03-02-2009, 21:57
Upgraded from 2 to 10 yesterday, but speed tests still give around 2mb

Tue, 03 Feb 2009 20:52:08 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 4077 ms = 251.2 KB/sec, approx 2070 Kbps, 2.02 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 4065 ms = 251.9 KB/sec, approx 2076 Kbps, 2.03 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 4059 ms = 252.3 KB/sec, approx 2079 Kbps, 2.03 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 8148 ms = 251.3 KB/sec, approx 2071 Kbps, 2.02 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 2074 Kbps, 2.03 Mbps

Phoned the help desk (call centre somewhere far away) and they said my speed was ok (I was already getting the max download speed for the L package).

Checked on-line statement and this varifys I'm paying for but not getting 10.

What should I do next, don't really see me getting any further joy at the call centres ?

Milambar
03-02-2009, 22:33
Go into your modems web interface (http://192.168.100.1 usually, username root, password root), and then find the link marked "Operational Config"

There should be a line that says something like:

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000

If it doesn't say 10240000, then for some reason, your modem didn't actually get the new configuration file for the upgrade.

stanster30
03-02-2009, 22:59
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2148000.

Guess I need to contact Virgin again

Milambar
03-02-2009, 23:01
Aye. I had exactly the same problem when I upgraded. I was fortunate however to get a UK agent on the other end of the phone, and one that actually cared and knew his job. It took us 20 minutes, but we eventually got it fixed.

Peter_
03-02-2009, 23:02
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2148000.

Guess I need to contact Virgin again
Since the upgrade have you actually rebooted the modem as otherwise it will never receive the 10Mb upgrade file.

keyholder
04-02-2009, 01:06
Since the upgrade have you actually rebooted the modem as otherwise it will never receive the 10Mb upgrade file.

If you upgraded over the fone you could of asked the guy / woman on the other end to reboot your modem for you after they had appplied the new config file for you :D.

but if u did it online, then its wise to reboot it your self as moldova states :D

Peter_
04-02-2009, 08:23
If you upgraded over the fone you could of asked the guy / woman on the other end to reboot your modem for you after they had appplied the new config file for you :D.

but if u did it online, then its wise to reboot it your self as moldova states :D
Customer Services do not have the tools to reboot the modem and it only works on EX-Telewest not EX-NTL and not on all accounts either from what I have heard.

stanster30
04-02-2009, 10:23
Re-booted loads of times, about to enter the world of customer services once more !:erm:

---------- Post added at 09:23 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

Through to UK call centre, 3 minutes later up to 9.3mB :):cool:

keyholder
04-02-2009, 11:31
all I can sugest then is when they do eventually get u on the 10 meg pack, ask for a refund from the day u should of had it :D No doubt they will come uot with saying oh it takes 24 hours etc, which is just utter rubbish.

I would advise that u stay on the fone untill u have ur 10 meg package :) i.e reboot the modem while the Operative is on the fone, & that they state that they have RE-applied the settings to your account if at all the settings were applied

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

Customer Services do not have the tools to reboot the modem and it only works on EX-Telewest not EX-NTL and not on all accounts either from what I have heard.

I dont doubt what u have heard, but thats utter crap. They have the facility to check the working status of them modem, see whats going on etc yet they cant reboot it ? . . . . .

nutellajunkie
04-02-2009, 11:56
thats a shame really, it took 2 minutes for my upgrade to happen :)

Milambar
04-02-2009, 16:12
When I upgraded, the first person I called, was in India, and said "Leave for 48hours before reporting as fault."

So I did, I waited for 48hours before calling back in, and got through to a UK agent, who made me reboot my modem a dozen times, each time he was trying something different at their end (so maybe they really can't remote reboot the modems), finally he said "Could you disconnect any PC or routers from the modem, then reboot it, wait 2 minutes or so for it to settle, then connect them back again?", so I did so, and low and behold, the upgrade went through.

Seems sometimes having something connected to it, can stop the upgrade going through, but that doesn't make sense to me, however, it worked, so I was happy.

Peter_
04-02-2009, 22:43
I dont doubt what u have heard, but thats utter crap. They have the facility to check the working status of them modem, see whats going on etc yet they cant reboot it ? . . . . .
They have the facility on the EX-Telewest side to reboot modems but it seems that facility is not able to see all accounts and EX-NTL have never had this facility on there systems, remember they were 2 completely different companies in the main using different software and hardware until the merger.

keyholder
05-02-2009, 20:15
They have the facility on the EX-Telewest side to reboot modems but it seems that facility is not able to see all accounts and EX-NTL have never had this facility on there systems, remember they were 2 completely different companies in the main using different software and hardware until the merger.

In the words of a pirate ... AArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhh :D

General Maximus
05-02-2009, 23:29
i am ex-ntl and when i have upgraded in the past or had any problems the person on the end of the phone has been able to remotely reboot my modem and they even told me they were doing it as it was happening. The upgrades take seconds to come into effevt as well.

lambyUK
05-02-2009, 23:56
I upgraded yesterday to 10mb from 2mb. However NOTHING has happened. Its annoying this is Im renting the house im currently in and the landlady is the account holder (and lives in a different country!!). I tried calling the customer services and stated the situation but they wouldnt do anything about it...despite talking to me for 10 minutes, asking the post code and account holder name. I argued why should she have to ring back to activate something that was already requested!?! He said the broadband team and sales team are SEPERATE!?! I told him that was a load of rubbish.

Dont get me wrong, I understand the data protection act, but certainly dont talk to me for 10 minutes about the account to then get to a resolution...only to tell me that until he speaks to the account holder that he wont send the bloody signal!!!!