PDA

View Full Version : Cabling in new flat

malc442
02-02-2009, 14:38
Hi

I live in a flat with virgin media cabling pre-installed already in some of the rooms. The cabling was not finished so had no connectors at the end. When I moved in I got Virgin Media to install and connect their service in the living room (broadband, tv and phone). The engineer came and installed and activated the service and put a connector on the end of the cable so it could be used.

When the engineer came to install the service he had to go to the ground floor cupboard where all the flats cables run to, so he could activate it.

Now I want to move the Set top box to the bedroom. I have the cabling in the bedroom but has no end connector. Is it likely that this port is active or would I need to call Virgin to activate it?

thanks

Jonnymeg
02-02-2009, 15:19
My guess is that the other cables are not VM.
There is usually only one cable to each flat which would then be split there.

malc442
02-02-2009, 16:22
Thanks for your quick reponse.
I think its definitley a virgin media cable as the wiring looks exactly the same as the living room. Also I can't think of what else it might be.

Do you know how much Virgin Media would charge to send an engineer around to connect it up?

thanks

Chris
02-02-2009, 16:29
They would charge you £99 to move your set-top box, regardless of whether or not the cable in the other room is a Virgin cable.

Before you call them, it would do you no harm to get a standard aerial jack and screw it onto the end of the cable. Plug it directly into your TV and see what you get. If it isn't a Virgin cable the only other thing it could be is a normal terrestrial aerial cable, and if it is, then you should be able to tune your TV to analogue 1-5 on it.

If that doesn't work, you could try putting an f-connector on it, and attaching your STB to it, to see if it sniffs out your cable subscription. If you discover VM signals on it that way (unlikely, as Johnny says), just make sure you do a very good job with the f-connector so you don't degrade your cable service and, potentially, the service for everyone else in your block as well.

But is it not possible that the cable in the other room looks exactly like the Virgin cable because the builder wired the entire building in the first place? The cable necessary for cable TV can very easily be deployed for a terrestrial rig as well.