PDA

View Full Version : 50mb bradband droping to 2.5mb at 9pm

leexgx
10-02-2009, 22:19
50mb bradband droping to 2.5mb at 9pm
as to topic apply very strange it has done this to me 2 times now first time i do not know what time it did it but it did it second time i was useing news server flat lineing me 50mb bb (6MB/s nice) but when it hit 9pm dot on speed droped to 2.5mb (256KB/s aprox) 2-3 connections of the 20 that was running got network errors or time outs and only way in the end to cida fix it was to plug it into my pc to get full speed but when i pluged the router back in (i understand the power reset on router modem) i was still getting 2.5mb (250KB) when i cloned my mac address of my pc to the routers wan port and power reset me cable modem i was getting better speed of around 40-45mb (around 5MB/s +/- 500KB/s) agane very anoying as an download went to 1 day left when that happened

at first it seemed useing the QOS on the netgear router was doing it as i was allways getting 3MB/s that seem to of fixed it as i was getting above 5MB/s when it was turned off (netgear need to be told we need to be able to set QOS limiter to above 1000kb/s or alow dots in the mb/s option of the WNR2000 router as the cable modem has 1.3-1.5mb/s upload or 130-150KB/s aprox not tested it yet not at home to do the test)

i test little more as long as i can get in before 9pm

zaax
10-02-2009, 23:43
thats the new cqap

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/trafficTrial.html

leexgx
11-02-2009, 00:11
i have edited my post so that 50mb in there now in the post not ust in the topic the limiter should not affect 50mb bb users a this time (XXL users)

when i change my ip/MAC speed comes back mostly (around ish 45mb/5MB's) read the post i have done

cant edit my first post agane intresting

any one who is useing the 50mb service with the WNR2000 router and the USB n wireless netgear that comes with it you must use WPA2 to get full speed over wireless
make sure router is set to 300mb on the wireless and the router has been upgraded as well
pc to pc > 3-4MB/s on WEP or WPA1, 6-9MB/s when using WPA2, best option is to use WPA 1 and 2 option so if something does not work with WPA2 you can always put the settings in for WPA,TKIP) make sure QoS is off (default) as well as that seems to degrade performance some times (WMM can be left on)

Stabhappy
11-02-2009, 01:05
QoS is a very useful tool. Maybe members of the board should instead of switching it off, learn how it may benefit them especially when there is more than 1 machine/user on the network.

leexgx
11-02-2009, 01:25
tryed it but seem to keep my broadband around 3MB/s (35mb?) CPU on the router prob still not very fast or just cant handle p2p, giga bit routers should be when they come down in price as thay need an better cpu to handle the traffic

it did work very well when it was turned on tho as web sites worked well even thought i was downloading but my download was not been fully maxed out so that was more likey,

i used to use an router pc software called IPcop.org that one worked Very well i could set the throttler to 5KB under my upload limit and it keep it pegged at 75KB/s (or what ever it is on the for 756kb upload less 5KB from my allowed upload bandwidth) that was utorrent and emule set to 200KB/s upload each i could still use the Internet like nothing was going on, only killer in the end that made me go back to an norm router was No uPnp support as its classed as an security risk (well it is) so they refuse to add it to it and just simply put an big warning on it would of been quiet simple, but i could no longer do remote support with MSN had

Stabhappy
11-02-2009, 01:39
Have you done a proper QoS test? For example giving NNTP lower priority, HTTP higher priority, absolutley cap the connection and try web browsing and/or video streaming

leexgx
11-02-2009, 01:49
for the 20mb or lower users the QoS throttler is pointless due to the throttling VM does as most router are lucky to even have an limiter never mind an Timed limiter in place

i did do that but NNTP is download so should not affect upload for QoS as thats what the QoS is working on

i need to go home as this house has 20mb bb so cant test QoS here its the 50mb droping to 2.5mb problem that needs fixing MAC change resoves the problem but not sure if the new MAC i have used has throttled me as i need to do it before 9PM to see if the same cut off happens (its like its putting me on 10mb throttler limiter setting ?) as its dead on 250KB (+/- 5KB)

Kymmy
11-02-2009, 08:54
thats the new cqap

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/trafficTrial.html

How can a new cap on M,L and XL broadband ONLY being trialed in Preston effect someone miles away and on XXL ???