PDA

View Full Version : Dam virgin media!

kevthegr8
10-02-2009, 17:51
Hey,
I am just new to the board.... just wanting to share my experience with you guys! I have been with Virgin Media for 1 month and using there National Service!
Well i was receiving slow speeds from them, so i dedicated to call them thinking it was a fault and i was told i am on the "cap" list. Due to downloading things between 4.00pm & Midnight i was went over the fair usage policy, which i have been told its 5GB a week. For one this is very low, i am at college between 9 and 3, so the only time i get on is 4 to 12, i can be a heavy downloader at times yes, but let me post you the speeds i am getting and tell me what you think.

The package i am on is,
Up to 8mb
Unlimited Downloads

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/27.png

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/28.png

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/29.png

They have told me there is nothing they can do, i just have to watch my timing when downloading!! This a pure SCAM! I am so furious, i have never had slow speed like this from any other Broadband provider!! I debating to contact OfCom about it, what you all think?

Regards
Kevin

on in an hour!
10-02-2009, 17:54
Hey,
I am just new to the board.... just wanting to share my experience with you guys! I have been with Virgin Media for 1 month and using there National Service!
Well i was receiving slow speeds from them, so i dedicated to call them thinking it was a fault and i was told i am on the "cap" list. Due to downloading things between 4.00pm & Midnight i was went over the fair usage policy, which i have been told its 5GB a week. For one this is very low, i am at college between 9 and 3, so the only time i get on is 4 to 12, i can be a heavy downloader at times yes, but let me post you the speeds i am getting and tell me what you think.

The package i am on is,
Up to 8mb
Unlimited Downloads

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/27.png

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/28.png

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/29.png

They have told me there is nothing they can do, i just have to watch my timing when downloading!! This a pure SCAM! I am so furious, i have never had slow speed like this from any other Broadband provider!! I debating to contact OfCom about it, what you all think?

Regards
Kevin

think yourself lucky kev,some on-net 20meg subs arent gettin those speeds!! :D :D :D

Chris
10-02-2009, 18:06

Regards
Kevin

Don't waste your time complaining to Ofcom; they won't do anything about it. Nor should they. The bandwidth throttling ('traffic management') is a well known aspect of VM's service, and they don't hide the fact they do it. It's on their website with a large and unapologetic explanation of why they do it.

If you don't like it, or you simply find its not compatible with the way you like to use the internet, then there are other ADSL providers out there to choose from. It's not as if you have the promise of mega-fast 20Mb or 50Mb cable broadband to persuade you it's worth sticking with Virgin despite the throttling, which is the case with some other members of this forum.

Anyway, at 5GB per week you can't possibly download and watch everything you click on between 4pm and midnight, even when you're not being throttled. Why aren't you scheduling your downloads for off-peak times?

I can only guess at what you're doing with your internet connection to be hitting that sort of download rate. I've never been put into traffic management and I regularly use a Torrent application to grab TV shows I missed. Maybe you're the reason why my own Virgin ADSL connection speed drops off a cliff every evening of the week, eh? :dozey:

kevthegr8
10-02-2009, 18:12
No one should have to schedule around Virgin Media, I have paid for a service which i should receive regardless.
I have used over 3 different other broadband suppliers and never received this level of speed, its nearly the speed of Dial Up. I think VM need to get a grip on the Internet, if they cant handle people downloading between 4-12 they should cap new customers signing up, they are biting off more than they can chew! In my opinion is disgusting they cant supply what there site says!

Chris
10-02-2009, 18:16
Incidentally, my most recent results:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/26.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I'm about 4 miles from my exchange, on the 'up to 8meg' service, and my max. speed is locked on at 3328 down, 448 up, so at the moment I'm getting about two-thirds of what my line is reckoned to be capable of. The rest of it is being hoovered up by bandwidth leeches who aren't being reined in by VM's traffic management policy yet. ;) :D

Kymmy
No one should have to schedule around Virgin Media, I have paid for a service which i should receive regardless. !

Actually you paid for a service that has STM quite openly in it's terms & conditions when you signed up for it. And that's exactly what you got..

Chris
No one should have to schedule around Virgin Media, I have paid for a service which i should receive regardless.
I have used over 3 different other broadband suppliers and never received this level of speed, its nearly the speed of Dial Up. I think VM need to get a grip on the Internet, if they cant handle people downloading between 4-12 they should cap new customers signing up, they are biting off more than they can chew! In my opinion is disgusting they cant supply what there site says!

Err yes you should schedule around them, because you are getting exactly what you paid them for - a service that throttles your download speed if you exceed a well-publicised maximum.

You never received this level of speed from your other providers most likely because they either don't have a similar throttling policy or else you didn't breach it, whatever it was. The speed you're getting is not indicative of the sorts of speeds VM normally delivers over ADSL, it's indicative that you have breached your bandwidth limit.

kevthegr8
10-02-2009, 18:18
The T&C does NOT state how much they cap you by, they have told me i have been capped to 1/2 Meg.
If i knew that i wouldn't have went went them....

Chris
10-02-2009, 18:25
The T&C does NOT state how much they cap you by, they have told me i have been capped to 1/2 Meg.
If i knew that i wouldn't have went went them....

Here it is from the horse's mouth:

http://www.virgin.net/helpme/broadband/faq/basics_traffic.html

In a nutshell, if you're in the top 5% of downloaders as that page suggests, then you are downloading a *hell* of a lot of data during peak hours and frankly I'm glad they're throttling your connection so there's some left for the rest of us.

kevthegr8
10-02-2009, 18:32
Here it is from the horse's mouth:

http://www.virgin.net/helpme/broadband/faq/basics_traffic.html

In a nutshell, if you're in the top 5% of downloaders as that page suggests, then you are downloading a *hell* of a lot of data during peak hours and frankly I'm glad they're throttling your connection so there's some left for the rest of us.

Do you actually work for VM, my goodness you should get a room!

Its not my fault other people dont download, i have a right like everyone else to download what i want where i want.

Chris
10-02-2009, 18:35
Do you actually work for VM, my goodness you should get a room!

How imaginative.

Its not my fault other people dont download, i have a right like everyone else to download what i want where i want.

No, you don't. You have a right to get what you have paid for. And that's exactly what you are getting.

kevthegr8
10-02-2009, 18:37
I disagree

Kymmy
10-02-2009, 18:39

Actually you have a right to download what the ISP says you can download in your contract.. If you feel that's wrong then buy yourself out of the contract and go elsewhere or if you do want the right to download what you want when you want and where you want then go and start up your own ISP..

Now what I will say is that your download should be at 512Kb minimum so perhaps you're arguing about the wrong thing and instead the problem is congestion.. (in that case read up about contention)

Russ
10-02-2009, 18:41

To be fair, if everyone downloaded everything they wanted then most ISP connections would fall over. Some people are heavy downloaders, others aren't. We have to make room for everyone. If VM's structure can't handle levels that you feel are acceptable then perhaps an email to them would be in order to register your protest?

alferret
10-02-2009, 21:45

LOL not really, you dont have rights. Welcome to VM.

Chris
11-02-2009, 10:15
I disagree

Well yes, obviously you do, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion ... ;)

I'm curious about a couple of things.

1. Why did you switch from a different ADSL provider to Virgin Media? Was it cost, reliability, speed, something else?
2. Why do you think you should be able to download what you want, when you want, when you have signed (and therefore agreed to) a contract that doesn't allow you to do that?
3. What do you mean by 'I have the right'? Do you mean you think the service you're paying for should allow you this, or are you maybe claiming that unlimited downloads is some sort of human rights issue?

Sorry, that was three things, not a couple ... :)