PDA

View Full Version : BB through STB cut off

marky
06-02-2009, 18:31
As the title says, a friend is paying for 2mb BB through her STB, the other day it just cut off and would only give her the NTL provision page.
A quick call to VM and they say there isnt a problem? then they got all confused about it being through the STB.
Is there any known issues with STB's being turned off ?

Cheers
Mark

MovedGoalPosts
06-02-2009, 18:57
Broadband via STB is becoming less and less common as existing customers are migrated to a SACM and new customers can only have SACM. I migrated when my connection became unstable over 14 months ago and I kept getting the provisioning page for no obvious reason. The modem has been far more reliable.

It should just be a case of getting VM to send a modem, and self install kit, as a workaround to deal with the fault. As it's a fault fix, that shouldn't cost and being self install it will be delivered and take your friend a few minutes to simply connect the splitter behind the existing STB and then phone to activate the modem.

marky
06-02-2009, 19:11
Thanks Rob, they have sent a few hits to the STB and are sending a SACM which she will get within 3 -5 working days.
I was just wondering if they had done it on purpose to force an upgrade :confused:

BenMcr
06-02-2009, 19:26
The only time it usually goes off is AFTER an upgrade if a CSR doesn't notice it's STB BB!

marky
06-02-2009, 19:36
The only time it usually goes off is AFTER an upgrade if a CSR doesn't notice it's STB BB!
I suppose its possible the STB got an upgrade and thats when it cut the net off, its still a pita when you work from home and have to be without a connection for up to 5 days.:shocked:

MovedGoalPosts
06-02-2009, 19:42
Even thought they are sending a modem (and hopefully the cable kit too), there shouldn't be a reason why they can't get bb via STB back up and running in the meantime, unless the STB itself has broke.

marky
06-02-2009, 19:56
Even thought they are sending a modem (and hopefully the cable kit too), there shouldn't be a reason why they can't get bb via STB back up and running in the meantime, unless the STB itself has broke.
You can still ping and do tracert to e.g the BBC website but it wont connect to the internet it goes to that provision page and wont except her details.
VM wouldnt even send an engineer out :erm:

Peter_
06-02-2009, 20:01
I have been told by a friend that when they accidently cut off broadband to a STB that it can no longer be reinstated due to the billing migration last year and a modem is the only fix available to you, it happened to him and he is EX-NTL.

marky
06-02-2009, 20:12
I have been told by a friend that when they accidently cut off broadband to a STB that it can no longer be reinstated due to the billing migration last year and a modem is the only fix available to you, it happened to him and he is EX-NTL.
Now that makes sense :)

Peter_
06-02-2009, 20:13
Now that makes sense :)
My friend was less than pleased but is very happy with the new modem they sent plus he can now get his 10Mb.:)

BenMcr
06-02-2009, 21:36
Not exactly true ;) - but it rarely works after it has been disconnected so usually no point in trying

If it fails when no change has been made, it definately can't be fixed

marky
11-02-2009, 20:21
The broadband in a box turned up yesterday, I wired everything in and got her to dial 151.
They couldnt hit the SACM, we triple checked the mac and still nothing, we was advised to try again in a few days :erm:
Anyway, we didnt give up and it turned out they was trying to hit an STB :rolleyes:
After about 3/4 hour on the phone and forever unplugging and plugging back in the SACM all is now well.
They really need to get there act together, first they say her account is for a SACM and thats why the STB is farked then they say the total opposite :td:

Peter_
11-02-2009, 21:34
The broadband in a box turned up yesterday, I wired everything in and got her to dial 151.
They couldnt hit the SACM, we triple checked the mac and still nothing, we was advised to try again in a few days :erm:
Anyway, we didnt give up and it turned out they was trying to hit an STB :rolleyes:
After about 3/4 hour on the phone and forever unplugging and plugging back in the SACM all is now well.
They really need to get there act together, first they say her account is for a SACM and thats why the STB is farked then they say the total opposite :td:
That is just down to training when stupid things like that happen.

marky
11-02-2009, 22:02
Or they just say what it says on the screen ;)

Peter_
11-02-2009, 22:21
Or they just say what it says on the screen ;)
The are no scripts in the UK.