PDA

View Full Version : Modem reset 2 days running. Problem?

stripes
07-02-2009, 09:46
Is it my kit, or the cold weather?

Yesterday morning my internet was dead, but revived on the modem turn-off/wait/turn-on procedure. Same again this morning, same result.

So, is something worse going to happen, or is the weather affecting the system?

Ta.

Allen, London

Peter_
07-02-2009, 09:48
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

Open a browser and in the address bar put or click the link > http://192.168.100.1/ the password and username are both root if required.

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

stripes
07-02-2009, 10:08
Right ho. Hope this is the info.

On the bottom of the modem it says:

Model No E08C007
Input +10VDC-----1.0A

ntl: 250.

And the link sends back this info:

Cable Modem Euro DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Mac address.*****
Serial no. *****
Boot code version 3.1.6d
Software version 2.94.1014
Hardware version 1.19

Not sure what downstream or upstream are, or where I'd find them.

Cheers.

Allen.

Peter_
07-02-2009, 10:14
When you log in to the modem you should have a menu on the left hand side what you are looking for is the Downstream link and then the Upstream link just click on them and cut and paste them as you did above.

stripes
07-02-2009, 10:25
Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 2
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 3.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.4 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 55.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

There you go.

Allen.

Peter_
07-02-2009, 11:06
Your Upstream is a little high but should not cause this problem and all other power levels look normal, are you on a wireless router at all, if so try running direct for a day if possible and see if you get the same issue.

stripes
07-02-2009, 11:25
Hello Moldova.

I am on a WIRED router, because two years ago when I got a new computer (iMac), ntl wouldn't believe that I needed my old MAC no. deleting so that my new IP and thus my new MAC no. could be detected.

They were adamant about it being 'my machine' at fault, to the point where Apple supplied me with a SECOND brand-new iMac, which also (surprise) didn't work!

Ntl still wouldn't budge, and my only choice (suggested by some Angel on this board) was to buy a wired Belkin router, input my OLD details into the Belkin, connect the modem, which would then be fooled into thinking nothing had changed. This worked.

I only tell you this tale to explain why I am so wary of turning off my router, as I wouldn't want the turning-off to be the cause of any renewed problems, which were a NIGHTMARE two years back.

Allen.

Peter_
07-02-2009, 11:34
Hello Moldova.

I am on a WIRED router, because two years ago when I got a new computer (iMac), ntl wouldn't believe that I needed my old MAC no. deleting so that my new IP and thus my new MAC no. could be detected.

They were adamant about it being 'my machine' at fault, to the point where Apple supplied me with a SECOND brand-new iMac, which also (surprise) didn't work!

Ntl still wouldn't budge, and my only choice (suggested by some Angel on this board) was to buy a wired Belkin router, input my OLD details into the Belkin, connect the modem, which would then be fooled into thinking nothing had changed. This worked.

I only tell you this tale to explain why I am so wary of turning off my router, as I wouldn't want the turning-off to be the cause of any renewed problems, which were a NIGHTMARE two years back.

Allen.
As far as I am aware NTL now work the same as Telewest were you no longer have to register a MAC address to activate your services, so you should be able to connect your IMAC direct to the modem and reboot said modem and it should then see the new MAC address and offer you another IP address.

I find it strange that you have had to spoof an old MAC address onto your router in order for it to work, any other MAC users who read this should be able to tell you that you can connect as above nowadays on NTL.

I know you will be wary to test this but your router will still have the old MAC address stored on it.

stripes
07-02-2009, 11:58
Okay Moldova, I will very warily try it. But I may be gone some time....

Allen.

stripes
07-02-2009, 15:00
So, Moldova, I warily tried it, and yes, you're right, of course, I cut out the router, and it still connected.

As there's a second computer on the circuit, I won't leave the router out permanently yet, as all the re-plugging might have sorted it anyway, but if it DOES fail again, I will try running without the router and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks v.much for all the help, which might well have pinned down the problem.

A

Peter_
07-02-2009, 15:07
So, Moldova, I warily tried it, and yes, you're right, of course, I cut out the router, and it still connected.

As there's a second computer on the circuit, I won't leave the router out permanently yet, as all the re-plugging might have sorted it anyway, but if it DOES fail again, I will try running without the router and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks v.much for all the help, which might well have pinned down the problem.

A
When you reconnect the router just remember to reboot the modem again.

How old is the router as that could be the problem.

stripes
07-02-2009, 20:38
Yes, I have the modem-router-computer restart sequence engrained in my heart after the fiasco two years ago.

The router, a Belkin, was bought new then (Feb 07), and just sits there with its lights on, no trouble before. Is there an 'adaptor'-type alternative (if it HAS clapped out)? I have the cable modem, then two fixed computers wired to the router.

A.

Peter_
07-02-2009, 22:27
Yes, I have the modem-router-computer restart sequence engrained in my heart after the fiasco two years ago.

The router, a Belkin, was bought new then (Feb 07), and just sits there with its lights on, no trouble before. Is there an 'adaptor'-type alternative (if it HAS clapped out)? I have the cable modem, then two fixed computers wired to the router.

A.
Let us know if you have any improvement connected direct.

hansi
08-02-2009, 08:17
I am having the same problem with mine. When I boot up, there is no response, but if I switch off at the mains, wait for 5 minutes and reboot, it works again. Details below:

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
MAC address : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IP address : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Downstream Receive Power Level : 4.93 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 35.33 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 41.00 dBmv

Is this ok?

Peter_
08-02-2009, 08:38
I am having the same problem with mine. When I boot up, there is no response, but if I switch off at the mains, wait for 5 minutes and reboot, it works again. Details below:

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
MAC address : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IP address : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Downstream Receive Power Level : 4.93 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 35.33 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 41.00 dBmv

Is this ok?
Your power levels look fine what model is the modem, are you connected to a router and what size package are you on.

Check which model on this link click HERE (http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4)

hansi
08-02-2009, 09:17
This is the model ntl:home Series – 100, 120, 200, I am connected via a router and I am on the 2mb package.

Peter_
08-02-2009, 09:24
This is the model ntl:home Series – 100, 120, 200, I am connected via a router and I am on the 2mb package.
Have you tried a direct connection to the modem and if that does not help ring Tech Support but maybe tomorrow unless you want offshore.