PDA

View Full Version : freeview / freesat

treerat
09-02-2009, 17:31
Newbie so Hi Everyone.
I've read few posts and still confused.....thats not hard for me......

Situation: I have sky+ in room1 (for the sport), just want bbc1,2 itv and 4 in another room (Room2). The signal from any aerial here is useless.

Have digital tv in room2 at moment on an aerial, cannot get itv, 4, or 5, most channels breakup. I believe its just a standard freeview tv, do not really understand freesat tv's.

Whats my cheapest option to just watch the basic channels in room2 but a different channel from the sky channel on in room1.
Can I run a cable from either of the spare connectors on the quad sky LNB directly to the DTV in room2.

Or do I need a special quad LNB i.e like the kit in argos
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5150735/Trail/searchtext%3ESKY.htm
and/or do I need a DTV with freesat not freeview?

Please Help.
Thanks

Chris
09-02-2009, 18:00
:welcome: to the forum.

You can connect another cable to one of the spare connectors on the quad-LNB. However you cannot connect that cable directly to a Freeview-enabled TV set. You need to connect the cable to a Freesat set-top box first, and connect that to your Freeview-enabled TV. You can get a basic Freesat STB for about £40, or spend anything from that all the way up to a HD-PVR (equivalent to Sky+HD, except with out subscription channels) for about £295.

If you want to avoid buying another set-top box and wish to make use of your spare TV's ability to receive Freeview, then you would need to mount a decent high-gain roof aerial in order to overcome the poor reception in your local area.

I would not recommend buying an integrated Freesat TV for use in your spare room, because at the moment only Panasonic is making them and while they are great quality sets, they are also quite expensive (starting at about £620 for a 32" LCD version). Which is overkill for a second telly, unless money is no object at all ...

treerat
09-02-2009, 20:12
Thank you kindly for your detailed reply and welcome Chris.....now I get it.

Thanks Again;)