PDA

View Full Version : Unsubscription

crashouille
13-02-2009, 16:11
Hi all,

I would have some questions regarding the unsubscription process. I subscribed to a broadband access few months ago and as I have to leave UK at the end of March, I will send a 30-day notice to cancel my contract. However, I asked them where I had to send back the hardware I've been provided. They told me that I didn't have to send back anything. I'm currently using the WiFi router and the modem-cable provided at the beginning of my contract and I thought I was renting it, but they told me I could keep it.

Does it make sense ? Does anyone know anything about that ?

Thank you for your answers.

danielf
13-02-2009, 16:27
Are you sure you're not tied into a 12 month contract?

crashouille
13-02-2009, 16:32
Indeed, I am. I will have to pay an extra month (I've been using my services for 11 months) but I'm aware of that ;)

You can cancel your 12-month contract anytime with a 30-day written notice but you have to pay for the months left :).

danielf
13-02-2009, 16:39
Indeed, I am. I will have to pay an extra month (I've been using my services for 11 months) but I'm aware of that ;)

You can cancel your 12-month contract anytime with a 30-day written notice but you have to pay for the months left :).

OK. Good. I just thought I'd point it out in case you weren't aware. I don't know what the current situation with the router is, but if they told you you can keep it, I would do that (or bin it). Unless someone knows otherwise that is...

BenMcr
13-02-2009, 17:44
They don't ask for the router back (at the moment), but officially it's still not yours so you can't sell it

Noggo
13-02-2009, 20:51
I wouldn't leave the cable modem in the property, just in case the MAC address doesn't get removed from Virgin Media's network (so it still may work after your contract ends). If it was me and they definitely didn’t want it back, I'd put a hammer through it and dispose of it at the local council tip in the electronic recycling skip.

As for the router, if you aren’t going to take it with you my address is.... only joking. Give it away to a neighbour, if you know any with a Virgin Media connection or if you don’t know any with a VM connection post your town or first four digits of your postcode and may be someone here is local to you wants it. It seams a waste to recycle or throw away if it’s still working.

broadbandking
14-02-2009, 12:30
The only equipment that Virgin will collect are STB's, the router will not be any use to anyone else because of the Virgin firmware nor would the modem as the mac address has to be assign to the account if you leave the equipment at the prperty or dispose of it in a envior way then you would be fine they wont ask for them back

Noggo
14-02-2009, 14:36
The router could be used on another VM cable connection or have they stopped you doing that too. You could always test new firmware on it and if you brick it, you've lost nothing apart from a bit of your time.

broadbandking
14-02-2009, 14:57
The router could be used on another VM cable connection or have they stopped you doing that too. You could always test new firmware on it and if you brick it, you've lost nothing apart from a bit of your time.

If you try and change the firmware on the VM router you surely will brick it