PDA

View Full Version : Remote Access Using A VPN Connection

dcdrac
08-02-2009, 17:34
I work for an organization that uses encrypted laptops connecting via home broadband lines over a VPN tunnel connection.

we are getting constant connection drop out issues with users who have a Virign Mideia connection.

We genrally get them to reboot the routers and 50% of the time that works however the other times it does not.

Does VM have any issues with VPN tunnels?

KingDaveRa
08-02-2009, 18:03
I'd be more inclined to blame their routers, as IPSEC (assuming you're using that) doesn't play nice with NAT by default - it usually requires support in the NAT service of the router to maintain the tunnels. Because of all the encryption, it's very stateful, and does a lot of to-ing and fro-ing to set up the connection.

The Netgear I got with my VM connection is quite frankly, a bit poo - remote assistance in MSN messenger makes it crash... I wouldn't mind betting these users are seeing their routers crash. I know for a fact a former colleague used our IPSEC VPN from home, via VM with no problems. His router was well up to date, so that probably helped. I've often seen IPSEC issues mentioned in changelogs for router firmwares.

So I'd recommend finding out which routers people are using, and which firmware revisions, then see if there's any common ground.

Another possible cause could be network congestion, and wireless issues; people tend to leave their routers on the default channels, so they all end up on 6 or 11, thus clashing and causing packet loss. Do that enough, and IPSEC gives up and goes home. An easy workaround/test is to get them to hard-wire themselves to the router to see what happens - and make sure the wireless on their laptop is turned off when they try!

Sir John Luke
08-02-2009, 18:07
I use a VPN connection from my Virgin connection (via a router) to two offices in different locations. One seems rock-solid, the other suffers from occasional drop-outs. In short, could be congestion somewhere?

dcdrac
08-02-2009, 18:40
We do use IPSEC yes and an Xcriptor box, and we also do find they ahve a tonne of other devices hanging off their routers which does nto help

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

The worst part of it is the users generally refuse to accept there is anything wrong at their end.

Peter_
08-02-2009, 20:18
VPN is unsupported so Virgin cannot offer any form of support to you apart from for the broadband connection.

dcdrac
08-02-2009, 20:23
VPN is unsupported so Virgin cannot offer any form of support to you apart from for the broadband connection.

I know i have been to users hosues checked their connections over, phoned VM tech Support and have to tell them that unless VM make changes to their setup the drop outs will likeyl continue.

That or stop having multiple devices running off their routers and extension cables running all over the place.

Mind you its better than getting there and seeing a BT Home Hub what a nightmare they are.

Peter_
08-02-2009, 20:28
I know i have been to users hosues checked their connections over, phoned VM tech Support and have to tell them that unless VM make changes to their setup the drop outs will likeyl continue.

That or stop having multiple devices running off their routers and extension cables running all over the place.
The average router can usually support 4 wired connections and up to 10 wireless connections but you should not attempt that many connections at any one time.

dcdrac
08-02-2009, 20:31
The average router can usually support 4 wired connections and up to 10 wireless connections but you should not attempt that many connections at any one time.

The key is SHOULD, we have found the reality to be very different especially with a heavily encrpyted VPN connection.

Peter_
08-02-2009, 20:35
The key is SHOULD, we have found the reality to be very different especially with a heavily encrpyted VPN connection.
Your customers will need to educated to only have the minimum of equipment connected to prevent dropping the VPN connection and that will be interesting time for you.

dcdrac
08-02-2009, 20:38
Your customers will need to educated to only have the minimum of equipment connected to prevent dropping the VPN connection and that will be interesting time for you.

You have hit the nail on the head.......:-) oh man they refuse to accept it and have raised formal complaints about all the engineers because we have tried our damndest for them and given them more than we are contracted to do and advice too.

Raistlin
08-02-2009, 21:12
Perhaps the company you work for should put their hand in their pockets and provide your users with a dedicated line and equipment set for the connection.

That way you're controlling all aspects of the connection (specifically the devices with security providing features that you're connecting to your network) and you're only having to support connections with one provider and one type of hardware.

dcdrac
08-02-2009, 21:16
Perhaps the company you work for should put their hand in their pockets and provide your users with a dedicated line and equipment set for the connection.

That way you're controlling all aspects of the connection (specifically the devices with security providing features that you're connecting to your network) and you're only having to support connections with one provider and one type of hardware.

We have suggested that too and guess what.......oh nooooo they wont ;-)

Hugh
08-02-2009, 21:22
Try pointing out that the increase in productivity (less lost downtime) will balance out any additional costs, and that problem investigation and resolution will be simpler with a dedicated line.

btw, are these people vpn'ing in from their home computers - if so, Mr Security-Breach may be visiting soon...........

dcdrac
08-02-2009, 21:23
Try pointing out that the increase in productivity (less lost downtime) will balance out any additional costs, and that problem investigation and resolution will be simpler with a dedicated line.

btw, are these people vpn'ing in from their home computers - if so, Mr Security-Breach may be visiting soon...........

We have umpteen times, they don't want to hear it and its on not on home PCs no.

Raistlin
08-02-2009, 21:38
Is this a private company, or public organisation?

dcdrac
08-02-2009, 21:40
I am not at liverty to disclose that sorry

Zhadnost
09-02-2009, 15:03
I run a VPN connection over Virgin flawlessly, it is worth noting that I did have a node on the VPN (not on VM) that used DD-WRT to connect and that was a bit flaky.

Was fixed by upgrading DD-WRT to a version pointed to me by somone in their forums.

Now that node is rock solid too.

MovedGoalPosts
09-02-2009, 15:52
I've successfully connected to my office using VPN via home router for a number of years now using a VM service, first via STB and latterly with a dedicated modem. I've also set up VPN connections for a couple of others who need to connect to the office network too. Whenever I've encountered issues it has been a router configuration / firmware fault. Indeed a version 1 Linksys WRT54GS worked fine, yet a version 5 Linksys WRT54GS wouldn't connect. I've had similar oddities with some netgear routers too, depite them all saying VPN compatible.

KingDaveRa
09-02-2009, 18:26
SSL VPN is the way forward.

I use one a lot, and it works well. I've been connected all day, and it's been fine. Even run VoIP over it!

Zhadnost
10-02-2009, 14:57
A version 1 WRT54GS and a version 5 WRT54GS are completely different beasts, so it's not that surprising. They have different hardware and run a different firmware.