PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on VIP package upgraded to 50Mb

bigdavep
09-02-2009, 16:12
As title, Thinking of upgrading to 50mb but was wondering how much extra it's likely to cost on top of the £85 I already pay on the VIP package. I know I'd only have to ring them but I hate calling VM...

TA Dave

Stabhappy
09-02-2009, 17:16
VIP gets the upgrade for £10 a month.

bigdavep
09-02-2009, 17:32
cheers dude :-)

broadbandking
09-02-2009, 17:51
You will be happy with it a I normally get good speeds just wish the up load was higher

EssDee
09-02-2009, 21:48
VIP gets the upgrade for £10 a month.

However there is apparently a one off charge of £80 as well (£50 activation fee plus £30 installation charge). Puts a bit of a dampener on it unfortunately :td:

Peter_
10-02-2009, 06:43
However there is apparently a one off charge of £80 as well (£50 activation fee plus £30 installation charge). Puts a bit of a dampener on it unfortunately :td:
Everyone gets charged £80 for the 50Mb installation.

broadbandking
10-02-2009, 11:37

The £80 covers the engineer setting everything up for you and dont forget you get a brand wireless N router WNR2000 is model and you also get a adaptor which is worth over £100 so the £80 is just a one off.

ntluser
11-02-2009, 07:15
The £80 covers the engineer setting everything up for you and dont forget you get a brand wireless N router WNR2000 is model and you also get a adaptor which is worth over £100 so the £80 is just a one off.

What happens if you already have a wireless N router?

I have an Airport Extreme which connects both our PC laptops and Mac laptops at great speeds because we use both types. Does the WNR 2000 router do both? If it doesn't would I be entitled to refuse it?

What is the adaptor used for please?

Peter_
11-02-2009, 07:24
What happens if you already have a wireless N router?

I have an Airport Extreme which connects both our PC laptops and Mac laptops at great speeds because we use both types. Does the WNR 2000 router do both? If it doesn't would I be entitled to refuse it?

What is the adaptor used for please?
Why refuse the router as it is free of charge and the the adaptor is a wireless dongle for non wireless enabled computers.

ntluser
11-02-2009, 07:36
Why refuse the router as it is free of charge and the the adaptor is a wireless dongle for non wireless enabled computers.

My daughter uses a MAC laptop so a PC only router isn't much help unless the dongle ( USB?) replaces her MAC's internal wireless capability.

The Airport Extreme has been brilliant so I'd need to be convinced that any other router was better.

Peter_
11-02-2009, 07:39
My daughter uses a MAC laptop so a PC only router isn't much help unless the dongle ( USB?) replaces her MAC's internal wireless capability.

The Airport Extreme has been brilliant so I'd need to be convinced that any other router was better.
I would continue to use your Airport but accept the free router anyway, a spare is always a good thing to have,especially a free one.

ntluser
11-02-2009, 07:53
I would continue to use your Airport but accept the free router anyway, a spare is always a good thing to have,especially a free one.

Thanks for that.That's a fair point just so long as I only have to connect it when the Aiport Extreme goes down. Just wondering if the Airport Extreme would be acceptable to VM on the 50mb service.

BenMcr
11-02-2009, 09:56
It's not a PC only router. No router is. The only things that my 'PC only' are setup CDs and drivers for the USB dongle

Even the existing Wireless G router they send out can be used with a MAC - even though Virgin currently say it's PC only (due to the setup CD)

Just wondering if the Airport Extreme would be acceptable to VM on the 50mb service.They don't care what is connected to the modem, but I have no clue how well it will deal with 50Mbit

ntluser
11-02-2009, 10:09
It's not a PC only router. No router is. The only things that my 'PC only' are setup CDs and drivers for the USB dongle

Even the existing Wireless G router they send out can be used with a MAC - even though Virgin currently say it's PC only (due to the setup CD)

They don't care what is connected to the modem, but I have no clue how well it will deal with 50Mbit

Thanks for that, Ben.I'm not sure at this stage how well it will do either.

Don't really want to connect something that may not be able to work with my daughter's laptop.

I think I need to gather more info before making a decision.

Stabhappy
11-02-2009, 12:28
As Ben mentioned, there's no such thing as a 'pc only' or 'mac compatible' wireless router, so long as the router and wireless NIC meet 802.11 standards (which they will, as it's the industry default) then you'll have no problems at all. The only problem I could forsee is if you tried to use WAP2 encryption and the mac doesnt support it. But I'm unsure.

ntluser
11-02-2009, 12:37
As Ben mentioned, there's no such thing as a 'pc only' or 'mac compatible' wireless router, so long as the router and wireless NIC meet 802.11 standards (which they will, as it's the industry default) then you'll have no problems at all. The only problem I could forsee is if you tried to use WAP2 encryption and the mac doesnt support it. But I'm unsure.

Thanks for that. Airport Extreme does support WAP2 encryption as far as I know. Not sure about the MACs though, but suspect they do.

There's no rush at the moment as I am in the process of getting my computer upgraded. Be interesting to see what difference a Core2 quad processor makes!!

Stabhappy
11-02-2009, 13:16
You'll be pleasantly surprised :)

ntluser
11-02-2009, 13:27
You'll be pleasantly surprised :)

I'm sure I will. ;)

Hoping to upgrade my laptop later if it is possible but unsure if it is upgradeable.

Stabhappy
11-02-2009, 13:28
Probably not. Laptops are far too finicky anyway, if you upgrade it and the cooling isn't up to the standards the new components need then you're a bit buggered!

ollie2001
11-02-2009, 16:47
I concur, the only things you can realistically upgrade on laptops are RAM, Hard Drive and Mini-PCI device.

CPU at a push!

broadbandking
11-02-2009, 20:09
Laptops have always been for convience not upgrade but efeectivly you can upgrade anything on a laptop just the cost and compatiable issue can be too much hassle