PDA

View Full Version : New modem installed, now no internet

AlabasterLyn
12-02-2009, 12:36
I posted last week about my son upgrading to a bundle and the fact that it meant him having his old Pace box replaced with a new set top box and separate modem.

The engineer has done the installation today and although my son now has his L package on his TV, he has no internet. I had to install my own new modem yesterday and suggested that like me he phone TS to give them the MAC number of the new modem and see if that helped. TS kept him on the phone for awhile doing the usual rebooting etc., but still no internet. Now they have told him to "wait a few hours for the new IP to work". I'm not sure if he is just being fobbed off. He needs his internet connection for working from home, so it's a bit of a pain. Just wondered if this sounds normal.

moaningmags
12-02-2009, 15:21
Nope it doesn't sound normal, unless there's an issue with the system sending the signal to his modem. Sometimes there can be a delay resulting in the 'please wait a few hours'.
I'd call back and ask exactly what the issue is, is his Sync and Rdy light flashing or solid?

AlabasterLyn
12-02-2009, 15:42
Well he says the Sync and Ready lights are solid, but he still has no internet. I had assumed they were replacing his old Pace set top box but it seems they have left that and just installed a new modem to run alongside it. I doubt that is causing the problem though and I'm a bit lost. I have told him to phone TS again but right now I feel bad for him as he really does need his internet to do his work and I feel I've encouraged him to upgrade his package and now he's got himself all in a mess with it :confused:

MovedGoalPosts
12-02-2009, 15:48
TS should be migrating the STB based broadband account to the modem account.

Presumably he has done the basics of rebooting the modem when he swapped his computer from STB to modem connection, and rebooted the PC too. His PC is set to get it's IP automatically on the network card?

AlabasterLyn
12-02-2009, 16:38
Well his internet finally came on after he phoned TS again. However when he checked his internet speed it was still only 2Mb and he was sure he was offered a bundle that included 10Mb, after all why would they need to install a new modem if his existing Pace box was capable of providing Size L TV and also 2Mb internet? In the end I had to phone CS and argue about their bundles for ages until I got a total price of £35.95 for the 10Mb internet, TV large and phone XL which is on a par with what I pay.

The Installer
12-02-2009, 22:56
His old Pace box would never have given him 2meg, they are only able to give you 1meg thats all.

AlabasterLyn
13-02-2009, 11:50
His old Pace box would never have given him 2meg, they are only able to give you 1meg thats all.

Well if I hadn't gone round there and checked it myself with the Speed Test link on here I would never have believed it either, but it was running at 1.9Mb.

moaningmags
13-02-2009, 11:51
Ex-Ntl set top boxes could give more than 1meg, Telewest boxes were 1meg only.

AlabasterLyn
13-02-2009, 15:14
Ex-Ntl set top boxes could give more than 1meg, Telewest boxes were 1meg only.

That would explain it then as we are in an ex NTL area :)