PDA

View Full Version : Does this coax socket mean I'm cabled up?

Pookie
01-02-2009, 12:37
Hi everyone,

I hope you can help - I'm new to this forum.

I'm already with Virgin but I only have an ADSL connection. I called them up wanting to upgrade to cable broadband but they didn't have my address in their list - they had every single other flat, but not mine. So it was a no.

I did a bit of snooping and found what looks like a cable socket in my living room, but it's right where I would expect a TV cable socket to be. Does this mean that the wiring does exist for cable broadband too, or are the two completely different?

http://www.geocities.com/ladee_pookie/socket.jpg

After explaining this to about 4 different people at Virgin, the furthest I could get was to an answerphone... They asked me to leave my details and they said that they would get back to me when the service was available in my area. They didn't even offer to come and have a look at my set up.

What do you think?

Kymmy
01-02-2009, 12:43
You need to check outside the house for either a grey/brown cable box attached to the outside wall with a cable going into and out of it..

But what that looks like is a possible distribution socket for a normal TV antenna.. Cable these days has a small white box with an F socket (like what you see on the back of a sat receiver...)

But again VM is an amalgamation of lots of older companies and each one did it differently ;)

brundles
01-02-2009, 12:44
There's plenty of experts on here, but that just looks like a standard co-ax socket to me. The VM socket will normally be a branded (which brand depends on the age of the install) box on the wall.

Halcyon
01-02-2009, 12:59
I'd say that looks like a normal aerial socket. Possibly one for youre Tv and one for your radio.

As others have said you need to trace it back and see where the wire goes.

dd11
01-02-2009, 14:57
Looks like the normal socket coming from a roof aerial to me.
try plugging a small tv into it using an aerial lead.

would have been handy to have some cable sockets already in place though,
i dunno if they would charge the installation or not if it had of been?