PDA

View Full Version : Why not

RAY0711
07-02-2009, 16:23
Hi there ,

Can someone explain to me why my b/band is so slow when it comes down to d/loading a programme , for instance , windows defender was d/loading
at 2 meg , so i tried some other software from c-net ( download.com ) they were the same .

But the odd thing is , when i test my b/band at speedtest.net its goes straight to 10 meg , could the fact that i am using a splitter for b/band and tv so i can use both at the same time .

thanks .

Matth
07-02-2009, 17:22
If close speedtest is good, real download poor, then you may need an RWIN tweak - as an untuned Windows XP or lower is not set up to achieve full throuput on Megabit capacity paths with Internet sized delays.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/tweaks.html

Several tools exist that can do it more or less automatically.
NB. The Vista TCP/IP stack should be fully self-optimizing

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/using/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php
For the 20Mb service, Virginmedia actually suggest using the Speedguide optimizer.
NB. Some downloads work far better if timestamping is also enabled.

My theory on that is that as the RWIN is stepped up to achive the required level (it starts low on any connection, and steps up if it is not overloading), when throughput hits the limit, delay will increase a lot, and timestamping allows that to be detected quickly.

On one particular server, I always saw it, the speed would ramp and then crash without timestamping, but with timestamping it would steady up at a decent speed.

Some do not recommend timestamping, as it is a few extra bytes overhead.

The primary reason for timestamping is unlikely to be reached in practical home user setups other than satellite, as the main purpose of the setting is to prevent sequence number collisions on very high speed / high delay connections - the ability to assess delay on every ack rather than once per RWIN is a bonus.

RAY0711
08-02-2009, 21:57
Hello matth,
Thank you very much , i have become calm about the problem .
and i am looking at the links you sent me .

May you and your family prosper my friend .;):)