PDA

View Full Version : Old Ambit 120 Modem

Clarkvcr
08-02-2009, 14:31
I've finaly persuaded Virgin that my Ambit 120 modem is getting on a bit and they are sending me out a new modem next week. Was told to connect it up, phone to register it and away we go.
Is there anything I should be aware of? If I'm sounding negative it's because of switching the old modem on and off for the last 2 years and being told it was working fine. Was driving my wife bonkers so I'm wanting a smooth changeover.
Ta.

Impz2002
08-02-2009, 14:37
you should be ok its a pretty routine thing just ring up cs and give them the new MAC address you shouldnt have any problems !

Impz

Russ
08-02-2009, 14:45
you should be ok its a pretty routine thing just ring up cs and give them the new MAC address you shouldnt have any problems !

Impz

That's it exactly. Plus you normally have to reboot it as well but once it comes back on, you're fine.

Peter_
08-02-2009, 15:28
I've finaly persuaded Virgin that my Ambit 120 modem is getting on a bit and they are sending me out a new modem next week. Was told to connect it up, phone to register it and away we go.
Is there anything I should be aware of? If I'm sounding negative it's because of switching the old modem on and off for the last 2 years and being told it was working fine. Was driving my wife bonkers so I'm wanting a smooth changeover.
Ta.
When everything is connected together the same way as your old one you will need to call Quickstart on 0800 953 9500 to get it all added to your account, before you call take a note of the HFC MAC address from the sticker on the base of the modem and it must be the account holder who calls.

adyb
08-02-2009, 18:15
I've finaly persuaded Virgin that my Ambit 120 modem is getting on a bit and they are sending me out a new modem next week.
Ta.

Who did you speak to? I've got an even older Ambit 100 that's driving me up the wall with spontaneous reboots - when I complained they blamed my P2P software. :eh:

Russ
08-02-2009, 18:17
Let me guess, you were told that by offshore tech support?

Peter_
08-02-2009, 20:12
Who did you speak to? I've got an even older Ambit 100 that's driving me up the wall with spontaneous reboots - when I complained they blamed my P2P software. :eh:
You could try posting on the Newsgroups link below shows you how to do it with Outlook Express.

---------------------------------------------------
Tech Support via Newsgroups.

virginmedia.support.broadband.cable is the one that you want to use and here is the set up link http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up-outlook-express-exntl.php

adyb
08-02-2009, 22:24
You could try posting on the Newsgroups link below shows you how to do it with Outlook Express.

Sadly it was someone from the virginmedia.support.broadband.cable newsgroup that gave me the response. :rolleyes:

I don't P2P enough to make a big deal of it, so I just decided to change my P2P software settings instead, figuring that I was flogging a dead horse.

Recently though my modem has reset itself a couple of times, even when no P2P software was running.

Peter_
08-02-2009, 22:30
Sadly it was someone from the virginmedia.support.broadband.cable newsgroup that gave me the response. :rolleyes:

I don't P2P enough to make a big deal of it, so I just decided to change my P2P software settings instead, figuring that I was flogging a dead horse.

Recently though my modem has reset itself a couple of times, even when no P2P software was running.
OK then maybe it would be an idea to try calling Tech Support and let them run some checks on your connection to see if the are any issues.

Clarkvcr
08-02-2009, 22:43
I phoned 151 and eventually got someone who tested the modem and said it was faulty. Funny thing is, it seemed to be working fine today. On previous occasions when it wasn't responding the Tech said it was fine. Anyway, I don't think I'm being too greedy after 8 years. See this previous post for more info.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33637721-old-modem.html

Clarkvcr
11-02-2009, 20:43
:) Just to say that the new modem has arrived.
It seems to be an Ambit 256?
Connected it up, 14 minute phone call to register and we're off!
So far so good.........

psmith98752
16-04-2009, 22:31
I also have an Ambit 120 modem that keeps restarting or at least I think its restarting.

When torrents are going, the whole internet stops working for around 30 seconds and then comes back again. This has been happening for probably a year and have changed routers thinking it was that. Now reading all the things about the older 120 modem, I think its that.

Just off the phone with Tech Support and the guy said he checked the modem and its working fine, its not been restarting and therefore not willing to send out a new modem.

What should I do? I know its not working properly!

Thanks!

Peter_
16-04-2009, 22:35
I also have an Ambit 120 modem that keeps restarting or at least I think its restarting.

When torrents are going, the whole internet stops working for around 30 seconds and then comes back again. This has been happening for probably a year and have changed routers thinking it was that. Now reading all the things about the older 120 modem, I think its that.

Just off the phone with Tech Support and the guy said he checked the modem and its working fine, its not been restarting and therefore not willing to send out a new modem.

What should I do? I know its not working properly!

Thanks!
Ring after 0800 tomorrow and tell again what the issue is.

psmith98752
16-04-2009, 22:46
Thanks for the reply, spoke to someone from i'm guessing India before, does calling back tomorrow morning get someone from the UK?

100meg
16-04-2009, 22:50
they have buggered alot of the 120`s up when they have been try to knock clones off

psmith98752
16-04-2009, 23:01
Fair enough but not much use when the guy on the other end of the phone comes back to say the modem hasnt been restarting and hes checked everything and its all fine!?

chickendippers
17-04-2009, 00:27
What do the lights on the modem do when your internet connection stops working?
Can you access http://192.168.100.1 at that time?

psmith98752
17-04-2009, 09:45
Just happened now and I couldnt access http://192.168.100.1/

Peter_
17-04-2009, 10:09
Just happened now and I couldnt access http://192.168.100.1/
Ring now to speak to an agent.

psmith98752
17-04-2009, 12:14
So I called and was advised to plug the modem into the computer directly instead of the router. The operator said that the modem required a reboot and now that its been done I wont have any problems again.

Somehow I'm not convinced since I have had to reboot the modem myself in the past!

Anyway at least he said if it happens again they will see about sending a new modem. So next time the internet disconnects, I'll call back.

Peter_
17-04-2009, 12:31
So I called and was advised to plug the modem into the computer directly instead of the router. The operator said that the modem required a reboot and now that its been done I wont have any problems again.

Somehow I'm not convinced since I have had to reboot the modem myself in the past!

Anyway at least he said if it happens again they will see about sending a new modem. So next time the internet disconnects, I'll call back.
Exactly just keep calling with the same issue.

Clarkvcr
17-04-2009, 19:52
Agree. That's similar to my experience. Switch on, switch off, switch on etc..........., there you are sir, it's fine now. Yes, until the next time. I kept using the fact it was eight year old and eventually got a new one.

AbyssUnderground
17-04-2009, 20:23
Turn it off, then ring up and say its dead and no lights come on. They can't refuse one then :) Been there, done it, and it was the only way to fix the problem as they said nothing was wrong otherwise. When the tech came he didn't even check, he just replaced it with a shiny 256. Never had a problem since.

psmith98752
18-04-2009, 12:03
Turn it off, then ring up and say its dead and no lights come on. They can't refuse one then :) Been there, done it, and it was the only way to fix the problem as they said nothing was wrong otherwise. When the tech came he didn't even check, he just replaced it with a shiny 256. Never had a problem since.

Now thats good thinking ;)

Does anyone know how to check how many times the modem has rebooted iteself? I know the Tech Support can check this from their end, can we see it from the configuration pages?

AbyssUnderground
18-04-2009, 12:11
The config page doesn't show the number of reboots.

djdust
18-04-2009, 12:14
I'm having the same problem with my ancient old Ambit 120 constantly rebooting over and over whenever I'm downloading or uploading too fast - if I manually throttle the speeds to something small, it stops doing it. It did this a year or so ago as well and I called Virgin and got a new modem sent - however, I didn't need to install it as the old modem started working fine again!?

However, it's doing it again now so, I guess it's time to properly install the new modem. Do I have to call Virgin or can someone tell me how to do it on here..? :)

AbyssUnderground
18-04-2009, 12:27
There should be a phone number with the modem to call when you install it. Providing the MAC is still valid (which it should be) you could just ring up and get the new one registered. Otherwise, they'll just send you another new one. :) Use the same trick as above if they say nothing is wrong, works every time.

It annoys me when they say nothing is wrong when you know it is. Its your connection, you know when its breaking down not them!

djdust
18-04-2009, 12:46
I've got no phone number to call (I think I've lost the original letter that came with it) - any idea what number to phone?

Peter_
18-04-2009, 14:00
I've got no phone number to call (I think I've lost the original letter that came with it) - any idea what number to phone?
Connect the new modem up but leave the power lead out then call 151 and they will ask for the MAC address and add it to your account and signals to the modem you will put the power lead in and wait for the Sync and Ready lights to go solid and it will be online.

Zhadnost
18-04-2009, 15:12
151 (0845 4541111 if you don't have a virgin line) Option 3, Option 1 and Option 1.

The quickstart team can also do this (0800 953 9500).

djdust
19-04-2009, 18:20
Cheers folks - new modem installed and going like a rocket!! I have an upload speed 10k faster than it was before now too.. :)

Any idea what to do with the old modem? Shall I just bin it or can it be recycled?

Zhadnost
19-04-2009, 18:25
The general consensus is to snap the F-type connector off and bin it/send to recycling centre.