PDA

View Full Version : Slow upload speeds on 20meg

Mr Master
08-02-2009, 19:53
Hi,

Although I'm a newly registered member, I usually check on here if there's something wrong, and usually find help. But this time around I cannot seem to.

The problem is, I've been 20meg Virgin for well over a year now, and recently my upload speed has dropped from around 720kbps, to 150kpbs. Quite recently aswell, early January ish.

I've spoken to Virgin, they say it's my antivirus, which it definitely isn't because I've had it on since I've had Virgin Broadband, and my upload speeds have been fine, and it's recently dropped so it's definitely not that.

Any help? Thanks

Peter_
08-02-2009, 20:06
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

Open a browser and in the address bar put or click the link > http://192.168.100.1/ the password and username are both root if required.

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

Ignitionnet
08-02-2009, 23:53
I'm finding slow uploads on my 20Mbit too, when I had non-VM 20Mbit from 2 other providers I had 2.5Mbit upstream now I'm down to 768k ;)

Mr Master
09-02-2009, 18:34
Hi, thanks for the quick responce, but I had gone off and could not reply.

As for the Modem. There is no sticker or anything under the modem, but all I can say is it's a Scientific Atlanta modem. This one exactly...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/28.gif

Downstream Status
Operational

Channel ID

Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz

Modulation
256QAM

Bit Rate
20480000 bits/sec

Power Level
-3.8 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio
36.3 dB

--------------------------------

Upstream Status
Operational

Channel ID

Upstream Frequency
29200000 Hz

Modulation
16QAM

Bit Rate
768000 bits/sec

Power Level
47.0 dBmV

----------

Sorry if this was not what you asked for, bit a noob when it comes to modems etc. :)

Peter_
09-02-2009, 20:14
Your power levels appear to be fine, I would advise you to call Tech Support so they can run some tests on the connection to try and find the issue, possibly oversubscription on the uBR.

Mr Master
10-02-2009, 16:15
uBR? What's that?

Mr Master
02-03-2009, 20:31
Any help?

suggsy
02-03-2009, 20:33
Your power levels appear to be fine, I would advise you to call Tech Support so they can run some tests on the connection to try and find the issue, possibly oversubscription on the uBR.

Brilliant, thanks very much for your very quick responses, but silly question, what's oversubscription? :)

moaningmags
02-03-2009, 20:33
A UBR is like a big router that your modem connects to on the network, tech support can check if this is full to capacity or if some other issue is causing your problem.

Peter_
02-03-2009, 20:34
Brilliant, thanks very much for your very quick responses, but silly question, what's oversubscription? :)
To many people on your uBR/exchange causing high traffic at peak times which can cause slow speeds.

suggsy
02-03-2009, 20:35
Ok thanks, i will phone support and let you know what they say, thanks

Peter_
02-03-2009, 20:37
Ok thanks, i will phone support and let you know what they say, thanks
Ring during the day to try and ensure a UK call centre.

suggsy
02-03-2009, 20:37
Ring during the day to try and ensure a UK call centre.

Yes good idea, thanks :)

graf_von_anonym
02-03-2009, 23:25
It's rare for oversubscription to affect upload and not download. Three questions:

How are you uploading?
Where are you uploading to?
Are your speeds affected at the same times of day, or is it constant?

suggsy
02-03-2009, 23:44
It's rare for oversubscription to affect upload and not download. Three questions:

How are you uploading?
Where are you uploading to?
Are your speeds affected at the same times of day, or is it constant?

Hi, unfortunately, at the mo i am using torrent sites and utorrent
My speeds seem to be at all times with the slow upload speed.

However, i would like sign up to maybe giganews newsgroup but need advice as to exactly how to download from it, as i hear it's full speed and not tm'd.

Thanks in advance.

graf_von_anonym
03-03-2009, 03:38
Right. So it's your uploads through the torrents that appear to be being restricted? Have you checked the settings on your torrent software? It can be limited there. Furthermore, you may be saturating your upload as other torrent users download from you. It may well be that you aren't seeing your connection at its best because other people are making use of it.

When you're experiencing the slow speeds, could you go to the command prompt and type netstat -a ? That will list every active TCP and UDP connection. Approximately how many are there?

suggsy
03-03-2009, 07:39
Right. So it's your uploads through the torrents that appear to be being restricted? Have you checked the settings on your torrent software? It can be limited there. Furthermore, you may be saturating your upload as other torrent users download from you. It may well be that you aren't seeing your connection at its best because other people are making use of it.

When you're experiencing the slow speeds, could you go to the command prompt and type netstat -a ? That will list every active TCP and UDP connection. Approximately how many are there?

The settings on utorrent i use are i set the speedguide to 20m.bit, set the download and upload to unlimited and that's about it really.

I used to upload at around 700kb/s but now it wont go faster than 70-80kb/s,
and as said before, d/l are at a max of about 500.

Next time i'm downloading i will type in netstat-a and let you know, but i really want to get away from torrents and use newsgroups, apparently they are much better, but have no idea how to start.

Thanks.

graf_von_anonym
03-03-2009, 09:48
How are you tracking the upload speed? Is this a field you're getting from your torrent client, or is this from a speed test? I'm assuming the former. It could, theoretically, be misreporting.

As for newsgroups, I'd say that google is your friend. Beyond any possible legal implications, I use USENET for conversation. Yous binaries types are sullying the good name of fair NNTP.

suggsy
03-03-2009, 10:04
How are you tracking the upload speed? Is this a field you're getting from your torrent client, or is this from a speed test? I'm assuming the former. It could, theoretically, be misreporting.

As for newsgroups, I'd say that google is your friend. Beyond any possible legal implications, I use USENET for conversation. Yous binaries types are sullying the good name of fair NNTP.

Hi, i track the upload speed using speedtest.net, and utorrent.
Thanks, i will look into newsgroups.