PDA

View Full Version : Connection down

dajone
13-02-2009, 09:12
My internet connection was down last night(Uddingston area) between 02.10am and 05.30 am(switched modem of and on again but no change) also V+ box was playing up(online light was flashing constantly)checked tech stuff and DHCP Status Value said return path off( now on ).. SNR was off( now on )...return power 36 .0dBmV (now42.0dBmV) and a log of DOCSIS DHCP offer timeout then a code (8847).Checked VM's service status and no problems reported.

Internet connection and V+ both working fine now just wanted to know if anyone had an idea what happened.:(

PS. I work nightshift so when not working this is time i use internet and V+

moaningmags
13-02-2009, 11:21
I'm in Uddi too.
I called into tech support, the indian agent impressed me at the start of the call, he listened to what I said and took it from there.
Then came the get out clause, he said low SNR on my UBR was causing the problem.
I told him low snr doesn't cause a no upstream lock on my modem nor does it cause a total loss of television too.
Given that I work there, you would think he would have listened.
In 8 years with Telewest, I think we had maybe 2 or 3 losses of service in that period.
The first 2 years with VM have been good, but now we've had 2 total loss of services and an snr issue in the space of 2 weeks.

Peter_
13-02-2009, 11:35
I'm in Uddi too.
I called into tech support, the indian agent impressed me at the start of the call, he listened to what I said and took it from there.
Then came the get out clause, he said low SNR on my UBR was causing the problem.
I told him low snr doesn't cause a no upstream lock on my modem nor does it cause a total loss of television too.
Given that I work there, you would think he would have listened.
In 8 years with Telewest, I think we had maybe 2 or 3 losses of service in that period.
The first 2 years with VM have been good, but now we've had 2 total loss of services and an snr issue in the space of 2 weeks.

But what you say does not fit in with his script:D

Has your uBR been upgraded to 50Mb yet as maybe that could possibly be causing this issue.

Nedkelly
13-02-2009, 11:59
As Moldova has siad it could be work going on in the headend for 50 meg or a reseg .When this is done the reverse is turned off :)

moaningmags
13-02-2009, 12:12
Thanks Ned, just checked with newsgroup support and my ubr isn't 50meg enabled yet. But as you say it could be prep work for 50meg.
Unusual to get a reseg though as we have no utilisation issues on my ubr.
Would help if they put it on the status or maintenance page though.

dajone
13-02-2009, 16:04
Post code check says

Great news! 50Mb broadband is available where you live :erm::erm:

I am ubr19.uddi.blueyonder.co.uk (G72)

moaningmags
13-02-2009, 17:45
Post code check says

Great news! 50Mb broadband is available where you live :erm::erm:

I am ubr19.uddi.blueyonder.co.uk (G72)

Selfcare tells me the same thing, I'm on ubr01uddi.
I'll go with what 2nd line have said.

Ignitionnet
13-02-2009, 19:51
Thanks Ned, just checked with newsgroup support and my ubr isn't 50meg enabled yet. But as you say it could be prep work for 50meg.
Unusual to get a reseg though as we have no utilisation issues on my ubr.
Would help if they put it on the status or maintenance page though.

There are some replacements of FPMs and RPMs going on which would cause loss of service to some nodes when they were being done and cut over.

50Mbit in itself won't cause losses of service, the above FPM / RPM cutover work will.

dajone
14-02-2009, 07:12
Thanks for the replies

I'll go with what 2nd line have said as well ;);)