PDA

View Full Version : Confuddled about speeds(20Mb)

deakin
07-02-2009, 15:33
Hey folks,

Slight issue i need help with please. Every speed test i try i can only get a download speed of approx 5/6Mb.
Upload is fine at 750kbps(ish) However when using usenet i can get the full 20Mb(2400kbps)
Here is the kicker, this only happens during the day so i'm thinking too many people using the service at once ?
But if thats the case, Why am i seeing the full 20Mb from newsgroups no matter the time of day.
At about 2am i can start to download as normal.

Also try'd downloading from blueyonder/gamefiles with 3 downloads and only getting the same 5/6Mb from there.
So i know it can't be stm as i would also be stm'd on usenet too.

I'm connecting directly to the modem(virgin255) also have checked for the
usual virus/spyware ect. clean as a whistle.

Anyone any idear what is going on here ?

Thanks.

Stabhappy
07-02-2009, 15:58
chances are that during the day, a machine on the route can't sustain the speeds? Where as several connections to a source will always make much more efficient when a path is congested

Noggo
08-02-2009, 09:34
Strange one. Multiply file download from gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/ is normally a good test, as is usenet with its multiply thread download.

The only difference is the software you're using. Two things I would test out is another web browser and a download program like Go!zilla or similar. ie: if you're using Internet Explorer try Firefox or If you're using Firefox try IE and see if it's the same (long shot but worth testing).