PDA

View Full Version : Belkin N Router Error - Possibly?

Andy17x
09-02-2009, 18:11
Two weeks ago I have an Engineer come out and replace my old ntl:home 200 modem with an Ambit 256 due to every morning around 1am I would lose internet connection (ready light would go out).

Upon replacing this everything has been great until today, work up early and found the Internet light on my router (Belkin N) was flashing orange, I thought this was due to engineering works, and thought a rest of the modem and router would fix it, it did, eventually after several attempts however was getting really slow speeds (500kb/s on 10MB package), arrived home from work and same problems, Internet light on router flashing.

Tried several resets but can not get it to work without the Modem or Internet light on the router flashing and the ready light on the modem going out! When I plug the ethernet into my Mac, reset then I can get a connection.

I called tech support and they arranged an engineer later this week due to me not being able to get anything other than a blinking sync light (I later got it working without the router!)

However when I remove the ethernet cable from my Mac to ready light goes off asap, and same when trying to use via router.

Any ideas.

I reset the router but no luck.

Andy17x
09-02-2009, 23:42
Any help would be great. When I plug the router in (even in a total different plug extension) the ready light will go off, when I unplug the router the ready light will come back on again!

[EDIT:I run 2 4-port extensions from one plug, it didn't matter if router was connected to modem or not, if power was running to router modem cut out.

I moved router to other end of room (and used long ethernet cable), modem didn't cut out when router powered up and now seems to be working!]

Noggo
10-02-2009, 00:10
Are you unpluging / pluging in network cables while the equipment is switched on?

Turn off everything and connect up all the cables as you had before.
reboot cable modem, wait for it to sycn
reboot router, wait (fingers crossed it will talk to CM)
then reboot all computers on network.

If you're reset the router, have you re-run the setup assistant or have you saved a copy of the working router config, so you can re-install to a known working configuration.

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:05 ----------

Note: As it seams to work with direct MAC to cable modem connection, I would ask a forum Mod to move the thread to the networking section here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/

*sloman*
10-02-2009, 11:56
is this a Belkin N1?

Andy17x
10-02-2009, 16:29
is this a Belkin N1?

No, Belkin N

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/74.jpg

leexgx
10-02-2009, 21:35
seems like an power issue you had with the cable modem (has it been fixed, the ready light going off? as second post seems to look like it was fixed with th edit)

could be that the cable modem is not likeing power spikes on the line or when power company switches grids , use an belkin surge protector (seem to be the best), get ones with green light {protection working if its not lit you need to replace it} and red power light as they have lightening suppressor on them and can filter out spikes, best to norm use surge protected on every thing that is pluged in apart from heavy duty or sudden loads like hovers, heaters as they shorten the life of the protector quite fast

---- other but you may have all ready done the below ----
as its an belkin router make sure the router is upto date more so if you have the first ver of the router as that not had official update for more then 1-2 years

if you have ver 1 of that router go here
http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/article/?lid=enu&pid=F5D8233uk4&aid=9238&scid=0

if you have ver 3 or 4 you have to use norm updates for the router
http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/article/?lid=enu&pid=F5D8233uk4&aid=10288&scid=0

download the file to desktop and unpack the update make sure your using an wired computer and log onto the router and do the update it

(came on here just to ask about 50mb bb i have :) i post an new topic for that)