PDA

View Full Version : Moving my 50meg virgin media modem

mayrp2001
11-02-2009, 13:21
Hi i recently got the virgin media 50 meg broadband installed, costs 30 pound to get installed but im not happy with where they put the modem and when i asked to have it moved they now want 99 pound just to come out and add some extra cable. I'm going to do it myself i was just wondering does anyone know the type of cable I need for the extension.

Slainte
Ryan

BenMcr
11-02-2009, 14:15
For 50Mbit I wouldn't risk it. The wrong co-ax cable and you could kill the connection

Phone back customer services and ask to log an install complaint. It should go to the area manager and they may do it for free.

P.S NEVER let a tech leave if you are not happy with where they have put stuff!

kingabs
11-02-2009, 14:58
i used webro wf100 which i think is the best stuff in coax

mayrp2001
11-02-2009, 15:06
Thanks for all the replies
Slainte
Ryan

broadbandking
11-02-2009, 19:55
Just to let you know if you do it yourself and damage the connection Virgin will charge you £99.00 to fix it

Peter_
11-02-2009, 21:37
Hi i recently got the virgin media 50 meg broadband installed, costs 30 pound to get installed but im not happy with where they put the modem and when i asked to have it moved they now want 99 pound just to come out and add some extra cable. I'm going to do it myself i was just wondering does anyone know the type of cable I need for the extension.

Slainte
Ryan
If you do attempt to move the modem yourself you may not just kill your connection but cause problems for other users on your connection which could lead to you being blacklisted.

Ask for the free router instead or do as Ben says and complain.

Ignitionnet
11-02-2009, 22:06
For 50Mbit I wouldn't risk it. The wrong co-ax cable and you could kill the connection

Phone back customer services and ask to log an install complaint. It should go to the area manager and they may do it for free.

P.S NEVER let a tech leave if you are not happy with where they have put stuff!

50Mbit isn't much more sensitive than the existing EuroDOCSIS stuff and less sensitive overall than V+ DTV Ben. It's just 3 - 4 digital channels in a 32MHz block, can't be compared with the 3-figures MHz of 64QAM channels that DTV has to deal with and the upstreams they operate on are the same as the STBs use the same CMTS for their MCNS (DOCSIS) lock.

A service that shows a >33dB SNR at 331MHz will likely be fine for 50Mbit.

Bloody acronyms.

mayrp2001
11-02-2009, 23:15
All i want to do is to extend the broadband cable that is already coming into the house. I rang the virgin technician personally as he left me his number incase of any problems and he said i should use RG6 cable as thats what they use. Am i in any danger by just extending the cable thats is already into the house.
Slainte
Ryan

The Installer
11-02-2009, 23:51
Just get some satellite cable and a couple of F connectors and extend the cable yourself, just take care when making your connectors to makesure the inner and outer of the coax are not shorting etc.

If it doesn't work then put it back as it was and have a little look on ebay for some custom made lengths of the correct cable with connectors already fitted for you :)

Alternatively pay £99 for a tech to come out and do it for you.

Aser
12-02-2009, 14:06
WF100 cable is what I use too, its actually better quality than the cable virgin uses themselves.

The only thing I'd say is make sure you get proper compression F connectors or crimp-on F connectors. The cheap twist on connectors are rubbish.

mathiaskt
12-02-2009, 14:56
I have extended the 20M in my house myself and I didn't have to terminate the cable as I bough it already terminated from ebay.

mayrp2001
13-02-2009, 13:14
just thought id let people know i moved the modem no problem, still working
thanks for all the help
slainte
Ryan

adam1942
28-04-2009, 13:06
hi there,

how did you get 50meg in belfast? everytime i check the virgin website it says its unavilable.

cheers adam.