard you have for your partner's father - to allow him to contract for this awful service!!

to be honest pal i dont know what the hell your problem is, im trying to get some answers to see if anyone else has had a bad service. so if you cant say anything nice to anyone hush it ? and for your info he did it by himself i only found out when we went up to his house

Raistlin
15-02-2009, 11:56
You posted your experiences/opinion in an open forum, other people are now giving you their opinions/experiences.

You might not like them, but that's just the way life is.

There are enough people complaining about Virgin on this forum for you to read through their experiences and see whether they match yours. Their are also a large number of people who have had no problems and who are perfectly satisfied with the service they receive.

You're going to get people from both sides of the fence answering your posts, and there's nothing that you can do to prevent that - my suggestion to you is that either live with that or that you refrain from posting.

Telling people to 'hush it' is only going to end one way.

Toto
15-02-2009, 13:50
ISP's can't please everyone, no matter which ISP you look at you'll always come across people who are unhappy with the service.

It's just the luck of the draw at the end of the day.

Have to agree here, there isn't a single ISP in the UK who doesn't have good and bad reviews from the end user.

SideWeaver
15-02-2009, 18:16
Originally with Telewest, we were very happy with the Service, the first ISP we used. Never any problems, and we had one fault, which was fixed the next day after reporting it. Due to money troubles though, we had to leave to cut down.

Jan 08' we rejoined, under the VM Brand. Same again, perfect Service and had no troubles at all. The STM has hardly affected me, I guess I was lucky, but I just made sure I worked around it. I would never say I have had a bad experience with VM at all.

In regards to comments here, it is true that not everybody will be happy. There are bound to be People who are experiencing difficulty, it does always happen. With the new DOCSIS Platform in place though, until it is fully implemented accross the Country, there is really no way we can see the results. I would believe that once their plans (whatever they are) are in place, we will soon see how it all works out. They may be oversubscribed, but if this new platform can release some of the pressure; the Network should hopefully be running at a new optimum.

keyholder
15-02-2009, 19:16

Maybe , jsut maybe, if you asked for help then people will be willing to help you :) Ranting and raving might do you good, but it shall not get you no where :D

Indeed VM have thier problems but like other forum members say, Its down to personal experience. If you are truley not happy about it then complain and complain, But also be polite to CS, they are only doing thier job Weather it be good or bad. At some point Most of us have a bad customer service experience from VM.

If it wasnt for the VM workers on here i Think that those of us with the problems would still be having them or left VM by now :) So thanks to them :D:D:D :angel:

After all if you dont ask, you dont get :D Time and patience dude.

Ignitionnet
15-02-2009, 19:57
*Shrug*

They are neither the best nor the worst of a pretty sorry bunch for the most part. I could give you some far worse ISPs if you fancy extreme frustration.

I could also give you some far better ones, but they cost more and we're a tight bunch of buggers for broadband prices, which is why the crappy ISPs have most of the business :)

SMG
15-02-2009, 20:31
Well I`m satisfied with my package, (As is the missus):erm:. I get 10 meg & phone for £22.50. The broadband Virgin) goes off occasionally for a hour or so, but I can live with that. Others on BT are constantly griping about speeds.

oliver1948uk
15-02-2009, 23:04
I have been an NTL/VM customer for over 10 years. Yes, there have been issues but always eventually resolved to my satisfaction (and in the past year I have actually been rung back TWICE to see if things have been sorted out).

Over the same period I have had issues wiith the following companies where I have got nowhere: Orange, O2, London Electricity, BT (which is why I came to NTL in the first place), Severn Trent Water (an appalling company).

Magilla
17-02-2009, 12:20

Couldn't agree more.

huyi
17-02-2009, 12:23
Couldn't agree more.

ditto, as soon as i move in with my fiancée, goodbye virgin media!

Kellargh
17-02-2009, 16:05
I'd kill to get Virgin Media instead of my shoddy BT connection!!

AndyCambs
17-02-2009, 16:12
Apart from the time that the STB went funny (my broadband used to come through STB), and they came out the next day to replace the box - I've never had any problem!

Magilla
17-02-2009, 16:28
I'd kill to get Virgin Media instead of my shoddy BT connection!!

Not if you lived in my area you wouldn't. *Any* BT connection will beat it hands down.

Scrubbs
17-02-2009, 16:41
to make a statement such as "virgin media is by far the worst internet provider" must mean that the person making the statement has measured virgin media against every other ISP. I don't believe for a second that he/she has tried out every isp and found VM the worst
I have only ever had ntl/VM so I couldn't possible say who is best/worst,

Or am I just being pedantic??? .......... Maybe :shrug:

Just my :2cents:

Magilla
17-02-2009, 17:25
to make a statement such as "virgin media is by far the worst internet provider" must mean that the person making the statement has measured virgin media against every other ISP. I don't believe for a second that he/she has tried out every isp and found VM the worst
I have only ever had ntl/VM so I couldn't possible say who is best/worst,

Or am I just being pedantic??? .......... Maybe :shrug:

Just my :2cents:

Quite, though the service and product are so bad it is impossible to imagine anyone else could be worse without significant effort and expect to stay in business without the monopoly VM have.

I will concede that I haven't tried them all, however it's pretty clear (IME) that VM don't give a crap about their existing customers and are happy to rip off new customers in oversubscribed areas.

rockabillybass
17-02-2009, 18:04
I very rarely post here anymore. The main reason is that I hardly ever have a problem with my 20 meg broadband. I got a V+ Box recently. That's been great too.

My mother-in-law has Talk Talk broadband. Now that IS cr**..

I used to hate NTL and Virgin but over the last year they've got their act together - in my area at least..

danny85
17-02-2009, 18:14
i never have any problems in my area and have used a few isp's and virgin's service is on a par or better than others imho plus i never have any probs with my tv or phone so its not all bad imo

Nicosia
17-02-2009, 18:29
virgin media only cap you if you download iligal files? i thought it was any files you get capped apart from with the new 50mbit connection no cap ( yet )

Arthurgray50@blu
17-02-2009, 18:51
I think the member who started this thread, is only saying, what about 60% of subs are thinking.

I think the only good thing is the phoneline, in the years that we have been with VM, its only the Phone, that we have been pleased about, The BB has been poor, and the TV is also poor, with the lack of HD channels, and the introduction of new channels.

There has to be other broadcastors, that are prepared to take on VM, as at the moment, they are miles behind Sky.

Nicosia
17-02-2009, 18:54
i find that with adsl i get poor speeds and a yoyo connection.. with virgin media i had full 20mbit any time ( as long as i did not go over cap ) wich i did a lot when i first had 20mbit.. definatly going to try the 50mbit when its available in cambridge

Toto
17-02-2009, 19:29
I think the member who started this thread, is only saying, what about 60% of subs are thinking.

I think the only good thing is the phoneline, in the years that we have been with VM, its only the Phone, that we have been pleased about, The BB has been poor, and the TV is also poor, with the lack of HD channels, and the introduction of new channels.

There has to be other broadcastors, that are prepared to take on VM, as at the moment, they are miles behind Sky.

So, what source are you referring to when about 1.6M VM Internet users think that VM are by far the worst ISP???

sollp
17-02-2009, 19:56
Quite, though the service and product are so bad it is impossible to imagine anyone else could be worse without significant effort and expect to stay in business without the monopoly VM have.

I will concede that I haven't tried them all, however it's pretty clear (IME) that VM don't give a crap about their existing customers and are happy to rip off new customers in oversubscribed areas.

How have you come to the conclusion that the product and service that Virginmedia provide is so bad? How do you know they don't give a crap? How are they ripping off new customers in oversubscribed ares?

I assume you have all the relevant facts and data to back your staement up? Why is there a monopoly with VIrginmedia?

graf_von_anonym
18-02-2009, 00:17
While it's fairly obvious that in areas Virgin Media is oversubscribed, they are somewhat constrained in what they can do about it. Adding capacity isn't an instantaneous process, and while that could almost certainly be speeded up in places that requires investment; given the debt-forward model Virgin seem to use that means taking money from somewhere else or inventing new money, both of which have atttendant difficulties.

As a publicly listed company there's no way Virgin could stop selling broadband in a given area, because the share price would tank, and the whole shooting match would go. So they patch and scrape and hope and are, I believe, crossing their fingers that the 50Mb rollout will resolve most issues.

That said, their deliberately bad customer service* and purposefully antiquated network** are all designed to hide the fact that Virgin Media are actually a front organisation for the reverse vampires and are exposing every household on their network to dark magicks through their baleful coaxial cables, leaking their leprous vapours into homes in order to enslave us.

* I have it on good authority*** that before every shift Virgin Media employees drink chickens' blood from Microsoft-sponsored pewter goblets shaped like the tormented souls who have been thwarted in their attempts to legitimately share terabytes of Linux distributions a day, and staff are awarded relief from time spent in Purgatory after death for every subscriber they actively disappoint or offend.
** IP addresses on the Enfield UBRs are actually assigned by the dartboard of The Red Lion on Hertford road.
*** I am immune to the cable-snakes mind-poisoning fumes because I have no True Name.

aml1uk
18-02-2009, 04:09
virgin media are the worst
all virgin meia are intrested in is sending incorrect bills/statements and threatening letters etc and encouraging you to sign up to a higher package charging you more and cutting your down/upload limits to a mininum at the same time which as a result is only slighter better than dialup leaving you worse off with the peaktime cap that lasts for atleast 10hrs if you go over its limit its now at the stage where you cant even update for windows or antivirus firewall etc without triggering the stm
so you get hacked pinged like f*** if you cant update
vm must have a share in these scam artists
all vm do if you complain about anything all they do is blame illegal down/uploading or spyware ec but what can you expect if you phone to complain about anything all you get through to is some indian call centre which you cant understand a thing they say and they havent a clue as there just given a script to read and to patronise and intimidate you

Stabhappy
18-02-2009, 05:22
all virgin meia are intrested in is sending incorrect bills/statements and threatening letters etc and encouraging you to sign up to a higher package charging you more and cutting your down/upload limits to a mininum at the same time which as a result is only slighter better than dialup leaving you worse off with the peaktime cap that lasts for atleast 10hrs if you go over its limit its now at the stage where you cant even update for windows or antivirus firewall etc without triggering the stm
all vm do if you complain about anything all they do is blame illegal down/uploading or spyware ec but what can you expect if you phone to complain about anything all you get through to is some indian call centre which you cant understand a thing they say and they havent a clue as there just given a script to read and to patronise and intimidate you

Not a single part of this 'wall of text' is true.

Also, where the hell are you getting your firewall updates?

jamiefrost
18-02-2009, 08:26
Sone people will have a bad experiance, personally all 3 services from Virgin have been great. BB is rock solid and TV is great. Sky fustrates the c*** out of me.

I like to scan channles and get the synopsis of programmes while watching TV, but you can only do this on Sky by using the programme guide. :mad::mad:

So for me Sky TV is the worst by far, as for my parents experiance with BB, lets just say it wasn't the best.

JJ

Nicosia
18-02-2009, 08:39
the only thing i dont like is th eupload on the cable its very low but apart from that vm have the best bb

hedgie
18-02-2009, 09:24
I have been on Cable since about 1996??. The name on the bill has changed from Nynex to Cable & Wireless to NTL and now to Virgin Media.

To be honest the TV has always been reliable with the only the odd glitch until my old Pace box gave up the ghost. V+ is superb, my modest 2Mb internet is totally reliable and customer services under VM are much better than the old NTL service:).

Based on my experience I would recommend VM, although to be fair others posting here have had similar problems. When we first swapped from the old brown analogue box to the then new Pace digital STB(circa July 2000) we had loads of problems for about two weeks until they installed a new cable from the green cabinet to the house. If you cant get a technician to "engage" with your problem then it can be really uphill.

Not sure that this post has helped move the debate forward :shrug:

Magilla
18-02-2009, 10:42
How have you come to the conclusion that the product and service that Virginmedia provide is so bad?

Their 10Mb product maxes out at 300kb (in my area), the service is bad from my personal experience.

How do you know they don't give a crap?

Because they haven't resolved customer facing issues that have been ongoing for 5 months and can offer no explanation of why, or when they intend to carry out the work required to resolve these issues.

How are they ripping off new customers in oversubscribed ares?

As has been repeatedly stated, if you phone as a new customer and ask about oversubscription in a massively oversubscribed area, you will be told there are no issues and VM have no oversubscription problems.

I assume you have all the relevant facts and data to back your staement up?

Oversubscription is a matter of fact.

The standard of service from CS has been the worst I've ever experienced from any company. That is merely my own experience.

The statements made here are a reflection of the experiences of customers from Virgin Media, facts or no.

Many people think their service is fine, do we need "facts" for that aswell or do we take their word for it?

Why is there a monopoly with VIrginmedia?

Who else you going to get cable internet from?

Tech_Boy
18-02-2009, 12:23
depending if you are in covered areas, http://www.smallworldmedia.com/ ;)

sollp
19-02-2009, 22:42
Their 10Mb product maxes out at 300kb (in my area), the service is bad from my personal experience.

Because they haven't resolved customer facing issues that have been ongoing for 5 months and can offer no explanation of why, or when they intend to carry out the work required to resolve these issues.

As has been repeatedly stated, if you phone as a new customer and ask about oversubscription in a massively oversubscribed area, you will be told there are no issues and VM have no oversubscription problems.

Oversubscription is a matter of fact.

The standard of service from CS has been the worst I've ever experienced from any company. That is merely my own experience.

The statements made here are a reflection of the experiences of customers from Virgin Media, facts or no.

Many people think their service is fine, do we need "facts" for that aswell or do we take their word for it?

The statements are made by customers who have genuine problems of which not every customer knows exactly what is causing there problem, whilst i do not disagree with the issues you have raised but do disagree with the blanket statement you have stated reference VM products and services.

To raise individual probels/issues as the norm accross the whole of VM is inaccurate and miss guided to be your facts.

What you need to remember, the customers that frequent this site are genuinley after help and guidance and also to encourage by debate and ideas a way of improving the service from VM, you are obviuosly by the nature of this site and other like it, going to see a slightly more negative side, so to base your facts on this is as already stated missguided.

martyh
19-02-2009, 23:37
hi everyone thought i would stick my oar into this heated discussion
I too have some problems with vm i have also had problems with bt,npower,sky,norwich union,belkin tech,british gas,the post office ,inland rev,...the list goes on
my opinion of vm is they are providing a reasonable service based on the cost(which compared to the only other major provider of all the services ..sky..is cheap),and lets face it at the speed that technology improves these days it must be hard for vm to keep costs down and upgrade the infrastructure at the same time
i would also ask the original poster if when he goes to work he is on top of his game all the time or does he have days when he just doesn't give a damn,i know i do sometimes.I f i speak to an operator with any company and i feel i am not getting the service from them i simply hang up and phone through again knowing i will get a different operator
As i said before i have had probs with vm but i still think they they are the best of the bunch

Magilla
20-02-2009, 11:58
The statements are made by customers who have genuine problems of which not every customer knows exactly what is causing there problem, whilst i do not disagree with the issues you have raised but do disagree with the blanket statement you have stated reference VM products and services.

As is your perogative, as I have stated, this is my view based on my experience of being a customer of VM. Others views may vary.

To raise individual probels/issues as the norm accross the whole of VM is inaccurate and miss guided to be your facts.

Indeed, and this was fully clarified as "in my experience" in my previous post.

What you need to remember, the customers that frequent this site are genuinley after help and guidance and also to encourage by debate and ideas a way of improving the service from VM, you are obviuosly by the nature of this site and other like it, going to see a slightly more negative side, so to base your facts on this is as already stated missguided.

Did you bother to read my response? My statements are based on my personal experience, and have nothing whatsoever to do with this site or any other in anyway, other than I happen to agree with the OP of this thread (for the reasons I have stated).

sollp
20-02-2009, 18:43
As is your perogative, as I have stated, this is my view based on my experience of being a customer of VM. Others views may vary.

Indeed, and this was fully clarified as "in my experience" in my previous post.

Did you bother to read my response? My statements are based on my personal experience, and have nothing whatsoever to do with this site or any other in anyway, other than I happen to agree with the OP of this thread (for the reasons I have stated).

Thanks for clarifying that its down to your personal experience.

Zhadnost
21-02-2009, 09:14
I have a Virgin 20MBit service, a Be Upto 24Mbit service (syncs at 6852kbps) and a Pipex Homecall upto 8Mbit (advertised, sold and billed as up to 16Mbit but doesn't have ADSL2/2+ at the exchange, which syncs at 4000kbps) service.

The Virgin service has been completely solid, for 6 years. The Be service still constantly suffers packet loss (from 1% to 25%). The Pipex service has been relatively stable as of late but for the first couple of years was a nightmare.

Irrespective of who your provider is, anything that is nor a guaranteed service (like residential ADSL or Cable) is a postcode lottery.

Jabbs
21-02-2009, 10:31
Mines faultless been on them for 15 months now always get max speed no matter time or day apart from when stm'd, cs have been great the 2 times I've had to use them, had engineer out same day on both accounts to replace a faulty box, never lost tv,broadband, phone i really can't fault them 10/10 for me.

The PIT
21-02-2009, 20:20
Yup appalling service dunno how they survive. I guess everything is okay until it goes wrong and that's when the problems of lack of proper customer service show up.

Seven months of sub standard service false advertising from the off.

EcRyder
21-02-2009, 21:08
Was with Pipex previously, originally a bulldog customer. Worked fine until one day the service stopped, no dial tone on phone line, no ADSL on line. After 2 weeks of conversations to Indian call centres, calls totalling over £150, I still had no service. BT informed me someone from Pipex had instructed them to cease the line, never found out who or could get line/service reactivated.
Gave up and came to Virgin as BT wanted £115+VAT to reactivate phone line.
Since then virgin has been rock solid.
Your service seems poor but believe me there is a lot lot worse out there.

The PIT
21-02-2009, 21:32
Was with Pipex previously, originally a bulldog customer. Worked fine until one day the service stopped, no dial tone on phone line, no ADSL on line. After 2 weeks of conversations to Indian call centres, calls totalling over £150, I still had no service. BT informed me someone from Pipex had instructed them to cease the line, never found out who or could get line/service reactivated.
Gave up and came to Virgin as BT wanted £115+VAT to reactivate phone line.
Since then virgin has been rock solid.
Your service seems poor but believe me there is a lot lot worse out there.

Like I said wait til it goes wrong and then you end up waiting months for it to be fixed if ever.

Nicosia
21-02-2009, 22:00
in the many years i have been with ntl/virgin media the connection has not dropped many times and it was always back up very quickly.. from when 512kbit was only connection

Toto
21-02-2009, 22:06
Yup appalling service dunno how they survive. I guess everything is okay until it goes wrong and that's when the problems of lack of proper customer service show up.

Seven months of sub standard service false advertising from the off.

They survive because they retain customers, customers stay in the main because the service is good and reliable. Where there is competition it either isn't as good, or they can't be bothered.

Traduk
22-02-2009, 00:33
VM has remained the same throughout the many years I have been with from back in the Cabletel dial up days.

When the are good they are very very good but when they are bad they are awful.

Every year around Christmas they do something that ruins the service and takes me to the point of leaving yet again and this year is no exception. At the beginning of January they re-segmented and my 20Meg has been awful for nearly 7 weeks. Three times I have reported and each time network problems have been identified but it is as pointless and as futile an effort as it has always been because VM care not a jot.

Last year retentions saved me the hassle of switching all services with a pleasant sweetener but as my contract is up in a few days my feet are itching again:) I think that is very unlikely that they will change the sweetener but even at a lower price I do not think I can tolerate a 20Meg feed that is often less than 2Megs with packet loss robbing the speed from just about every hop.

I also have a Zen ADSL connection running alongside cable and although it cannot match cable speed it is pure quality and when I had a problem with it three years ago they went so far beyond the extra mile to sort the problem that it defied belief.

I doubt if VM are the worst but compared to Zen they are truly awful. There is no point in anybody posting I have been with VM for XX and have never had a problem because it when inevitable problems occur that the nature of the beast is revealed.

Jabbs
22-02-2009, 10:32
My mate has been on cable for 6 years and lives near me and he has never had speed issues the same as me, if you live in a good are its a fantastic service, if you don't there is only 1 thing you can do and that's move onto another provider.

Before we moved here we came from adsl max, i tried bt, zen, ukfsn and they were terrible, but as with cable was down to the area you live in.

Kursk
22-02-2009, 18:36
I can only say that my service has been rock solid apart from a few blips that were sorted out quickly.

I regard being in a cabled area as very fortunate and if you can get cable, I would definitely have it. Sorry to hear of the OP's problems but I'm sure you will be sorted by VM.

huyi
22-02-2009, 18:49

well said, i agree with every word you have said, thats why i will be leaving them as soon as i move out of my flat, i've had enough.

The PIT
22-02-2009, 19:41
They survive because they retain customers, customers stay in the main because the service is good and reliable. Where there is competition it either isn't as good, or they can't be bothered.

or stay because they're stuck with a one year contract and can't be bothered with the rigmarole of proofing that Virgin have broken the contract and not the other way round.

Thankfully I've ukonline broadband as well which is faster more reliable than cable which says it all really.

xocemp
22-02-2009, 19:43
Never had a huge problem with them but then again I don't online game; I have a life.
I don't download a huge amount and I can wait as long as it takes to get to me, more so if its one of those popular 'Linux ISO's' *cough* that I'm getting for free.
If my Internet should go down for a RF related issue I'll soon have a tech out to fix the issue, if its a network related issue I'll ride it by amusing myself with a book.

I recall 56k and ADSL providers being much worse than my current cable connection.

Traduk
23-02-2009, 00:48
We all get different levels of service dependent on location and for most of last year I could have joined the chorus of it's great but on the day everybody returned after Christmas I had two IP changes and rubbish thereafter.

Three reports, three comprehensive line checks (no problems) and escalated network problems and Nada, zip, nothing.

This is what a wonderful 20Meg connection looks like at 12.18 AM. It will be full speed again tomorrow morning when somebody re-boots the kit. I know that this speed test is not the best but it should be very much higher than I am seeing albeit others are also showing crippled speed.

11 days left of my contract and the annual pricing of Sky services is under way. If VM insist on wrecking my internet access I can get the speeds they fob me off with for no cost from Sky as opposed to £37. My local exchange is LLU for just about everybody and the grand a year I spend with VM may well be better used elsewhere.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 00:18:12 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 3954 ms = 259 KB/sec, approx 2134 Kbps, 2.08 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 3229 ms = 317.1 KB/sec, approx 2613 Kbps, 2.55 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 4610 ms = 222.1 KB/sec, approx 1830 Kbps, 1.79 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 8612 ms = 237.8 KB/sec, approx 1959 Kbps, 1.91 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 2134 Kbps, 2.08 Mbps

To repeat this test from the source server click here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.marsden/newspeedtest.html?1235348313630).

Rik
24-02-2009, 23:14
I have 20Mb currently and have always had the top tier, and I can honestly say hand on heart that NTL/VM has been the best ISP I have ever had in my ten years of broadband.

Excellent speeds and rock solid connection.

Now wheres my 50Mb??? ;)

KungFuKitty
25-02-2009, 01:20
As the above poster has said, 20mb BB and always had the top tier... but! I couldn't agree more with you. It's been lousy for me since the Telewest > Virgin switch. My connection is always erratic, i've tweaked everything best i can but to no use. VM is awful, hopefully a better ISP will step up in my area.
- KFK